Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

how to remove demo flats from pedals?

Started by DisplacedMic · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,033 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 June 2010
Last activity
20 June 2010
Original author
DisplacedMic
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,033
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys,
    I recently purchased my first real bike! It is a trek 520. The pedals are shimono m520 clueless. They came from the LBS with platforms for people to use while test riding. I left them on bc they are actually really convenient for times when I don't want to bother changing. However now that I am used to clipping in those times are getting few and far between... the problem now is i cant figure out how to to get them off. Any ideas? Thanks guys

  2. The platforms are just clipped in like cleats. Twist them out. It will require a fair heave if doing it by hand.

  3. DisplacedMic said:

    Hi guys,
    I recently purchased my first real bike! It is a trek 520. The pedals are shimono m520 clueless. They came from the LBS with platforms for people to use while test riding. I left them on bc they are actually really convenient for times when I don't want to bother changing. However now that I am used to clipping in those times are getting few and far between... the problem now is i cant figure out how to to get them off. Any ideas? Thanks guys

    You need to twist the flats left or right to get them to disengage.

  4. COOL... I guess that's what I figured but wasn't twisting hard enough. I'll loosen the tension screw and try again.
    Thanks guys 😎

  5. I had the same question. I thought they came off, but the manual didn't have anything about it. Before too long, mine began cracking anyway, so I just cut them off with a hacksaw. (I assume yours are plastic, like mine were.)

  6. I've got the same Shimano pedals with plastic platforms. As other said already, the best way to get them off is to twist, though you need to twist hard. The LBS actually told me to use a screw driver as a lever to open the latch. The platform can then be popped off. I recall that also worked, though it's been a while, so I don't recall all of the details. One thing I do remember, though, is that I gouged the plastic of the platform in the process.

  7. I see. Thanks again to everyone for the input. I suppose they were meant for a temporary solution anyway. The dealer told me that they are technically supposed to remove them for a sale...

    I guess i'll leave them on unil they start to crack. the weight tends to drop them out of the way when i want to clip into the other side so they're not in way.

    Once they crack/break or i do pull them off i know they make pedals designed for that very purpose - eg one side platform, one side for cleats. So if i really miss it I can just go that route.

    thanks again :-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.