how to clean the bb

pool123

Mar 1, 2004
I think my bike has collected a lot of dirt in the bb, is there a easy way to get rid of it without removing the drivetrain and the bb? thought about flooding the whole thing with cleaning stuff and then grease it. btw. what lube do u recommend for those parts: bb, cassette, hubs? I use Finishline Teflon Dry for my chain (and everything else)
michael

Originally posted by pool123
I think my bike has collected a lot of dirt in the bb, is there a easy way to get rid of it without removing the drivetrain and the bb? thought about flooding the whole thing with cleaning stuff and then grease it. btw. what lube do u recommend for those parts: bb, cassette, hubs? I use Finishline Teflon Dry for my chain (and everything else)
michael
You do not clean a cartridge type BB.They go bad,you toss it and get another. Older cup and ball type require pulling cranks and and removing the BB from frame and overhauling. Get a decent maintenance book or check out the repair section at www.parktool.com

if you're talking about the BB shell, flooding through a drain-hole may clean out the BB shell, but probably won't be great for the bearings.

i do not recommend flooding it. i mean, you're talking about regreasing it anyways, which will require removal.

just take the BB out, clean out the shell, clean and regrease the, bearings, and re-install.