General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How "Ribeye's" are Marketed

Started by Steve Wertz · · Last activity · 22 posts · 771 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 February 2006
Last activity
28 February 2006
Original author
Steve Wertz
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
771
Views / 30 days
18

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9.

    But in the grocery stores (especially when they're on sale), I see
    rib steaks labeled as ribeye's that clearly came from every part
    of the rib roast, small and large.

    Today I went to a "real" butcher, so "real" that the health
    department requires that the meat be handled only in a dedicated
    room not accessible to the public (something about because they
    also do wholesole). They can't display the meat in the same room
    as the customers. You can watch them work through a window,
    though.

    You place your order with the "receptionist" in the waiting room:
    specify type of animal, cut, grade, thickness, etc... They
    forward the order to the cutters and maybe 10 minutes later
    (depending on how busy they are), you get your meat all wrapped up
    with your bill and pay the receptionist.

    I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb). When I got
    home I noticed these were from the large end as opposed to the
    small end, which really got me mad as I always insist on the small
    ends. Usually I'd be able to point and choose , but that's not
    possible at this place. These being professional meat guys, I
    figured I wouldn't need to be redundant and specify "ribeye, from
    the small end".

    Are meat purveyors required to abide by the USDA established terms
    "ribeye" and "rib steak"? I couldn't find anything obvious on the
    USDA website. The Guide to Meat Cuts will probably back up my
    impression of these two different cuts, but are they required to
    market using these terms?

    -sw

  2. Steve Wertz said:

    Are meat purveyors required to abide by the USDA established terms
    "ribeye" and "rib steak"? I couldn't find anything obvious on the
    USDA website. The Guide to Meat Cuts will probably back up my
    impression of these two different cuts, but are they required to
    market using these terms?

    A ribeye is effectively the heart of a rib steak. Cut away the bone,
    and the outer swirls of fat, leaving the best part--that is a ribeye.
    Matters not what rib is attached to the rib steak.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  3. Steve Wertz said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9.

    But in the grocery stores (especially when they're on sale), I see
    rib steaks labeled as ribeye's that clearly came from every part
    of the rib roast, small and large.

    Today I went to a "real" butcher, so "real" that the health
    department requires that the meat be handled only in a dedicated
    room not accessible to the public (something about because they
    also do wholesole). They can't display the meat in the same room
    as the customers. You can watch them work through a window,
    though.

    You place your order with the "receptionist" in the waiting room:
    specify type of animal, cut, grade, thickness, etc... They
    forward the order to the cutters and maybe 10 minutes later
    (depending on how busy they are), you get your meat all wrapped up
    with your bill and pay the receptionist.

    I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb). When I got
    home I noticed these were from the large end as opposed to the
    small end, which really got me mad as I always insist on the small
    ends. Usually I'd be able to point and choose , but that's not
    possible at this place. These being professional meat guys, I
    figured I wouldn't need to be redundant and specify "ribeye, from
    the small end".

    Are meat purveyors required to abide by the USDA established terms
    "ribeye" and "rib steak"? I couldn't find anything obvious on the
    USDA website. The Guide to Meat Cuts will probably back up my
    impression of these two different cuts, but are they required to
    market using these terms?

    Fascinating. I'll have to print it off and show it to the butcher. They're all "rib eye" here, no idea which end of the beast is used.

    Don't think I know of an establishment where the meat is kept away from the customers in a retail setting, must be an American thing. I know a poultry place like that, duck and game actually, but they are basically wholesalers who supply to the trade and retail customers are more of a sideline.

    Christine

  4. On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:15:54 +1100, Old Mother Ashby
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [Refusing to reformat these *long* lines...]

    Quoted message said:

    Don't think I know of an establishment where the meat is kept away from the customers in a retail setting, must be an American thing. I know a poultry place like that, duck and game actually, but they are basically wholesalers who supply to the trade and retail customers are more of a sideline.

    It's *not* an American thing, though. This is the only place I've
    seen do it. Apparently it has to adhere to more stringent hygiene
    standards because of the wholesale accounts it services.

    I have seen this setup at several halal butchers, though. I don't
    think it's for hygiene, though.

    -sw

  5. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Old Mother Ashby said:

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Today I went to a "real" butcher, so "real" that the health
    department requires that the meat be handled only in a dedicated
    room not accessible to the public (something about because they
    also do wholesole). They can't display the meat in the same room
    as the customers. You can watch them work through a window,
    though.

    Quoted message said:


    Don't think I know of an establishment where the meat is kept away from the
    customers in a retail setting, must be an American thing. I know a poultry
    place like that, duck and game actually, but they are basically wholesalers
    who supply to the trade and retail customers are more of a sideline.

    Christine

    Same as what Steve mentioned, Christine - that wholesale thang.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, on Wed, 22 Feb

    2006 23:46:25 -0600 said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9

    I checked my NAMP Meat Buyers Guide (the industry standard guide, and
    the basis of the USDA IMPS, http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/imps.htm
    ). You're confusing a few terms.

    The ribeye, NAMP #112, is the single longissimus muscle cut from the
    beef rib primal, which goes from ribs 6 - 12 (NAMP #103).

    The "ribeye steak" can be cut from anywhere on the single ribeye
    (longissimus) muscle. This is NAMP #1112C.

    The "rib steak" can be cut from *anything* on the rib primal, and may or
    may not include the ribeye muscle. This is NAMP #1103 (#1103A if
    boneless).

    Neither of the portion cuts specify where on the rib they should be cut.

    --
    Seth Goodman

  7. Seth Goodman said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, on Wed, 22 Feb

    2006 23:46:25 -0600 said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9

    I checked my NAMP Meat Buyers Guide (the industry standard guide, and
    the basis of the USDA IMPS, http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/imps.htm
    ). You're confusing a few terms.

    The ribeye, NAMP #112, is the single longissimus muscle cut from the
    beef rib primal, which goes from ribs 6 - 12 (NAMP #103).

    The "ribeye steak" can be cut from anywhere on the single ribeye
    (longissimus) muscle. This is NAMP #1112C.

    The "rib steak" can be cut from *anything* on the rib primal, and may or
    may not include the ribeye muscle. This is NAMP #1103 (#1103A if
    boneless).

    Neither of the portion cuts specify where on the rib they should be cut.

    Your URL doesn't really point to anything specific. I searched a few
    of the files but found nothing pertaining to rib steaks, only rib
    roasts. As far as I know a ribeye steak is indeed cut from the
    longissimus, is well trimmed and is boneless; the most flavorless beef
    cut there is, the infantile beef cut. A rib steak can be cut from
    anywhere on the rib primal and typically includes the bone, and because
    it does include the bone and is not so well trimmed is more flavorful,
    not great flavor but passable... the rib is popular, especially at
    large catered functions, because many people really don't like the
    taste of beef... invariably when I've seen folks eat standing rib they
    only eat the eye and never touch the rest, they are especially
    frightened to gnaw around the bone, the only worthwhile portion of the
    rib section.

    Sheldon

  8. On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:46:25 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email hidden]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    Quoted message said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9.

    But in the grocery stores (especially when they're on sale), I see
    rib steaks labeled as ribeye's that clearly came from every part
    of the rib roast, small and large.

    <snip>

    I dunno which end of the prime rib roast they're sending me, but once
    I started ordering rib eyes from Allen Bros., no one else would do. My
    first rib eye from them was so utterly spectacular that I'll never buy
    locally again. I had no idea, evidently, what a good, really good rib
    eye tasted like. And, no, I have no stake in the company. They're just
    that good. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny, IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

  9. Seth Goodman said:

    I checked my NAMP Meat Buyers Guide (the industry standard guide, and
    the basis of the USDA IMPS, http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/imps.htm
    ). You're confusing a few terms.

    That's what I was looking for...

    Quoted message said:

    The ribeye, NAMP #112, is the single longissimus muscle cut from the
    beef rib primal, which goes from ribs 6 - 12 (NAMP #103).

    The "ribeye steak" can be cut from anywhere on the single ribeye
    (longissimus) muscle. This is NAMP #1112C.

    So there's two different terms then. Ribeye, and Ribeye steak.
    "Ribeye" being just the center muscle without the tail (never
    really sold that way, is it?), and "Ribeye Steak" being the cross
    section of the whole rib roast?

    Hmm. I've seen several places where "rib eye" two words, or "Rib,
    eye" is from ribs 10-12. One that I'm looking at now is the USDA
    SR18 database.

    Lemme download the 2meg file now and take a look at those cuts.
    I never really had to distinguish between the two in real life
    since I always get to pick my roast or steak.

    -sw

  10. On 23 Feb 2006 17:16:23 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Your URL doesn't really point to anything specific. I searched a few
    of the files but found nothing pertaining to rib steaks, only rib
    roasts. As far as I know a ribeye steak is indeed cut from the
    longissimus, is well trimmed and is boneless; the most flavorless beef
    cut there is, the infantile beef cut.

    Now I'm even more confused. If the longissimus is one muscle,
    then this must be the muscle that runs right through the center of
    the rib roast. That would make this cut resemble (visually, at
    least) a big long eye round. I've never seen just this muscle for
    sale, in roasts or in cross-sectioned steaks. It always contains
    the surrounding rib meat.

    Still downloading the file.... slow dialup....

    Quoted message said:

    not great flavor but passable... the rib is popular, especially at
    large catered functions, because many people really don't like the
    taste of beef... invariably when I've seen folks eat standing rib they
    only eat the eye and never touch the rest, they are especially
    frightened to gnaw around the bone, the only worthwhile portion of the
    rib section.

    This is the best tasting steak out there, _IMO_. Your opinion
    differs. I eat the whole thing, not just the eye. I don't know
    who you've been hanging around, but I've never seen anybody eat
    just the eye (longissmuss?) and leave the surrounding tissues.

    I much prefer the surrounding tissue more than the actual eye
    (hence the reason for my post), but the lusciousness <cough> of
    the outside portion makes up for the somewhat blander interior.
    That why I look for cuts from the small end - less longissmuss
    whatever...

    -sw

  11. Sheldon said:
    Seth Goodman said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, on Wed, 22 Feb

    2006 23:46:25 -0600 said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9


    I checked my NAMP Meat Buyers Guide (the industry standard guide, and
    the basis of the USDA IMPS, http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/imps.htm
    ). You're confusing a few terms.

    The ribeye, NAMP #112, is the single longissimus muscle cut from the
    beef rib primal, which goes from ribs 6 - 12 (NAMP #103).

    The "ribeye steak" can be cut from anywhere on the single ribeye
    (longissimus) muscle. This is NAMP #1112C.

    The "rib steak" can be cut from *anything* on the rib primal, and may or
    may not include the ribeye muscle. This is NAMP #1103 (#1103A if
    boneless).

    Neither of the portion cuts specify where on the rib they should be cut.

    Your URL doesn't really point to anything specific. I searched a few
    of the files but found nothing pertaining to rib steaks, only rib
    roasts. As far as I know a ribeye steak is indeed cut from the
    longissimus, is well trimmed and is boneless; the most flavorless beef
    cut there is, the infantile beef cut. A rib steak can be cut from
    anywhere on the rib primal and typically includes the bone, and because
    it does include the bone and is not so well trimmed is more flavorful,
    not great flavor but passable... the rib is popular, especially at
    large catered functions, because many people really don't like the
    taste of beef... invariably when I've seen folks eat standing rib they
    only eat the eye and never touch the rest, they are especially
    frightened to gnaw around the bone, the only worthwhile portion of the
    rib section.

    Sheldon


    This is getting a bit confusing to an Aussie.

    We have filet (or eye filet), the tender but flavourless cut that you
    use for filet mingnon - that sounds like your ribeye. Then we have
    ribeye (my favourite steak), which is the steak with the rib bone
    attached, much larger (sometimes ginormous) with a bit of fat through it
    which adds to the flavour. This can also be purchased as a rib roast.
    And we have scotch filet, which has no bone and has a bit of fat through
    it and a decent flavour. It is usually cut fairly thin and is good for
    steak sandwiches.

    And of course there's porterhouse and rump and t-bones, none of which I
    bother with. I never buy rump steak, but we often have rump roast,
    especially since the butcher gave up doing rolled sirloin (which was
    always a bit fatty).

    I think there's a chart in the relevant Time/Life Good Cook volume, must
    go and have a look - I seem to recall that it shows British, American
    and Continental cuts.

    Christine
    Why is everything so complicated?

  12. Steve Wertz said:

    A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 10-12.

    A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
    roast, rib #'s 6-9.

    But in the grocery stores (especially when they're on sale), I see
    rib steaks labeled as ribeye's that clearly came from every part
    of the rib roast, small and large.


    Did they include the improperly used apostrophe?

    Quoted message said:


    -sw

    --Bryan

  13. Steve Wertz said:

    I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb).

    AKA, the "P.T. Barnum Steak."

    --Blair

  14. Steve Wertz said:

    On 23 Feb 2006 17:16:23 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email hidden]>
    Now I'm even more confused. If the longissimus is one muscle,
    then this must be the muscle that runs right through the center of
    the rib roast.

    Right. It's the "eye" of the rib primal. Hence, Rib Eye.

    If you just take a steak off the whole primal, it's a Rib Steak, with a
    Rib Eye embedded in it.

    Quoted message said:

    This is the best tasting steak out there, _IMO_. Your opinion
    differs. I eat the whole thing, not just the eye.

    It's good, but it's fatty. When I get them I'll grudgingly suffer the
    fattiness of the lean tissues, but I dissect around them and leave
    the contiguous adipose on the plate.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know
    who you've been hanging around, but I've never seen anybody eat
    just the eye (longissmuss?) and leave the surrounding tissues.

    I don't know if I've ever seen a true Rib Eye sold or served anywhere.

    Whether anyone really knows the difference anymore seems to be
    lost anthropology.

    Quoted message said:

    I much prefer the surrounding tissue more than the actual eye
    (hence the reason for my post), but the lusciousness <cough> of

    Have that cough checked; it could be related to arteriosclerosis.

    Quoted message said:

    the outside portion makes up for the somewhat blander interior.
    That why I look for cuts from the small end - less longissmuss
    whatever...

    Check out Flat-Iron steaks. A properly cut one (no connective tissue)
    is almost as tasty as a Hanger Steak and beats a Rib Steak for
    flavor if not perhaps for tenderness.

    --Blair

  15. Sheldon said:

    Your URL doesn't really point to anything specific. I searched a few
    of the files but found nothing pertaining to rib steaks, only rib
    roasts.

    http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100.pdf

    Items Nos. 1103, 1112, 1112A, and 1112B.

    You idiot.

    --Blair

    P.S. What an awesomely informative website that is.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, on

    25 Feb 2006 15:56:54 -0800 said:


    Sheldon said:

    Your URL doesn't really point to anything specific. I searched a few
    of the files but found nothing pertaining to rib steaks, only rib
    roasts.

    http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100.pdf

    Items Nos. 1103, 1112, 1112A, and 1112B.

    You idiot.

    --Blair

    P.S. What an awesomely informative website that is.

    If you like that site, try this one, too:

    http://www.meattrack.com/BackgroundURMIS.php

    Hope you've got a broadband connection. ;-)

    --
    Seth Goodman

  17. Blair P. Houghton said:

    Right. It's the "eye" of the rib primal. Hence, Rib Eye.

    If you just take a steak off the whole primal, it's a Rib Steak, with a
    Rib Eye embedded in it.

    Do you ever see them sold that way? That's a prefect way to ruin
    a good steak. Not to mention -= what would the butcher do with
    the leftover meat? Certainly not make it into $2.50/lb hamburger
    when he could sell it as a rib steak for $8.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know if I've ever seen a true Rib Eye sold or served anywhere.

    OK, then. Either have I.

    Quoted message said:

    Check out Flat-Iron steaks. A properly cut one (no connective tissue)
    is almost as tasty as a Hanger Steak and beats a Rib Steak for
    flavor if not perhaps for tenderness.

    All the flati-rons I see are cross cut against the grain (with the
    gristle). I really like the hanger/flap meat, which brings up my
    #1 reason to shop at CostCo.

    -sw

  18. Blair P. Houghton said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb).

    AKA, the "P.T. Barnum Steak."

    You buy Select grade, I buy top Choice or Prime.

    -sw

  19. Seth Goodman said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, on

    25 Feb 2006 15:56:54 -0800 said:

    P.S. What an awesomely informative website that is.

    If you like that site, try this one, too:

    http://www.meattrack.com/BackgroundURMIS.php

    Hope you've got a broadband connection. ;-)

    I have, but they don't, it would appear...

    ....and could they ever do with a lesson in color management.

    --Blair

  20. Steve Wertz said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb).

    AKA, the "P.T. Barnum Steak."

    You buy Select grade, I buy top Choice or Prime.

    I buy Choice and pay half that.

    --Blair
    "Step right up!"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.