General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How to make asparagus stock?

Started by Mark Milke · · Last activity · 9 posts · 567 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 June 2005
Last activity
19 June 2005
Original author
Mark Milke
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
567
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

  2. Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Hmmm. I wonder what you want this for. But it's pretty simple. Onion,
    garlic, water, salt, pepper and lots of asparagus. One would hope you'd use
    the stalks and save the tops for something yummy 🙂 Bring the water to a
    boil and then cover it and let it simmer on a low heat for a couple of
    hours. Strain out the cooked vegetables and there you have... asparagus
    stock.

    Jill

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Once I have a couple of bags full, I get some fresh tops and cut them
    into 1 inch pieces and put them aside.

    I take out my tough stem collection and let it thaw. They are mooshy at
    this point. I run all those thru the Victorio strainer and that removes
    all the fiber. A china cap will work for those that don't have a
    victorio.

    This produces a yummy asparagus "mush". I steam the tops I put aside and
    puree those in the food processor then add that to the mush I have on
    hand.

    I thin it with chicken broth to the desired constistancy, and add a
    little heavy cream.

    Add just a little pepper and salt to taste.
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  4. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Oboy... you prep asparagus in the freezer... talk about perkies! 😉

    Sheldon

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Oboy... you prep asparagus in the freezer... talk about perkies! 😉

    Sheldon

    It's just the tough stems you'd normally compost... ;-)
    This is a way to streeeetch your asparagus $$$ <lol>

    Cheers!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  6. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Once I have a couple of bags full, I get some fresh tops and cut them
    into 1 inch pieces and put them aside.

    I take out my tough stem collection and let it thaw. They are mooshy
    at this point. I run all those thru the Victorio strainer and that
    removes all the fiber. A china cap will work for those that don't
    have a victorio.

    This produces a yummy asparagus "mush". I steam the tops I put aside
    and puree those in the food processor then add that to the mush I
    have on hand.

    I thin it with chicken broth to the desired constistancy, and add a
    little heavy cream.

    Add just a little pepper and salt to taste.

    I have to say this is more like cream asparagus soup than it is "stock".
    Not that there is anything wrong with this 🙂

    Jill (soupaholic)

  7. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Mark Milke" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    > recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mark
    >

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Oboy... you prep asparagus in the freezer... talk about perkies! 😉

    Sheldon

    It's just the tough stems you'd normally compost... ;-)
    This is a way to streeeetch your asparagus $$$ <lol>

    Then wouldn't that be "streeeetch your asparaguy". hehe

    Sheldon

  8. jmcquown said:
    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Hmmm. I wonder what you want this for. But it's pretty simple.
    Onion,
    garlic, water, salt, pepper and lots of asparagus.

    Its such a subtle flavour that, even though i save fibrous ends for the
    stock pot, i don't think an asparagus stock would be much enhanced by
    onion and garlic. A thoroughly over rated vegetable if you ask me🙁

    About the only way i have really enjoyed it is in a beef with black bean
    sauce a local Chinese restaurant does very well.

    Quoted message said:

    One would hope you'd use
    the stalks and save the tops for something yummy 🙂 Bring the water
    to a
    boil and then cover it and let it simmer on a low heat for a couple of

    hours. Strain out the cooked vegetables and there you have...
    asparagus
    stock.

    Or mash and strain and add some lemon (zest is, if not best, then at
    least, is a very good addition) and cream and garlic. Maybe an egg yolk
    and a bit of butter. Toss in some diced cornichon and you got, almost,
    an "Gribieche".

    Quoted message said:

    Jill

    --
    ---
    Joseph Littleshoes

  9. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Milke said:

    Hi all!

    I found plenty of stock recipes on the internet, but I can't find a
    recipe for an asparagus stock. Can someone point me to one?

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Well...

    This is how I make it!

    I save all of the tough stems I snap off in the freezer.

    Once I have a couple of bags full, I get some fresh tops and cut them
    into 1 inch pieces and put them aside.

    I take out my tough stem collection and let it thaw. They are mooshy
    at
    this point. I run all those thru the Victorio strainer and that
    removes
    all the fiber. A china cap will work for those that don't have a
    victorio.

    This produces a yummy asparagus "mush". I steam the tops I put aside
    and
    puree those in the food processor then add that to the mush I have on
    hand.

    I thin it with chicken broth to the desired constistancy, and add a
    little heavy cream.

    Add just a little pepper and salt to taste.

    I really got to start reading all the responses to any one pot before i
    reply. After cooking and "mashing" & sieving the fibrous stems, i like
    to add cream, lemon, garlic and maybe a egg yolk & Green - sweet
    pickles. The chicken stock and pepper are good suggestions but as
    previously mentioned, i find the asparagus flavour to be so subtle that
    it is easily lost in most combinations.

    Though the "elderly relative" swears she can tell the difference,
    between an addition of asparagus flavour and the lack of it.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell?you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

    --
    ---
    Joseph Littleshoes
    may be consulted at
    ---
    http://finblake.home.mindspring.com/tarotintro.htm

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.