Road Cycling · Public discussion

How Much Difference Do Shoes Make?

Started by Jorg Lueke · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,805 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 June 2007
Last activity
11 June 2007
Original author
Jorg Lueke
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,805
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. landotter said:

    I never tightened my straps when I rode slot cleats, and never pulled
    out. If such shoes were still readily available, I'd likely still ride
    clips and straps. I like the positive feel. My 105 platforms from
    circa '90 were the pinnacle of feel and comfort.

    I wouldn't go back for love or money. I find clipless pedals/cleats to
    be much more comfortable. I also sometimes walk, and walking with
    slotted cleats (they were metal, back in the day, not plastic) was very
    awkward and slippery on many surfaces. Mountain-bike style clipless
    pedals (mine are Speedplay Frogs) allow you to walk without walking like
    a duck, and without damaging floors.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
    little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Jorg Lueke said:

    I use the regular strap in peddles that came with my bike and
    regular sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and
    sturdy, but obviously not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much
    difference? Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour
    or two of riding?

    I don't think you could detect efficiency but if you ride forcefully,
    you will notice that you can do things that are not possible with
    unattached shoes or even ones with straps and clips.

    Anything that can be done with ski-like cleated pedal/shoe
    combinations can be done with toeclips & straps. And that's
    a down-to-earth fact.

    It's also a fact that plastic-y toeclips such as Mt Zephals
    or Christophes along with slidy cordura straps on cage pedals
    with enough platform, are lovely. They allow the use of almost
    any sort of shoe, and the toeclips provide an armature around
    which to surround with pieces of inner tube rubber attached to
    the pedals with zip ties so as to protect shoes from rain.
    Cheaper and better than neoprene booties.

    Okay, I don't like the Christophe toeclips as much. I'm not
    terribly enthusiastic about those three-bolt Shimano 105
    thingies after all, either. Not enough toe box. The pedals
    are pretty, though.

    I suspect a lot of people shine on toeclips because they get a
    new bike with them installed as shop floor placeholders, find it
    difficult to stick their feet in them, and then move on to
    clipless pedals in the hopes that they're easier to use.

    With the mountain bike toeclips & straps of which I speak,
    fearmongering statements about being "locked in" are a canard.
    It's a simple matter to squirm one's feet out of them instantly,
    no matter how tightly they're cinched.

    Quoted message said:

    This is similar to the introduction of step-in pedals when it was
    common to see riders lying on the ground in the pedals because they
    forgot lat minute that getting out of clips and straps was done by
    lifting while step-in pedals required a twist, one that experienced
    riders used to remain in the pedal.

    Now you're talking about external cleats along with
    clips & straps. I'm talking about using clips & straps
    without the external, bolt-on, clackety cleats. Those
    things are to be reserved for the velodrome, along with
    double-strap toeclips. Mountain bike toeclips are a
    completely different system, designed with impromptu
    foot extractions in mind. Because there are no external
    cleats involved, all one needs to do to extract from them
    is to pull the feet backward and out. No lifting. Which
    I think is more intuitive than doing the Shimano, Chubby
    Checker Twist thing.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  3. (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Jorg Lueke writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I use the regular strap in peddles that came with my bike and
    regular sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and
    sturdy, but obviously not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much
    difference? Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour
    or two of riding?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think you could detect efficiency but if you ride forcefully,
    you will notice that you can do things that are not possible with
    unattached shoes or even ones with straps and clips.

    Anything that can be done with ski-like cleated pedal/shoe
    combinations can be done with toeclips & straps. And that's
    a down-to-earth fact.

    It's also a fact that plastic-y toeclips such as Mt Zephals
    or Christophes along with slidy cordura straps on cage pedals
    with enough platform, are lovely. They allow the use of almost
    any sort of shoe, and the toeclips provide an armature around
    which to surround with pieces of inner tube rubber attached to
    the pedals with zip ties so as to protect shoes from rain.
    Cheaper and better than neoprene booties.

    The generic toeclip/strap sets at REI work pretty well. Plenty of toe
    box for my size 46 feet in Blundstone boots. I do prefer leather
    straps, as they don't fray and hold their shape better. The new chrome
    Soma double clips look to be the business as well.

    http://www.somafab.com/toeclip.html

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I don't like the Christophe toeclips as much. I'm not
    terribly enthusiastic about those three-bolt Shimano 105
    thingies after all, either. Not enough toe box. The pedals
    are pretty, though.

    They were my favorite pedal with slot cleats, but pretty awful in any
    sort of street shoe. I think you were supposed to use a special cleat
    with them that not only had a slot, but a pointy bit up front that
    engaged a couple lips for super positive fee. I rode them with stock
    Diadora cleats and they were just wonderful.

    Quoted message said:


    I suspect a lot of people shine on toeclips because they get a
    new bike with them installed as shop floor placeholders, find it
    difficult to stick their feet in them, and then move on to
    clipless pedals in the hopes that they're easier to use.
    Now you're talking about external cleats along with
    clips & straps. I'm talking about using clips & straps
    without the external, bolt-on, clackety cleats. Those
    things are to be reserved for the velodrome, along with
    double-strap toeclips. Mountain bike toeclips are a
    completely different system, designed with impromptu
    foot extractions in mind. Because there are no external
    cleats involved, all one needs to do to extract from them
    is to pull the feet backward and out. No lifting. Which
    I think is more intuitive than doing the Shimano, Chubby
    Checker Twist thing.

    I like spds and their clones. Simple and cheap. Lots of shoes you can
    mount them to. However, I do miss riding slots, as I could go for a
    training ride on the same bike that I used to buy post workout
    recovery beer. ;-) When I wear out my current spds, I might indeed
    mount up the ole MKS quills and have A. Muzi send me some of those
    nifty two bolt slot cleats they sell:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html

    The price is a bit of a shocker for a wee bit of nylon.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.