I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found on
many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem
and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across when riding)
I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle and another strap
over the foot behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into the sandals and
walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight impression in the inside sole of the
sandals. I removed the sandals and using a razor knife with the blade locked carefully cut out the
cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove the sandals from my cycling
jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on over my cycling shoes so that the cleat slips into the
cutout area and snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great traction even on wet floors
and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a fair distance in them if need be. They are
nearly as good as a pair of shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I hope this idea will be of
use to some of you also.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 11 August 2003
- Last activity
- 14 August 2003
- Original author
- Peter
- Posts
- 28
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,235
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Peter Prekow said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found
on many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this
problem and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across
when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle
and another strap over the foot behind the toes.Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. The SH-TO92 shoe:
What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
yet, i personally find it a great idea. something i wish i had thought about long ago. i use a
timbuk2 messenger bag for commuting and the space it allows could easily accomodate a set of sandals
for taking the stairs at work. just another option....no disrespect to jobst at all.
i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone make something similar for
look cleats???eric
fresno, ca.
Quoted message said:
From: [email hidden] Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003
07:19:51 GMT Subject: Re: How to walk safely in clipless road shoesPeter Prekow said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found
on many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this
problem and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across
when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle
and another strap over the foot behind the toes.Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. The SH-TO92 shoe:
What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
Quoted message said:
i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone make something similar
for look cleats???They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops. Regarding the original
poster's idea, I was going to bring along some Nike Aqua Socks to France with me, since they're
extremely light weight and allow you to walk around without wrecking your shoes. Unfortunately, I
left them at home, and four hours up on the Tourmalet, walking around on Speedplay cleats, was a bit
less than ideal for my shoes...--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.comOpen ↗
"eric paul zamora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
yet, i personally find it a great idea. something i wish i had thought about long ago. i use a
timbuk2 messenger bag for commuting and the space
itQuoted message said:
allows could easily accomodate a set of sandals for taking the stairs at work. just another
option....no disrespect to jobst at all.
i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone make something similar
for look cleats???eric
fresno, ca.
Quoted message said:
From: [email hidden] Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003
07:19:51 GMT Subject: Re: How to walk safely in clipless road shoesPeter Prekow said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat
found on many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve
this problem and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come
across when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around
the ankle and another strap over the foot behind the toes.Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. The SH-TO92 shoe:
What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
Mike Jacoubowsky said:
They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops. Regarding the original
poster's idea, I was going to bring along some Nike Aqua Socks to France with me, since they're
extremely light weight and allow you to walk around without wrecking your shoes. Unfortunately, I
left them at home, and four hours up on the Tourmalet, walking around on Speedplay cleats, was a
bit less than ideal for my shoes...koolkovers.uskoolkovers.htmlOpen ↗
I've been using them for a while now on Look cleats. They work great. They preserve the cleats
and they make walking much safer. I broke down and got them after I moved to a place that
required carrying my bike up and down two flights of concrete stairs. They also make them for
Speedplay X/Zero.--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now
-
I sell a Look, black, style "Anti Skip" cleat. The square slots hold a soft rubber pad, "IRC Inner
Rubber Cleat". The pads compress when you are clip in but grip the street when you walk. The pads
are replaceable and also cut down on the wear of the nose of the cleat. It is a new design that is
made in Italy.$23/pr., shipped, with hardware. Additional pairs in same shipment $20.
-
Quoted message said:
How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of that automotive V-belt material you
often see along the roadside when riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue them to
the sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed about 1 cm inboard and outboard of the
SPD cleat). This keeps the cleat off the ground as you walk, provides good traction and doesn't
interfere with the pedals. It also wears better than the SPD "outriggers" that come with cleats, and
the similar raised areas on Carnac SPD adapters.Mike Yankee
(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)
-
I sell a Look, black, style "Anti Skip" cleat. The square slots hold a soft rubber pad, "IRC Inner
Rubber Cleat". The pads compress when you are clip in but grip the street when you walk. The pads
are replaceable and also cut down on the wear of the nose of the cleat. It is a new design that is
made in Italy.$23/pr., shipped, with hardware. Additional pairs in same shipment $20.
I just checked and the cleat is available in red with rotation as well. I don't have that model in
stock at this moment but it is available in a couple of days. -
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does
anyoneQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
make something similar for look cleats???
They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.
Kool Stop makes covers for SPD cleats?
Quoted message said:
Regarding the original poster's idea, I was going to bring along some Nike Aqua Socks to France
with me, since they're extremely light weight and
allowQuoted message said:
you to walk around without wrecking your shoes. Unfortunately, I left
themQuoted message said:
at home, and four hours up on the Tourmalet, walking around on Speedplay cleats, was a bit less
than ideal for my shoes...--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.comOpen ↗
--
Robin Hubert <[email hidden] -
Mike Yankee said:
Quoted message said:
How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
Quoted message said:
Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of that automotive V-belt material you
often see along the roadside when riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue them to
the sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed about 1 cm inboard and outboard of
the SPD cleat). This keeps the cleat off the ground as you walk, provides good traction and
doesn't interfere with the pedals. It also wears better than the SPD "outriggers" that come with
cleats, and the similar raised areas on Carnac SPD adapters.That is trying to make SH-TO92 shoes crudely. Just get the right shoes. tinyurl.coma822Open ↗
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in
:"]news:[email hidden]:Quoted message said:
They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.
There are a bunch of different companies selling Look cleat covers for walking. My favorite are made
from a thin hard plastic, instead of soft rubber. The thin ones are very compact, taking up little
space in your pocket when you're on the bike. Sorry, I don't remember the brand name right now. -
<[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Mike Yankee said:
Quoted message said:
How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
Quoted message said:
Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of that automotive V-belt material
you often see along the roadside when riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue
them to the sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed about 1 cm inboard and
outboard of the SPD cleat). This keeps the cleat off the ground as you walk, provides good
traction and doesn't interfere with the pedals. It also wears better than the SPD "outriggers"
that come with cleats, and the similar raised areas on Carnac SPD adapters.That is trying to make SH-TO92 shoes crudely. Just get the right shoes. tinyurl.coma822Open ↗
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
It might be crude, but it is certainly much cheaper than buying a whole new pair of shoes and could
serve the same purpose. -
Peter said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found
on many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this
problem and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across
when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle
and another strap over the foot behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into
the sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight impression in the
inside sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals and using a razor knife with the blade locked
carefully cut out the cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove the
sandals from my cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on over my cycling shoes so that the
cleat slips into the cutout area and snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great
traction even on wet floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a fair distance in
them if need be. They are nearly as good as a pair of shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I
hope this idea will be of use to some of you also.Shoe Goo can help give road shoes some traction. Just smear a little bit of in on the parts of the
shoe that can come in contact the ground. This method works well with Speedplay X series of cleats.
For look cleats, make sure you put the shoe goo in a place that won't interfere with the cleat
interface. If you climb stairs, put a layer of shoe goo on the sole of the show around the arches of
the foot and in the toe area to prevent slippage on the edges of the shair should you misstep.
--
Eric [email hidden] -
Ben Formula said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
>How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of that automotive V-belt material
you often see along the roadside when riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue
them to the sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed about 1 cm inboard and
outboard of the SPD cleat). This keeps the cleat off the ground as you walk, provides good
traction and doesn't interfere with the pedals. It also wears better than the SPD "outriggers"
that come with cleats, and the similar raised areas on Carnac SPD adapters.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
That is trying to make SH-TO92 shoes crudely. Just get the right shoes. tinyurl.coma822Open ↗
Quoted message said:
It might be crude, but it is certainly much cheaper than buying a whole new pair of shoes and
could serve the same purpose.Just because the wrong shoe was mistakenly bought does not mean you have to live with them ever
after. The suggestion of the SH-TO92 is offered for those who have not yet bought shoes with slick
bottoms with a tiny insert of rubber at the toe and heel and use Look cleats.Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
Robin Hubert said:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone make something similar
for look cleats???They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.
Kool Stop makes covers for SPD cleats?
I think you read it wrong. Someone said they saw covers for SPD cleats and asked if there was
something similar for Look cleats and Mike pointed out the Kool Kovers. Nobody said the SPD covers
were Kool Kovers.--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now
-
Hello there. I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone here. My original post was submitted with the
intent to share a solution to a problem I felt others have also encountered that 1 worked, 2 was
quick to implement and, 3 was inexpensive. The sandals I purchased cost less than $10. They easily
fit into my jersey pocket and are not bulky. In fact on many occasions I had to reassure myself that
they were still in the jersey pocket. They weigh less than a couple of medium bananas. In addition
unlike putting a non-slip substance or strip of rubber on the shoe bottom these sandals make the
feet level instead of toes up taking the strain off my ankles. This greatly enhances the ability to
walk a long distance should the need or desire arise. Unfortunately not everyone has the funds to
buy purpose made accessories. When I asked a well known bike shop in another nearby city for
something that would allow me to walk safely in Look/Shimano cleats I was told that nothing was
available and I would have to buy new pedals and shoes for about $150. My 20+ years old Adidas Eddy
Mercks shoes and Dura Ace pedals are still perfectly servicable. The sandals are a solution to a
problem I had that I found greatly enhances my safety (enjoyment) when off the bike. Again my intent
was to share a safe inexpensive solution with others, some of whom had mentioned the hazard of
walking down stairs with a bike on a near or daily basis.[email hidden] (Peter) wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...Quoted message said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found
on many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this
problem and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across
when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle
and another strap over the foot behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into
the sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight impression in the
inside sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals and using a razor knife with the blade locked
carefully cut out the cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove the
sandals from my cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on over my cycling shoes so that the
cleat slips into the cutout area and snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great
traction even on wet floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a fair distance in
them if need be. They are nearly as good as a pair of shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I
hope this idea will be of use to some of you also. -
[email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats> What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying
extra footwear.if you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair of mountain shoes? for the life of me,
nothing beats 'em for walking around. unless you are professional, i cant imagine they'd be holding
you back any, and even then not much.i use mtn shoes with spd cleats. i wear them every day, and two or three times a week i wear them
all day. you have to walk just a little bit funny because the soles are stiff (good for cycling, bad
for walking) but its not that different than normal shoes. and i cant imagine itd be any less
comfortable than tri shoes, covered cleats, etc.maybe im missing something. cheers,
anthony
-
Anthony Anagnostou said:
Quoted message said:
Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying
extra footwear.Quoted message said:
If you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair of mountain shoes? for the life of me,
nothing beats 'em for walking around. unless you are professional, I can't imagine they'd be
holding you back any, and even then not much.I take it you didn't look at the TO92. These shoes are to mountain shoes what oxfords are to hiking
boots. I am not one to walk in boots when I can use simple rubber soled shoes. I too use these to
walk around all day at work after riding to work. That's why I have them. Besides, I didn't discover
these advantages on the spur of the moment underway so that I needed to buy sandals. These are a
considered purchase.Quoted message said:
I use MTN shoes with SPD cleats. I wear them every day, and two or three times a week I wear them
all day. You have to walk just a little bit funny because the soles are stiff (good for cycling,
bad for walking) but its not that different than normal shoes. I can't imagine it'd be any less
comfortable than tri shoes, covered cleats, etc.I guess you wear big brogans all the time or you wouldn't feel comfortable in the MTB shoes all
day. Besides, most of these are waffle stompers that bring all sorts of debris into the office
when it's wet.Quoted message said:
Maybe I'm missing something.
I think so.
Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA
-
Peter said:
I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of the protruding cleat found on
many clipless road shoes especially when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem
and also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come across when
riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle and
another strap over the foot behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into the
sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight impression in the inside
sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals and using a razor knife with the blade locked carefully
cut out the cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove the sandals from my
cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on over my cycling shoes so that the cleat slips into
the cutout area and snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great traction even on wet
floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a fair distance in them if need be. They
are nearly as good as a pair of shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I hope this idea will be
of use to some of you also.
For casual walking when off the bike, get a shoe that has enough 'soul' so that the cleat doesn't
contact the ground. For commuting situation I just keep a pair of shoes at work.I cannot understand why so many spd shoes are made to allow the cleat to scrape the ground. All that
is needed is a small amount of tread to prevent this. What is the advantage to NOT having this
material on the shoe? Is this all in the interest of a few grams of weight? Or is it catering to the
notion that a "serious" bike shoe must be impractical? -
Quoted message said:
I take it you didn't look at the TO92. These shoes are to mountain shoes what oxfords are to hiking
boots. I am not one to walk in boots when I can use simple rubber soled shoes. I too use these to
walk around all day at work after riding to work. That's why I have them. Besides, I didn't
discover these advantages on the spur of the moment underway so that I needed to buy sandals. These
are a considered purchase.I got a pair of T091 before any store locally had them and special ordered. They worked so well that
I bought another pair to put on the shelf lest Shimano discontinue as they did the first offering of
SPD sandals. Frankly, I don't understand why more companies don't offer this type of 'touring shoe'.
A good majority of riders walk in their cycling shoes and most don't need lugged soles.I have the SPD sandals as well. They work fine too but on long rides or in the hills, my feet
get tired.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.