Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How to remove FSA SLK Mega-Exo Crank?

Started by Wayne Pein · · Last activity · 19 posts · 4,294 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 February 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
Wayne Pein
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,294
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

  2. Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    If there's not a pinch bolt in the end of the crank, your left arm
    should be self-extracting when the reaining bolt is unscrewed. If you
    have removed the retaining bolt, put it back, and then reinstall the
    threaded collar that covers the outer diameter of it, and use the
    appropriate size of Allen wrench to unscrew the bolt again. As you do
    so, the crank will be pushed off by the retaining bolt. If you
    buggered the collar by prying it out, it may be that you're screwed
    until you can get a replacement, but it won't hurt to try a regular
    crank puller and see it it will thread into the recess.

    If there's a pinch bolt in the end of the crank, this must be
    unscrewed (I'm not sure if it has to be removed completely) as well as
    removing the retaining bolt. The pinch-bolt type of crank is mostly
    used on road bikes. With the retaining bolt and pinch bolt removed,
    the arm should come right off.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. Werehatrack said:
    Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    If there's not a pinch bolt in the end of the crank, your left arm
    should be self-extracting when the reaining bolt is unscrewed. If you
    have removed the retaining bolt, put it back, and then reinstall the
    threaded collar that covers the outer diameter of it, and use the
    appropriate size of Allen wrench to unscrew the bolt again. As you do
    so, the crank will be pushed off by the retaining bolt. If you
    buggered the collar by prying it out, it may be that you're screwed
    until you can get a replacement, but it won't hurt to try a regular
    crank puller and see it it will thread into the recess.

    If there's a pinch bolt in the end of the crank, this must be
    unscrewed (I'm not sure if it has to be removed completely) as well as
    removing the retaining bolt. The pinch-bolt type of crank is mostly
    used on road bikes. With the retaining bolt and pinch bolt removed,
    the arm should come right off.

    Actually, on the pinch-bolt type of arm, there may be two pinch bolts.
    Both of them have to be slacked off and/or removed if so.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  4. No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every time.

  5. Andrew F Martin said:

    No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every
    time.

    That's wrong on so many levels. The obvious tool for this crank removal is
    the adjustable wrench.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Arkansas micrometer? Yeah, that'll work too.

  7. Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

    Speaking from what I heard/read on the internet only. Doesn't FSA use
    the ISIS connection on the non-drive crank arm? Assuming the crank
    bolt is not self extracting, shouldn't you use a crank arm removal tool
    to pull it off just like a normal crank arm.

  8. Werehatrack said:
    Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    If there's not a pinch bolt in the end of the crank, your left arm
    should be self-extracting when the reaining bolt is unscrewed. If you
    have removed the retaining bolt, put it back, and then reinstall the
    threaded collar that covers the outer diameter of it, and use the
    appropriate size of Allen wrench to unscrew the bolt again. As you do
    so, the crank will be pushed off by the retaining bolt. If you
    buggered the collar by prying it out, it may be that you're screwed
    until you can get a replacement, but it won't hurt to try a regular
    crank puller and see it it will thread into the recess.


    No pinch bolt, so self-extracting as you describe.

    Thanks,
    Wayne

  9. Andrew F Martin said:

    No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every time.

    Rice and beans went out of my nose.

    josh

  10. Andrew F Martin said:

    Arkansas micrometer? Yeah, that'll work too.

    Naw, he needs a crowbar. Hook the fork under the crank next to the
    shaft, brace the crook on the seat tube, and heave up.

    [this advice *not* intended for actual use]
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  11. Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Yea, stop and go to a shop.

    -Nate

  12. http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/glorycycles_1882_8267236

    Sure looks like self-extracting to me.

  13. Phil said:
    Andrew F Martin said:

    No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every
    time.

    That's wrong on so many levels. The obvious tool for this crank removal is
    the adjustable wrench.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    An adjustable is too specialized. That's why I ride a round with a
    Vise-Grip clamped to my seatpost.

    Joseph

  14. Quoted message said:
    Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

    Speaking from what I heard/read on the internet only. Doesn't FSA use
    the ISIS connection on the non-drive crank arm? Assuming the crank
    bolt is not self extracting, shouldn't you use a crank arm removal tool
    to pull it off just like a normal crank arm.

    I belive this is true. I have ordered one and it is expected anyday. If
    this isn't resolved, I'll post a description of the unmounted pieces.

    Joseph

  15. Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

    Little stub that goes into the BB spindle then a normal crank puller.

  16. Quoted message said:
    Phil said:
    Andrew F Martin said:

    No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every
    time.

    That's wrong on so many levels. The obvious tool for this crank removal is
    the adjustable wrench.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    An adjustable is too specialized. That's why I ride a round with a
    Vise-Grip clamped to my seatpost.

    Joseph

    The obvious answer is, get a bigger hammer. something in the 10lb range
    should take that sucker clean off. like butta.

    josh

  17. Hi Wayne,
    I'm with Full Speed Ahead.

    Tip #1 - Contact FSA. We can provide tech support by phone from our
    Seattle offices (or from FSA Europe in Milan).

    Tip #2 - The dust cover you describe is meant to be left in place. Put
    your 8mm allen wrench into the retaining bolt (through the hole in the
    dust cover). Loosen. As the retaining bolt unscrews, it will collide
    with the dust cover. Further loosening will free the arm from the
    spindle. You won't find much torque is required.

    Since you've loosened the dust cover, best to eventually make it very
    tight. A Park SPA-2 (red pin wrench), for example, works.

    Please contact us for any further advice: 1-877-743-3372 (USA).

    Cheers,
    Ric

    Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

  18. Ric said:

    Hi Wayne,
    I'm with Full Speed Ahead.

    Tip #1 - Contact FSA. We can provide tech support by phone from our
    Seattle offices (or from FSA Europe in Milan).

    Tip #2 - The dust cover you describe is meant to be left in place. Put
    your 8mm allen wrench into the retaining bolt (through the hole in the
    dust cover). Loosen. As the retaining bolt unscrews, it will collide
    with the dust cover. Further loosening will free the arm from the
    spindle. You won't find much torque is required.

    Since you've loosened the dust cover, best to eventually make it very
    tight. A Park SPA-2 (red pin wrench), for example, works.

    Please contact us for any further advice: 1-877-743-3372 (USA).

    Cheers,
    Ric

    Thanks Ric. I maintain and have completely disassembled and built 6
    bikes, including our tandem, but had never encountered a self-extracting
    bolt as all our bikes previously used square taper spindles.

    Usually, 2x4s, hammers, bolt cutters, and pipe wrenches are sufficient.
    If they fail I use a chain saw or a 4x6.

    Wayne

  19. Gentleman, I nominate the crank extraction thread for
    Post of the Month. And thank you.

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Phil said:

    Andrew F Martin wrote:


    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Pein said:

    I removed the dust cap and retaining bolt on the non-drive arm, but the
    two arms don't come apart. From the downloadable pdf instructions it
    appears that the two arms are connected with a spline, but I can't get
    them to release. I wrapped the left arm in a towel and put a 2x4 over
    the inner surface and whacked it with a hammer but nothing. The bike is
    brand new, about 150 miles. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No - you're doing it right. 2x4 and a hammer. Should work every
    time.

    That's wrong on so many levels. The obvious tool for this crank removal is
    the adjustable wrench.

    An adjustable is too specialized. That's why I ride a round with a
    Vise-Grip clamped to my seatpost.

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Pein said:
    Ric said:

    Hi Wayne,
    I'm with Full Speed Ahead.

    Tip #1 - Contact FSA. We can provide tech support by phone from our
    Seattle offices (or from FSA Europe in Milan).

    Tip #2 - The dust cover you describe is meant to be left in place. Put
    your 8mm allen wrench into the retaining bolt (through the hole in the
    dust cover). Loosen. As the retaining bolt unscrews, it will collide
    with the dust cover. Further loosening will free the arm from the
    spindle. You won't find much torque is required.

    Since you've loosened the dust cover, best to eventually make it very
    tight. A Park SPA-2 (red pin wrench), for example, works.

    Please contact us for any further advice: 1-877-743-3372 (USA).

    Cheers,
    Ric

    Thanks Ric. I maintain and have completely disassembled and built 6
    bikes, including our tandem, but had never encountered a self-extracting
    bolt as all our bikes previously used square taper spindles.

    Usually, 2x4s, hammers, bolt cutters, and pipe wrenches are sufficient.
    If they fail I use a chain saw or a 4x6.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.