Road Cycling · Public discussion

how often to ride? & what goals?

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 54 posts · 1,230 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 May 2005
Last activity
23 May 2005
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,230
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Arthur Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There's more to life than bicycling.

    No! Say it ain't so!

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky

    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. Assuming their are no outside distractions; no work, no family
    responsibilities, no life's little chores, no bad weather; how often would
    you ride?

    I'd like to say 'everyday' but the body isn't as young as the mind thinks
    it is. And it is said one should include rest days so you don't get worn
    down.

    I'm thinking I'll aim for 3 - 4 days a week [not counting utility rides]
    with 2 hours being the minimum.

    It doesn't matter whether they seem impressive or insignificant to another.
    To each, his or her own. But I like to set goals or certain loops.

    Goals:

    60/60/60

    I'd like to do a 60 minute swim in the morning a 60 km bike ride in the
    afternoon and another 60 minute swim. I did a 50/50/50 last year. It pretty
    much knackers me for the day. Time to up it a notch.

    A new loop: ~100 km plus

    I haven't decided which loop though. I'm thinking somewhere to the north.
    Their are some railtrails about 30 km north of town. There and back and a
    length of trail should get me over 100 km.

    Anyone else have season goals?

    --
    'I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't do
    So the little got more and more
    I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
    Said a little better than before' -g&r

  3. Thu, 19 May 2005 21:51:17 -0400, <[email hidden]>,

    1oki said:

    Anyone else have season goals?

    Everyday wherever I'm able as soon as physically possible.
    --
    zk

  4. Cycle: 20-40km weekdays, 50-100km Saturday and Sunday.

    Goal: drop 20kg by Christmas '05

  5. 1oki said:

    Assuming their are no outside distractions; no work, no family
    responsibilities, no life's little chores, no bad weather; how often would
    you ride?

    6 days a week, alternating tough rides (hills or fast groups) with
    recovery rides.

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  6. 1. To enjoy each ride, no matter how long or how short, how intense or
    how relaxed.

    2. To have variety in my rides so that some are tough and some are
    relaxing and easy.

    3. To never forget just why I ride and what my personal (not anyone
    elses's) goals are for my bicycling.

    4. To not judge my success in riding by miles or kilometers or average
    speed or top speed, but instead on how many people I have met, how many
    beautiful birds and flowers I have seen, how much new exploring I have
    done, and do I have the "It has been a great ride" feeling at the end
    of the ride.

    And I would also walk and do other worthwhile exercise activities such
    as my weight lifting and my singing.

    And I would do this bicycling as often as I would feel like it,
    sometimes several times per day, sometimes once per week, listening
    carefully to my body for direction as to when to or when to not ride.

    And to be true to myself.

    And what I do would be complete "HERESY" to many of you.

    Have a great day.

  7. 1oki said:

    Assuming their are no outside distractions; no work, no family
    responsibilities, no life's little chores, no bad weather; how often would
    you ride?

    Pretty much daily. Some hard, some long some short, some easy. Most of them in
    the woods. I don't like riding on the road much anymore and the trails are far
    more interesting.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to say 'everyday' but the body isn't as young as the mind thinks
    it is. And it is said one should include rest days so you don't get worn
    down.

    I'm thinking I'll aim for 3 - 4 days a week [not counting utility rides]
    with 2 hours being the minimum.

    I'd rather ride 5-6 days with 1 hour minimum.

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't matter whether they seem impressive or insignificant to another.
    To each, his or her own. But I like to set goals or certain loops.

    Goals:

    60/60/60

    I'd like to do a 60 minute swim in the morning a 60 km bike ride in the
    afternoon and another 60 minute swim. I did a 50/50/50 last year. It pretty
    much knackers me for the day. Time to up it a notch.

    A new loop: ~100 km plus

    I haven't decided which loop though. I'm thinking somewhere to the north.
    Their are some railtrails about 30 km north of town. There and back and a
    length of trail should get me over 100 km.

    Anyone else have season goals?

    Yeah, stay healthy and unbattered. Get my MTB chops up to the point I can ride
    all the trails at Boyette without fear and Alafia without terror. Be ready and
    fit for the 05 cyclocross season.

    Ron

  8. Colorado Bicycler said:

    1. To enjoy each ride, no matter how long or how short, how intense


    or

    Quoted message said:

    how relaxed.

    2. To have variety in my rides so that some are tough and some are
    relaxing and easy.

    3. To never forget just why I ride and what my personal (not anyone
    elses's) goals are for my bicycling.

    4. To not judge my success in riding by miles or kilometers or


    average

    Quoted message said:

    speed or top speed, but instead on how many people I have met, how


    many

    Quoted message said:

    beautiful birds and flowers I have seen, how much new exploring I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    done, and do I have the "It has been a great ride" feeling at the end
    of the ride.

    And I would also walk and do other worthwhile exercise activities


    such

    Quoted message said:

    as my weight lifting and my singing.

    And I would do this bicycling as often as I would feel like it,
    sometimes several times per day, sometimes once per week, listening
    carefully to my body for direction as to when to or when to not ride.

    And to be true to myself.

    And what I do would be complete "HERESY" to many of you.

    Have a great day.

    I am printing this out and putting in near my bicycle and in my office.
    It is a beautiful goal. Beautifully thought out, beautifully written
    and it is a reminder of that very famous line from Hamlet.....

    To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day,
    thou canst not then be false to any man.

    Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3

    Thank you for sharing that goal. It truly is beautiful.

    Most Sincerely,
    Maggie

  9. 1oki said:

    Assuming their are no outside distractions; no work, no family
    responsibilities, no life's little chores, no bad weather; how often would
    you ride?

    I'd like to say 'everyday' but the body isn't as young as the mind thinks
    it is. And it is said one should include rest days so you don't get worn
    down.

    I'm thinking I'll aim for 3 - 4 days a week [not counting utility rides]
    with 2 hours being the minimum.

    It doesn't matter whether they seem impressive or insignificant to another.
    To each, his or her own. But I like to set goals or certain loops.

    Goals:

    60/60/60

    I'd like to do a 60 minute swim in the morning a 60 km bike ride in the
    afternoon and another 60 minute swim. I did a 50/50/50 last year. It pretty
    much knackers me for the day. Time to up it a notch.

    A new loop: ~100 km plus

    I haven't decided which loop though. I'm thinking somewhere to the north.
    Their are some railtrails about 30 km north of town. There and back and a
    length of trail should get me over 100 km.

    Anyone else have season goals?

    --
    'I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't do
    So the little got more and more
    I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
    Said a little better than before' -g&r


    My goal current goal is get up to 20 mi per day 6 days a week,
    alternating days with hard and recovery rides, hard ride being 20 mi in
    1:00:00 to 1:15:00 and a recovery ride 20 mi in > 1:30:00. Once I reach
    that I'll stretch the recovery rides out to 30 or 40 mi to increase
    endurance. Ultimate goal is to do a century in September or October.

    --
    Roy Owen

    Keep the leather side up,
    and the rubber side down.

  10. Colorado Bicycler said:

    And what I do would be complete "HERESY" to many of you.

    You forgot "Try to be less of a paranoid inverted snob" :-)

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  11. Colorado Bicycler said:

    1. To enjoy each ride, no matter how long or how short, how intense
    or how relaxed.

    2. To have variety in my rides so that some are tough and some are
    relaxing and easy.

    3. To never forget just why I ride and what my personal (not anyone
    elses's) goals are for my bicycling.

    4. To not judge my success in riding by miles or kilometers or
    average speed or top speed, but instead on how many people I have
    met, how many beautiful birds and flowers I have seen, how much new
    exploring I have done, and do I have the "It has been a great ride"
    feeling at the end of the ride.

    And I would also walk and do other worthwhile exercise activities such
    as my weight lifting and my singing.

    And I would do this bicycling as often as I would feel like it,
    sometimes several times per day, sometimes once per week, listening
    carefully to my body for direction as to when to or when to not ride.

    Just how far CAN Fabrizio stick his finger down his throat?!?

    :-D

  12. Colorado Bicycler said:


    And to be true to myself.

    And what I do would be complete "HERESY" to many of you.

    Oh, get over yourself.

  13. 1oki said:

    Assuming their are no outside distractions; no work, no family
    responsibilities, no life's little chores, no bad weather; how often would
    you ride?

    There's more to life than bicycling. Those "outside distractions" are what
    life is all about. Don't let bicycling become another chore that you force
    yourself to do even when you don't feel like it.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to say 'everyday' but the body isn't as young as the mind thinks
    it is. And it is said one should include rest days so you don't get worn
    down.

    My experience is that up to a point, the more I ride, the more I want to
    ride. But when I start making specific goals (mileage, speed, number of
    rides per week, etc.), then it gets to be more like a chore.

    If you're competing, you need a strict training regimen. But if riding for
    fitness and enjoyment, give yourself some flexibility. That may mean riding
    more than you planned, or less, depending how you feel.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to do a 60 minute swim in the morning a 60 km bike ride in the
    afternoon and another 60 minute swim. I did a 50/50/50 last year. It
    pretty much knackers me for the day. Time to up it a notch.

    Why?

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone else have season goals?

    Ride lots and have fun. Find some new routes to explore.

    Art Harris

  14. Peter Cole said:
    Colorado Bicycler said:


    And to be true to myself.

    And what I do would be complete "HERESY" to many of you.

    Oh, get over yourself.

    I see a real Peter Cole pattern emerging here.

    Not quite sure what your problem is, but . . . some "serious" cyclists
    would quite likely look straight down on CB's more lackadaisical
    approach.

    Do you feel better jumping on people like this (or me) so forcefully?
    Can't you just resist the urge to post these kind of negative and
    pointless replies? Just say it aloud in your living room, then move
    on.

  15. Bill Sornson said:

    Just how far CAN Fabrizio stick his finger down his throat?!?


    Be kind, be sweet, be a gentle man.....
    Care and share and always be fair......

    NOW STICK YOUR FINGER DOWN YOUR THROAT.

    One guy writes something beautiful, and the testoserone Possie attacks.

    Maggie.

  16. "Arthur Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "1oki" wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to do a 60 minute swim in the morning a 60 km bike ride in the
    afternoon and another 60 minute swim. I did a 50/50/50 last year. It
    pretty much knackers me for the day. Time to up it a notch.

    Why?

    To acheive a goal. To cahllenge oneself.

    Why not?

    --
    'Between fight and flight
    Is a blind man's sight
    And a choice that's right' -jewel

  17. Maggie said:
    Bill Sornson said:

    Just how far CAN Fabrizio stick his finger down his throat?!?


    Be kind, be sweet, be a gentle man.....
    Care and share and always be fair......

    NOW STICK YOUR FINGER DOWN YOUR THROAT.

    One guy writes something beautiful, and the testoserone Possie
    attacks.

    Actually, Mags, just to be clear... That was my way of saying I *liked*
    what CO-Bi wrote. (That it caused Fab to gag is a GOOD thing.)

    The Anti-Fab Bill (love his posts, though)

  18. Bill Sornson said:

    Actually, Mags, just to be clear... That was my way of saying I


    *liked*

    Quoted message said:

    what CO-Bi wrote. (That it caused Fab to gag is a GOOD thing.)

    The Anti-Fab Bill (love his posts, though)

    SORRY BILL!!! My apologies. Forgive me?

    Mags

  19. Maggie said:
    Bill Sornson said:

    Actually, Mags, just to be clear... That was my way of saying I
    *liked* what CO-Bi wrote. (That it caused Fab to gag is a GOOD
    thing.)

    The Anti-Fab Bill (love his posts, though)

    SORRY BILL!!! My apologies. Forgive me?

    Except for an ex-wife or two, I can't stay mad at a woman. (Especially if I
    never was in the first place ;-) )

    Enjoy your bike ride this weekend!

    BS (no, I mean it)

  20. Bill Sornson said:

    Enjoy your bike ride this weekend!

    BS (no, I mean it)

    I just heard it is going to rain. Lucky me. How many ex-wives do you
    have?

    Maggie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.