How to cook soups (beef or sparerib)

Nicholas Zhou

Guest
Some friends told me that they can't imagine how Chinese people can make beef or pork soups since it
usually has bad smell. Well, it's generally because the Chinese will get rid of the blood when they
slaughter livestocks, while many others don't. It's the blood that makes the soups smell bad.

One trick to make great soups is to boil the beef/pork for a while (a little bit before it boils)
and then get rid of the topping on the water. You can repeat this for 2 to 3 times until no more
white bubbles appear. Then you can follow the directions and move on.

I make Sparerib soups at least once per week. It's very good for our healthy (I remember that I
mentioned it's among the six most healthy drinks/soups).

Two soup recipes:

Recipe #1:

Hot & Sour Shrimp Soup

Ingredients:

1 pound of shrimps (medium size) A dozen of mushrooms 1 stalk of lemon grass 4 cups of water 2 cups
of chicken stock 3 lime leaves 6 green peppercorns 3 slices fresh ginger 1 teaspoon of salt 2
tablespoons of fish sauce (or 4 tablespoons of soy sauce) 3 tablespoons of lime juice 6 hot peppers,
pounded lightly (less, depending on taste)
1/2 cup of roughly chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves

Directions:

Remove the shrimp shell and leave the tails (for appearance). Then cut open the back of each shrimp
to remove the veins.

Clean the mushrooms with water and dry them well before cutting each into quarters. Trim root and
tough layers from lemon grass. Thinly slice first six inches. Bring 2 cups of stock to boil.

Heat 4 cups of water to boil, then add the stock, lemon grass, lime leaves, and shrimps. When the
shrimps turn pink, add mushrooms, ginger, peppercorns and salt. Remove the pot from heat after
boiling. Add fish sauce, lime juice, and hot peppers to taste.

Serve the soup while still hot in individual soup cups and top each cup with a sprinkle of
coriander.

Recipe #2:

Sparerib Soup

Ingredients:

9 oz (250g) of pork spareribs 1 tsp scallions, chopped, white parts only 5 tsp vegetable oil
2/8 tsp rice wine
3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
4/4 tsp MSG
5/2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped

Directions:

6. Wash the spareribs and chop into 1 inch by 2 inch (3cm X 5 cm) pieces.

7. Heat the oil in a work over high heat until the oil surface ripples. Add the spareribs and stir-
fry for 10 minutes, or until the ribs turn a lighter color and give off most of their juices.
Place in a heavy casserole with the salt and ginger.

Add 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) of water, cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 hours over high heat,
replenishing the water if necessary. Add the MSG and scallions. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30
minutes. Remove and serve.

Nicholas Zhou - Author "Real and Healthy Chinese Cooking" http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/
FREE RECIPES: To claim your free Chinese recipes, cooking tips and health articles, email to
[email protected]

EARN 55% COMMISSION: http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/affiliateprogram.htm

>From: "Nicholas Zhou"

Thank you for an informative post :eek:) The hint you gave to make great soups,:

>One trick to make great soups is to boil the beef/pork for a while (a little bit before it boils)
>and then get rid of the topping on the water. You can repeat this for 2 to 3 times until no more
>white bubbles appear. Then you can follow the directions and move on.

is one I use on all soups.My mamma and grandma call the "white stuff" scum,and the act of taking it
off of the top of the soup is called skimming.One time I was making a consommé,something my mom had
never heard of or done before.When she looked into the pot, which I was clarifying at that point, I
thought she's faint :eek:) She had no idea HOW I got that much "junk" on top of my "soup" :eek:) I'll be
trying your Sparerib soup this weekend,as this soup is not one I'm familiar with. Gail~~~~~~
---
Please remember the needy... http://www.quickdonations.com ~~~ Artificial Intelligence is
no match for natural stupidity ;o) ~~~

On 24 Dec 2003 00:55:34 GMT, [email protected] (Gail) wrote:

>>From: "Nicholas Zhou"
>
>Thank you for an informative post :eek:) The hint you gave to make great soups,:

Don't encourage this spamming idiot. He steals all his recipes from websites (the ones below are
from about.com) and resells them (to idiots like you).

He's also a spamming jackass who needs to learn that Usenet isn't his personal advertising medium.

-sw

"Nicholas Zhou" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nicholas Zhou - Author "Real and Healthy Chinese Cooking" http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FREE RECIPES: To claim your free Chinese recipes, cooking tips and health articles, email to
> [email protected]
>
> EARN 55% COMMISSION: http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/affiliateprogram.htm
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go make some SPAM SOUP.

asshole.

Dimitri

>Go make some SPAM SOUP.
>
>asshole.
>
>Dimitri

The links are clearly in his Sig, and are not spam.If you need more info on what sigs are,lmk.I'm
really surprized at you for being such an asshole yourself,...I thought better of you than that.If
you don't like his sig, killfile him.It's obvious that English isn't his first language, and he at
least Tried to bring something worthwhile to this group. Gail~~~~~~~~~
---

fishiewoo/nastycrotch writes:

>Ken Davey at least Tried to bring something worthwhile to this group.

Pee-U! And you bring your crotch rot... sheesh!

Looser!