normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get to
the cable-end.
whats the trick?
thanks,
Dan
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get to
the cable-end.
whats the trick?
thanks,
Dan
Quoted post said:Originally posted by Dan Baker
normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get to
the cable-end.
whats the trick?
thanks,
Dan
Take a look at Shimano's site URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/ST/si_images/ST_6510_SI.pdf
The URL I am pointing you to is for a newer style STI, but all the ones I have seen are quite similar.
While you are changing cables and surfing, take a look at Sheldon Brown's site at URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Sheldon's information, including illustrations are very useful.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL
[email hidden] (dan baker) wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get
to the cable-end.whats the trick?
-----------------------------
its looking like the standard method of shifting "up" until the cable end is lined up is not going
to work. apparently the frayed end of some of the strands has things jammed up inside so that the
barrel is not rotating.... looks like time for a replacement lever.
d
Quoted post said:Originally posted by Dan Baker
[email hidden] (dan baker) wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...Quoted message said:normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get
to the cable-end.whats the trick?
-----------------------------
its looking like the standard method of shifting "up" until the cable end is lined up is not going
to work. apparently the frayed end of some of the strands has things jammed up inside so that the
barrel is not rotating.... looks like time for a replacement lever.
d
Dan,
As long as you are getting ready to toss the shifter, make sure the cable is really the thing that is causing the problem.
1. Shift the right STI lever to the point where the chain is on the smallest cog.
2. Take the cable off the rear deraileur.
3. Cut the cable where it enters the front housing.
4. Pull off the front housing.
5. Grab the cable just outside the shifter.
6. Aply the brake sufficient to expose the cable end.
7. Push, twist, and otherwise attempt to remove the cable.
If you have already tried this, I am sorry for wasting your time.
It just wan't clear to me what exactly you have done.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL
daveornee <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:..... Dan, As long as you are getting ready to toss the shifter, make sure the cable is really the
thing that is causing the problem.
1. Shift the right STI lever to the point where the chain is on the smallest cog.
----------------------
unfortunately, I took the cable off while it was not in the smallest gear... and somehow early on in
the processs I must have gotten a strand of the frayed cable jammed in the mechanism somewhere,
because I can't get it to "shift" more than 1 gear in either direction now, so I cant get the hole
to line up.
bummer,
d
Quoted post said:Originally posted by Dan Baker
normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the old
cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I can get to
the cable-end.
whats the trick?
thanks,
Dan
Hey Dan, did you ever get the cable out of your U600 shifters? I'm replacing mine and have run into the same issue. I didn't see a real answer on this thread. Mine have 30K miles on them and I figured they're old, stuck and need replacement anyway.... but I'd like to know if the cable will come out some how.
Sheldon seemed to promote the Gore-Tex cable, any suggestions out there?
Ed
ondidog said:Hey Dan, did you ever get the cable out of your U600 shifters? I'm replacing mine and have run
into the same issue. I didn't see a real answer on this thread. Mine have 30K miles on them and I
figured they're old, stuck and need replacement anyway.... but I'd like to know if the cable will
come out some how.
The cables exit from the outboard side of the levers. On the right side, shift into the highest gear
(smallest cog). You have to squeeze the brake lever to see the end of the cable. The cable end is
flush with the lever body, and in-line with the spot where the housing enters. Loosen the cable
anchor at the rear der, and push the inner wire through the lever.
Art Harris
ondidog said:Sheldon seemed to promote the Gore-Tex cable, any suggestions out there?
Think you mean teflon cable housing. Good stuff! And you'll want "SIS" housing for the derailleurs,
but NOT the brakes.
Art Harris
First shift into the highest gear. Then pull the brake lever and look inside and you'll see the
round barrell end of the cable. Just push it out and install in reverse. "ondidog"
<[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Dan Baker said:normally minor maintaince is pretty easy to figure out.... however, I dont see how to get the
old cable OUT of my shimano 600 STI levers. No obvious cap or way to open things up so that I
can get to the
cable-end.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:whats the trick? thanks, Dan
Hey Dan, did you ever get the cable out of your U600 shifters? I'm replacing mine and have run
into the same issue. I didn't see a real answer on this thread. Mine have 30K miles on them and I
figured they're old, stuck and need replacement anyway.... but I'd like to know if the cable will
come out some how.Sheldon seemed to promote the Gore-Tex cable, any suggestions out there?
Ed
--
Quoted message said:--------------------------<
Posted via cyclingforums.com cyclingforums.comcyclingforums.comOpen ↗
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.