Road Cycling · Public discussion

How to adjust side-pull cantilever brakes?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 7 posts · 615 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 July 2007
Last activity
24 July 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
615
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
    brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
    system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
    the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
    length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
    increased?

  2. oprah_chopra said:

    I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
    brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
    system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
    the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
    length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
    increased?

    It would appear that you are not using cantilevers at all, but calipers.
    What model brake are you using?

    A good general place to start is here:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes/

    or here

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=21&imageField2.y=7

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  3. "Luigi de Guzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    oprah_chopra said:

    I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
    brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
    system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
    the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
    length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
    increased?

    It would appear that you are not using cantilevers at all, but calipers.
    What model brake are you using?

    A good general place to start is here:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes/

    or here

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=21&imageField2.y=7

    Or here

    rec.bicycles.tech

    JF

  4. Quoted message said:

    I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
    brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
    system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
    the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
    length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
    increased?

    Are these perhaps "V brakes"? They don't have a center bolt like you
    mention, but they are in fact a form of cantilever brakes and their
    cable comes in from the side, so they sort of match your description.

    If this is the case, each individual brake arm has its own spring, and
    the mounting bosses usually have three holes. By positioning the end
    of the spring into an alternate hole, you can vary the tension.

    By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
    and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
    alone will improve centering.

  5. Brian Huntley said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
    brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
    system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
    the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
    length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
    increased?

    Are these perhaps "V brakes"? They don't have a center bolt like you
    mention, but they are in fact a form of cantilever brakes and their
    cable comes in from the side, so they sort of match your description.

    If this is the case, each individual brake arm has its own spring, and
    the mounting bosses usually have three holes. By positioning the end
    of the spring into an alternate hole, you can vary the tension.

    By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
    and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
    alone will improve centering.

    This is a close picture to what I have:

    http://www.bicyclebrakesindia.com/images/caliperbrakes1.gif

  6. Brian Huntley said:

    By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
    and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
    alone will improve centering.

    My center bolt has two nuts. I am not sure whether both should be
    tight or just one?

  7. Duke of Hazard said:


    This is a close picture to what I have:

    http://www.bicyclebrakesindia.com/images/caliperbrakes1.gif

    Those are single-pivot sidepull *calipers*. Cantilevers are something
    else entirely.

    Take a screwdriver and put the blade right behind the nut on the center
    bolt. Then tap the screwdriver with a hammer. See if that doesn't
    re-center the brake arms.

    While you're down there, it's a good idea to put a drop of oil on the
    pivot as well.

    -Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.