General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

how to - pancake/waffle syrup?

Started by yourfriend · · Last activity · 36 posts · 424 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2007
Last activity
11 September 2007
Original author
yourfriend
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
424
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    recipes, suggestions, caveats & creative flames all welcome,
    Your Friend

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That website listed by this troll is nothing more then a bunch of lies
    and setup by another troll the website is full of nothing but lies and
    inaccurate and is nothing more then libel against me.

    So you claim that all the data on this website is false?

    Yes it is all false.

    Jamie
    Message-ID: <[email hidden]>
    www.jamiebaillie.com

  2. yourfriend /dev/null said:

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are
    cheap) with some flavoring or is this as silly as buying my
    own raw cocoa beans to make chocolate?

    Go for it. Fake maple syrup is flavoured with fenugreek,
    which is a wonderful flavouring and you can buy it for cheap
    at any south Asian market. Probably just as complex and
    interesting as actual maple. Toast the fenugreek first I would
    say. Let us know how it turns out.

    Steve

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    yourfriend said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    Long ago and far away one would add "Mapleine" to corn syrup or a strong
    sugar syrup.
    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    For your listening pleasure: http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
    from the MN State Fair, 8-29-07

  4. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    yourfriend said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    Long ago and far away one would add "Mapleine" to corn syrup or a strong
    sugar syrup.

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup. I don't need "buttery
    flavor" because I melt a lot of butter onto the pancakes or waffles
    first.
    If you'd prefer, you can make a simple syrup with sugar instead of the
    corn syrup.
    If you do, consider adding a bit of vanilla extract.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

    --Bryan

  5. "yourfriend" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by
    syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered
    if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with
    some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    recipes, suggestions, caveats & creative flames all welcome,
    Your Friend

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That website listed by this troll is nothing more then a bunch of lies
    and setup by another troll the website is full of nothing but lies and
    inaccurate and is nothing more then libel against me.

    So you claim that all the data on this website is false?

    Yes it is all false.

    Jamie
    Message-ID: <[email hidden]>
    www.jamiebaillie.com

    How much syrup do you use per week, or per month?

  6. "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup.

    That's sad. Desecrating pure food.

    Sort of like adding grape juice to a good Merlot.

  7. yourfriend said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    I have never cared for the sugar syrups, give me a nice blackberry jam
    and some butter for the pancakes, or just butter and an egg "over easy"
    but i am one of those people who like PB&J pancakes.
    --
    JL

  8. Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup.

    That's sad. Desecrating pure food.

    Sort of like adding grape juice to a good Merlot.

    Curiosity strikes...how expensive is "pancake syrup" anyhow? I'd have
    thought it'd be about the same price as corn or cane syrup $2-3 a
    pint.

    Jessica

  9. yourfriend said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    Why not try real maple syrup? Chemical concoctions like Log Cabin are
    false economy, in that you may pay a little less but you get a lot
    less good taste. Real maple syrup, to our taste, is worth the price.
    fwiw, we use Trader Joe's pure maple syrup, grade B, from Canada.

    otoh, we use syrup for (frequent) pancakes but berries and whipped
    cread for (rare)waffles .... -aem

  10. aem said:

    Why not try real maple syrup? Chemical concoctions like Log Cabin are
    false economy, in that you may pay a little less but you get a lot
    less good taste. Real maple syrup, to our taste, is worth the price.
    fwiw, we use Trader Joe's pure maple syrup, grade B, from Canada.

    I get my maple syup from a farm down the road. It costs me $16 per litre,
    and that lasts me almost a year. It doesn't break the bank, and there is no
    substitute for the real thing.

    Quoted message said:


    otoh, we use syrup for (frequent) pancakes but berries and whipped
    cread for (rare)waffles .... -aem

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup.

    That's sad. Desecrating pure food.

    Sort of like adding grape juice to a good Merlot.

    Only if you're fond of merlot. :-)
    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    For your listening pleasure: http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
    from the MN State Fair, 8-29-07

  12. yourfriend said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    My mother-in-law makes this (usually with waffles instead of cornmeal
    pancakes) whenever all the kids and grandkids are home:

    Cinnamon Cream Syrup
    1 C sugar
    1/2 C light corn syrup
    1/4 C water
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 C evaporated milk

    Combine sugar, syrup, water, and cinnamon. bring to boil over medium
    heat stirring constantly. cook and stir 2 minutes more. remove from
    heat and cool for 5 minutes. stir in evaporated milk. serve warm with
    Cornmeal Pancakes. makes about 1 2/3 cups of syrup.

    --
    Bob

  13. "yourfriend" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by
    syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I wondered
    if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with
    some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    My parents used to make it by boiling brown sugar and water, then adding
    maple flavoring. Store leftovers in fridge.

  14. Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    aem said:

    Why not try real maple syrup? Chemical concoctions like
    Log Cabin are false economy, in that you may pay a little
    less but you get a lot less good taste. Real maple syrup,
    to our taste, is worth the price. fwiw, we use Trader
    Joe's pure maple syrup, grade B, from Canada.

    I get my maple syup from a farm down the road. It costs me
    $16 per litre, and that lasts me almost a year. It doesn't
    break the bank, and there is no substitute for the real
    thing.

    i get mine from my back yard. grade B is the *best* stuff for
    cooking/baking, but i prefer dark amber for pancakes &
    waffles... actually i *prefer* butter & powdered sugar, but i
    have maple syrup by the gallon, so i use it.
    lee

  15. Dave Smith said:
    aem said:

    Why not try real maple syrup? Chemical concoctions like Log Cabin are
    false economy, in that you may pay a little less but you get a lot
    less good taste. Real maple syrup, to our taste, is worth the price.
    fwiw, we use Trader Joe's pure maple syrup, grade B, from Canada.

    I get my maple syup from a farm down the road. It costs me $16 per litre,
    and that lasts me almost a year. It doesn't break the bank, and there is no
    substitute for the real thing.

    Agree, and it has such strong flavor you only need a little. I buy the
    "B" grade because it is darker and stronger.

  16. Jessica V. said:
    Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup.


    That's sad. Desecrating pure food.

    Sort of like adding grape juice to a good Merlot.

    Curiosity strikes...how expensive is "pancake syrup" anyhow? I'd have
    thought it'd be about the same price as corn or cane syrup $2-3 a
    pint.

    Jessica


    I was thinking the same thing. "Pancake syrup" is just HFCS and space
    additives. I don't buy it but I don't remember it being priced
    differently than corn syrup.

  17. Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    What I do: Two to three parts Karo light corn syrup (I use a store
    brand equivalent), 1 part pure maple syrup.

    That's sad. Desecrating pure food.

    I understand where you're coming from, but maple is a pretty intense
    flavor, and diluting it with a non-nasty sweet base, IMO, falls far
    short of desecration. Now, If I'd suggested combining it with Log
    Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth's, you'd be completely correct.
    This is not nasty: http://www.karosyrup.com/nutrition.asp
    You may be a person who doesn't like overly sweet stuff.

    Quoted message said:


    Sort of like adding grape juice to a good Merlot.

    Personally, I'd rather have the grapes that the Merlot was made from.

    --Bryan

  18. JoeSpareBedroom said:


    How much syrup do you use per week, or per month?

    Some people take penny pinching to a whole new level.

    😉
    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

  19. <sf> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JoeSpareBedroom said:


    How much syrup do you use per week, or per month?

    Some people take penny pinching to a whole new level.

    😉

    Or, they pour it on every damned thing, and use a gallon a month. :-) That's
    why I'm curious here...

  20. "Julie Bove" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:_8ZEi.160$rw3.35@trndny04...

    Quoted message said:


    "yourfriend" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've always enjoyed waffles but disliked the prices for syrup. And by
    syrup I
    mean "buttery maple flavored" stuff like log cabin, et al. So, I
    wondered if
    anyone here had any success with making their own and cared to share?

    I'm thinking of a simple syrup (sugar and water and heat are cheap) with
    some
    flavoring or is this as silly as buying my own raw cocoa beans to make
    chocolate?

    My parents used to make it by boiling brown sugar and water, then adding
    maple flavoring. Store leftovers in fridge.


    My parents did the same. I think they may have used a mix of brown and
    white sugar, or maybe even all white sugar.

    We went through quite a lot of syrup in my family. All four of us kids
    thought that if there wasn't enough syrup to float the pancakes, you didn't
    have enough.

    One breakfast dish we used to have occasionally that I still fix for myself
    now and then is to take the cornbread left over from last night's dinner,
    reheat it, crumble into bowls, and serve with maple syrup. Brings back
    strong memories of my childhood.

    Anny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.