How Often Should I Clean My Chain

Robert Lee

Guest
May 27, 2006

To: Rec.bicycles.tech

How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
miles.

Robert Lee wrote:

> May 27, 2006
>
> To: Rec.bicycles.tech
>
> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
> miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> miles.

I sense a troll.

But if not, do a search on this NG's previous postings for this subject.
Discussed to death many many times. No firm conclusions reached but many
good and bad ideas expressed.

/Robert

Robert Lee wrote:

> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
> miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> miles.

As often as *you* need to keep the chain looking as clean as *you* like.

Mark

Robert Lee writes:

> May 27, 2006

> To: Rec.bicycles.tech

> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of miles
> traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> miles.

How often should I wash my hands?

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> Robert Lee writes:
>
> > May 27, 2006

> > To: Rec.bicycles.tech

> > How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of miles
> > traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> > miles.

> How often should I wash my hands?
>
> Jobst Brandt

Every 3-500 miles.

On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:30:08 GMT, Robert <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
>> miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
>> miles.

>I sense a troll.

Next thing he'll be asking us what we think about using wax as a
lubricant ...

Andrew Price says...

> Next thing he'll be asking us what we think about using wax as a
> lubricant ...

I just crashed. Man, am I glad I was wearing a helmet!

Andrew Price wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:30:08 GMT, Robert <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
> >> miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> >> miles.

> >I sense a troll.

> Next thing he'll be asking us what we think about using wax as a
> lubricant ...

My wife hates the burning sensation of White Lightning, that's about as
much as I'll say.

>To: Rec.bicycles.tech
> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of
>miles traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
>miles.

You can't go by mileage alone. It depends heavily on the conditions.
If you ride in clean conditions you could go a fairly long time. If
you ride in dirty conditions, 250 miles may be too long.
-------------
Alex

landotter wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Robert Lee writes:
> >
> > > May 27, 2006

> > > To: Rec.bicycles.tech

> > > How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of miles
> > > traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> > > miles.

> > How often should I wash my hands?

What's the difference between a bike mechanic and a Doctor?

Doctors wash their hands after they eat, a bike mechanic washes his
hands before he eats...

Barnard Frederick wrote:
> Andrew Price says...
>
>> Next thing he'll be asking us what we think about using wax as a
>> lubricant ...

> I just crashed. Man, am I glad I was wearing a helmet!

Was your light powered by a generator or batteries?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

[email protected] wrote:
> Robert Lee writes:
>
> > May 27, 2006

> > To: Rec.bicycles.tech

> > How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of miles
> > traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> > miles.

> How often should I wash my hands?

Before putting them in your mouth. Every time. (You don't know where
those hands have been.)

dkl

Robert Lee writes:

> May 27, 2006

> To: Rec.bicycles.tech

> How often should I clean my chain, expressed as the number of miles
> traveled between cleanings. I've seen people say every 250 to 500
> miles.

How often should I wash my hands?

Jobst Brandt
Hands should always be washed after cleaning a bicycle chain.