rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

How to measure a hub?

Started by pkittle · · Last activity · 6 posts · 302 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
6 July 2006
Last activity
7 July 2006
Original author
pkittle
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
302
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi--

    I'm looking at a replacement hub for my muni, and obviously I'll need
    one that has the same measurement between the bearings as my current
    hub. But I'm wondering if this is a standard, or if it varies from hub
    to hub. I currently have a hardened Suzue hub, and I'm hoping to
    replace it with a Koxx-1 ISIS splined hub. Does anybody know the
    measurement of this hub, and the bearings it uses? Is it the same as
    the Suzue?

    Thanks for any help. BTW, I tried the search before posting, but didn't
    find any useful results.

    --
    pkittle

    *========
    Peter Kittle
    Chico, CA
    ========*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

  2. The koxx isis hub has 42mm bearings and the Suzue has 40mm bearings

    you can find a diagram at the bottom of this 'table'
    (http://www.unicycle.co.uk/hubcomparator.html) on where to measure hubs
    it also gives the sizes of the Isis hubs but not the Suzue

    jim

    --
    Jim
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

  3. If you have a steel frame, you can flex the fork in or out a pretty good
    margin. If you need a 40mm OD for your frame, the Torker DX
    bearings will work if the Koxx takes a 20mm ID.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

  4. Koxx Bearings are 42x12x25, I have updated that on our specification for
    the hubs.

    http://tinyurl.com/bgkub

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

  5. Thanks for the info so far. What I'm really wondering about, though,
    isn't the bearing size (although that'll certainly matter, and I hadn't
    yet thought about it), but the distance side-to-side between the
    bearings. That is, how wide is the hub? Is that the "bearing spacing"
    measure on Roger's site? I want a splined hub to fit my steel Telford
    frame, which (as I said) currently has a Suzue hub. I don't know if the
    Koxx or other splined hub will fit into my frame's bearing holders. I
    can measure that distance but probably wouldn't be as accurate as a
    manufacturer's spec. I suppose that if it's relatively close to 4" it
    will likely work with most of the hubs listed--since it's steel, it
    will have some give. I guess it's the available bearings that may make
    or break the possibility of successful upgrade.

    --
    pkittle

    *========
    Peter Kittle
    Chico, CA
    ========*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

  6. i believe that the koxx isis hub bearings are 100mm apart, centre to
    centre of the bearing. i am not 100% sure of this, you may want to
    check it up. you can measure the distance of your frame bearing holders
    by taking the wheel out, and measuring the distance between the middle
    of the bottom parts of the frame.

    --
    iridemymuni

    The past is in your head, the future's in our hands

    ~~hold bananas for christ~~
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50914

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.