How to hook up with a team?

spinner32

Jul 8, 2006
Hello,
Ok, I simply want to know how to become involved with a competitive racing team. I enjoy training hard, but am looking for more direct guidance and coaching than I can recieve from group/club rides and discussions after races with other racers. Unfortunately, few of my friends race or even ride - I would surely form up a team with them if that were the case. So, should I approach a team member and ask how they got there or what :p? Just curious.
It seems to me that I may plateau performance-wise if I only ride and train on my own. Is this worth looking into if I want to become more competitive and ride at a higher level?

Thanks!

spinner32 said:
Hello,
Ok, I simply want to know how to become involved with a competitive racing team. I enjoy training hard, but am looking for more direct guidance and coaching than I can recieve from group/club rides and discussions after races with other racers. Unfortunately, few of my friends race or even ride - I would surely form up a team with them if that were the case. So, should I approach a team member and ask how they got there or what :p? Just curious.
It seems to me that I may plateau performance-wise if I only ride and train on my own. Is this worth looking into if I want to become more competitive and ride at a higher level?

Thanks!

Cycling really is a team sport. If you are very talented and can just run away from the field you may find yourself very successful at the lower levels, but it will get harder to do as you move up. In any case riding with team is more fun and more rewarding if you ask me. Even if you know you can't win yourself it is great to know that you helped your teammate to win.
How to get onto a team? I suppose it depends on where you are. Around here teams recruit in the fall - usually around September / October the "meet the team" rides start. They give people interested in joining a team a chance to check out different teams and give the teams a chance to check out prospective riders. Each team is different - some are joined by invitation only while others take anyone interested in racing. Ask around at you LBS to see if your area has anything similar. If there isn't anything like that talk to guys that are on teams - you never know, you might get asked to join.