How tight should cycling shorts be

Brian

Guest
Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.

Initially bought a pair of large size Halfords own brand last week, seem to
fit OK.

Bought a pair of Endura 6 panel shorts today, tried L on in the shop,
seemed too tight, so I bought an XL, but trying them on at home they are a
bit baggy.

Normally take size 34" waist trousers.

Hopefully be able to exchange the shorts for another size. Just not sure
how tight the shorts should be.

--
Brian

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.
>
> Initially bought a pair of large size Halfords own brand last week, seem

> fit OK.
>
> Bought a pair of Endura 6 panel shorts today, tried L on in the shop,
> seemed too tight, so I bought an XL, but trying them on at home they are a
> bit baggy.
>
> Normally take size 34" waist trousers.
>
> Hopefully be able to exchange the shorts for another size. Just not sure
> how tight the shorts should be.
>

> --
> Brian

Ignore all reference to sizing or size comparisons with cycle clothing - it
makes no sense at all! I think you will find that cycling shorts will be
more comfortable on the "tightish" side - bear in mind that the Lycra gives
and eventually starts to "slacken" with age (ask a woman about Lycra
swimsuits, they "bag" after a while ... or at least that's what my wife told
me!)

The ONLY answer is to try them on in a shop.

RG

Brian wrote:

> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.

As tight as you can tolerate. Lycra shorts that are at all baggy won't
provide enough support up-front, can slip down, pad can be positioned
wrongly, and the backside can even snag on the saddle nose when you go to
sit back & down.

8-panel shorts fit a little better than 6-panel. I'm very pleased with
Lusso 8-Pro from Wiggle (better quality than the Endura equiv.), in a size
smaller than I've ever worn before with other brands.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Brian wrote:

> As tight as you can tolerate. Lycra shorts that are at all baggy
> won't provide enough support up-front, can slip down, pad can be
> positioned wrongly, and the backside can even snag on the saddle nose
> when you go to sit back & down.

Which could be rather embarrasing!

Think I'll switch them for Large size.

--
Brian

Brian wrote:

>> As tight as you can tolerate. Lycra shorts that are at all baggy
>> won't provide enough support up-front, can slip down, pad can be
>> positioned wrongly, and the backside can even snag on the saddle nose
>> when you go to sit back & down.

> Which could be rather embarrasing!

"Ooh look dear, full moon tonight", says the passenger in the car behind
you as the lights turn green.

~PB

Greetings,

lardy as I am, I'm somewhat insulted by certain Italien brands that list
their XL as being a 28" waist! I hate to think what my 36" tyre would be
considered as!

Go with what is comfortable, whilst still tight enough to offer support.
Remember, they will stretch with use and a few washes, so don't be too put
off by any restrictions on the first ride. I always go for bibs; they seem
to be more comfortable as they don't bisect my lard!

T.T.F.N.

SPENNY
"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.
>
> Initially bought a pair of large size Halfords own brand last week, seem

> fit OK.
>
> Bought a pair of Endura 6 panel shorts today, tried L on in the shop,
> seemed too tight, so I bought an XL, but trying them on at home they are a
> bit baggy.
>
> Normally take size 34" waist trousers.
>
> Hopefully be able to exchange the shorts for another size. Just not sure
> how tight the shorts should be.
>

> --
> Brian

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:59:03 GMT, "spencer bullen"
<[email protected]>:

>lardy as I am, I'm somewhat insulted by certain Italien brands that list
>their XL as being a 28" waist! I hate to think what my 36" tyre would be
>considered as!

I am anything but corpulent, but XXL is the smallest Italian size
which will fit me. Obviously designed for extra extra large Italian
midgets.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

At a rough guess you should be able to get them off without assistance!

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

: I am anything but corpulent, but XXL is the smallest Italian size
: which will fit me. Obviously designed for extra extra large Italian
: midgets.

The joys of sizing!

I've made the happy discovery that whoever sizes Endura clothes is
exactly the same size as me. S for tops, M for shorts. Fit perfectly.
So that's me sorted.

An Italian size 4 top is about the same as an Endura S, so who knows
who the sizes 1 + 2 are ment to fit! I'm not exactly Mr. Atlas....

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:
> An Italian size 4 top is about the same as an Endura S, so who knows
> who the sizes 1 + 2 are ment to fit!

Have you not been watching the track events in Athens? Some of those
boys look like they could use a good fry-up. You begin to realise that
the characterisation of Champion in Belleville Rendezvous is not
actually a parody.

In Italian jersey sizes, I am 4.5 - 4 seems to accentuate the less
streamlined parts of my waistline rather too much for my liking but 5 is
verging on baggy. :(

d.

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cgdcd6

> Ignore all reference to sizing or size comparisons with cycle clothing -

it
> makes no sense at all!

You're not wrong! I've got a "small" cycling top which fits OK and a Large
and XL and you can barely tell the difference. The size "XL" in cycling tops
is nowhere near the same as for ordinary clothes.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

I find nalini clothing a bit of a pain in the butt, all the shops selling team gear sizes them up different and it leaves you puzzled as to what size to buy. I first bought some stuff through probikekit.com that stated that the nalini shorts size 5 was for a 32 inch waist (im a 32inch waist), when they arrived they was way to large and needed to be sent back. Im now wearing nalini bibs that cater for ppl with about 26-28 inch waists according to probikekit, safest bet is to definataly try them on at a shop.