"Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:The fudge you buy at the specialty candy stores is always so much
more sweet and rich than anything I've been able to duplicate at
home. What's the secret(s)?
I've tried heavy cream, light cream, evaporated milk, butter, etc,
but have never been able to make a really good, commercial quality
fudge. I just made some chocolate peanut butter fudge
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_18189,00.html
using heavy cream instead of milk (was out of milk), and while
it's fairly passable, it's not quite 100%.
I should have used 1/4 brown sugar and 3/4 regular for this
recipe, but that wasn't the whole problem, I'm sure. I'm not fond
of brown sugar as I think it's kinda heavy tasting in most
candy-making.
-sw
This is a great UK version of fudge, we don't have chocolate in ours unless
it is chocolate fudge! (taken from UKTV food web site)
Clodagh McKenna's easy-to-make creamy vanilla fudge makes a treat to tempt a
sweet tooth at anytime
Servings: makes 36-48 squares
Level of difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
100ml Milk
100ml double cream
350g caster sugar
80g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Method
1. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan, add the sugar and
butter and bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously, until
the mixture registers 115C on a sugar thermometer (this is called the soft
ball stage).
4. Stir in the vanilla extract; remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Beat the mixture with a whisk until thick, before pouring into the
prepared dish to set. Cut into squares to serve.
Sarah