General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How whacked is this?

Started by Dave Smith · · Last activity · 54 posts · 385 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 June 2007
Last activity
5 June 2007
Original author
Dave Smith
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
385
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–54 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. George Shirley said:
    Nancy2 said:
    notbob said:

    On 2007-06-01, Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >A "performance artist" in Britain has eaten a Corgi as a protest against
    >the royal family's treatment of animals.
    >I always thought that the radical animal rights people were playing a few
    >cards short of a deck but this guy takes the cake.

    Wouldn'a been so bad if he'd provided a recipe.

    "Mark McGowan dines on what he said was a corgi. He hopes to draw attention
    to reports that Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, had beaten a fox
    to death."

    So, why didn't he eat a Beagle?

    "McGowan, a British artist, talks to reporters at his protest. He said the
    corgi meat he ate was mixed with apple, onion and seasoning and served with
    a salad."

    Well, there ya go. Maybe Food TV will do a Semi-Homemade segment on Corgi
    braised in canned mushroom soup.

    nb

    The current key word is "allegedly" ... people are questioning if he
    really did. Anyway, he allegedly picked the Corgie because it died at
    a breeder's. It wasn't killed just for him to eat it.

    N.


    You would think he would have had the ba**s to kill and dress out his
    own corgi if he were a serious performance artist. Sheesh!

    George

    and videotaped the process, of course.

    your pal,
    blake

  2. Pennyaline said:
    flitterbit said:
    Pennyaline said:

    notbob wrote:
    > So, why didn't he eat a Beagle?

    Why not a foxhound, if he really wants to hit fox hunting where it
    lives.


    Probably because the Corgi is the Queen's favourite breed of dog, and
    the Queen's consort is accused of beating a fox to death.

    I was reacting to the question of why he didn't eat a beagle.

    I knew about Corgis being the favorite, and I knew about the accusation
    of having beaten the fox to death. Truthfully, I have been around a
    while and I do know how to read.

    But please, go ahead and snip the rest of the post. I only included it
    because it is of no importance.

    <dunce>


    And I was simply responding to your single question, not your entire
    post, and I snipped the rest because I had nothing to say about it or to
    contribute to it.

    Sheesh, I wasn't suggesting you couldn't read or were uninformed, I was
    just pointing out what seemed to me to be the reasoning behind the
    choice of which breed of dog to eat given who was involved in the
    alleged incident, but if you prefer to infer insult where none was
    intended or made, knock yourself out.

  3. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    flitterbit said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "JoeSpareBedroom" <[email hidden]> dropped this turd
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    > "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> A "performance artist" in Britain has eaten a Corgi as a protest
    >> against
    >> the royal family's treatment of animals.
    >> I always thought that the radical animal rights people were playing a
    >> few cards short of a deck but this guy takes the cake.
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6703423.stm
    > That really is whacked. That's no way to cook a dog.
    >
    >
    >
    Some cultures raise dogs to be eaten IIRC. I'm thinking it might have
    been Taiwan. Just the thought of it makes me sick.

    Michael


    China is known to breed dogs for the table; I believe the Saint Bernard
    is a popular choice because of its size.

    So why not great danes?


    I've no idea; for all I know, Great Danes could also very well be raised
    as food in China.

  4. On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:45:19 GMT, blake murphy <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    George Shirley said:
    Nancy2 said:

    The current key word is "allegedly" ... people are questioning if he
    really did. Anyway, he allegedly picked the Corgie because it died at
    a breeder's. It wasn't killed just for him to eat it.

    N.


    You would think he would have had the ba**s to kill and dress out his
    own corgi if he were a serious performance artist. Sheesh!

    George

    and videotaped the process, of course.


    It's not the dog part that's totally grossing me out. It's the
    "predead" part. Who would eat a dead fish that they just happen to
    find floating in the water? Ugh. Pre-dead shellfish anyone?

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  5. George Shirley said:
    jmcquown said:
    Dave Smith said:

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > Why is that weirder than riding around shooting foxes for "sport"?
    > Or crowds of people in a ring watching guys kill bulls for fun?
    > Force-feeding geese to get a fatty liver? Making pigs and calves
    > live in little crates so they can't move?

    FWIW, my sport of choice is equestrian jumping. I would love,
    absolutely love to go on a fox hunt. Charging along cross country
    and jumping fences while following the hounds would be a blast.
    Foxes are varmints around here and shot on sight, not only because
    they kill livestock but because they are notorious for carrying
    rabies.

    Where I used to work they were being chased out of their natural
    habitat by rampant development. There was a copse of woods where a
    mother and her kits lived. They started tearing down the trees to
    build yet another useless office building (there were plenty of them
    around with space as not yet rented). The fox and her kits would
    romp around in the grassy area by the remaining woods next to the
    parking lot where I worked.

    Most of us were delighted to be able to see them from the office
    windows. But *some* people were afraid of them, much as they are
    afraid of dogs, and insisted management "do something" about them.
    They weren't hurting anyone. They weren't foaming at the mouth or
    even approaching people, although they did look for scraps of food
    around the dumpsters when no one was around.

    I gave someone in management information for having them humanely
    trapped and let go in a non-urban area. The foxes disappeared. I
    have no idea if they were actually humanely trapped or if some idiot
    went out and killed them for daring to infringe on the development
    of "man".

    "And they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" - Joni Mitchell

    Jill


    A few years back there was a documentary on "urban" wildlife on, I
    believe, the Discovery Channel. Seems a large number of critters live
    in the city now including fox, coyote, raccoons, etc. Camera crew was
    out at night with low light lens shooting the critters as they came
    out to search for food. Pretty interesting.

    I live in a small city in Louisiana and we have raccoons, opossums,
    armadillos, etc. Saw a young deer trotting down the street the other
    morning in the wee hours.

    George

    Yes! I have my fair share of oppossums and raccoons (they were raiding my
    garbage cans at one point!). Lots of birds, I love birds. And I've seen
    deer standing by the side of the road. I live right near a protected area,
    Shelby Farms, where there is a bison range. It's fun to watch the little
    bitty bisons (they are about as tiny as Great Dane dogs!) stumbling after
    mamma. I hope those foxes were relocated, not killed. They weren't hurting
    anyone. But I'll never know.

    Jill

  6. George Shirley said:

    Southern gentleman. My Mama would get out of her grave and whack me if I
    cursed in front of "ladies."

    Have you ever considered polygamy? Would wife #1 allow it?

    TammyM, siddling up to be Jorge's #2

  7. On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:52:37 GMT, [email hidden] (Curly

    Sue) said:
    notbob said:
    Dave Smith said:

    A "performance artist" in Britain has eaten a Corgi as a protest against
    the royal family's treatment of animals.
    I always thought that the radical animal rights people were playing a few
    cards short of a deck but this guy takes the cake.

    Wouldn'a been so bad if he'd provided a recipe.

    "Mark McGowan dines on what he said was a corgi. He hopes to draw attention
    to reports that Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, had beaten a fox
    to death."

    So, why didn't he eat a Beagle?

    "McGowan, a British artist, talks to reporters at his protest. He said the
    corgi meat he ate was mixed with apple, onion and seasoning and served with
    a salad."

    Well, there ya go. Maybe Food TV will do a Semi-Homemade segment on Corgi
    braised in canned mushroom soup.

    nb

    Spot Roast
    Beagles and Lox

    Chihuahua chowder.

    TammyM, the ingredients for which live in the yard behind my house....

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (TammyM)

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:52:37 GMT, [email hidden] (Curly

    Sue) said:
    notbob said:

    On 2007-06-01, Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > A "performance artist" in Britain has eaten a Corgi as a protest against
    > the royal family's treatment of animals.
    > I always thought that the radical animal rights people were playing a few
    > cards short of a deck but this guy takes the cake.

    Wouldn'a been so bad if he'd provided a recipe.

    "Mark McGowan dines on what he said was a corgi. He hopes to draw attention
    to reports that Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, had beaten a fox
    to death."

    So, why didn't he eat a Beagle?

    "McGowan, a British artist, talks to reporters at his protest. He said the
    corgi meat he ate was mixed with apple, onion and seasoning and served with
    a salad."

    Well, there ya go. Maybe Food TV will do a Semi-Homemade segment on Corgi
    braised in canned mushroom soup.

    nb

    Spot Roast
    Beagles and Lox

    Chihuahua chowder.

    TammyM, the ingredients for which live in the yard behind my house....

    Pitt Bull pit barbecue.

    I can empathize with you!
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  9. Andy <q> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Andy
    Loves snapper soup

    prior to WWII snapping turtle farming was a good business
    down South, particularly in LA.
    i don't have a problem with people eating farmed turtle soup,
    but snapping turtles are becoming an endangered species in the
    wild.
    yes, i know you think you see lots of snappers, but... it
    takes 25 years for a snapping turtle to reach sexual maturity
    (shell size over 12"😉, a female only lays eggs every other
    year usually & out of an average nest of eggs (25-40), only
    one turtle will survive to maturity.
    snappers are really very nice turtles, although rather
    misunderstood 🙂
    lee <has a nearly 3 year old baby snapper. yes, in the house.
    no, he doesn't bite>

  10. enigma said:

    i don't have a problem with people eating farmed turtle soup,
    but snapping turtles are becoming an endangered species in the
    wild.

    Give 'em a CCW! 😉

    nb

  11. TammyM said:
    George Shirley said:

    Southern gentleman. My Mama would get out of her grave and whack me if I
    cursed in front of "ladies."

    Have you ever considered polygamy? Would wife #1 allow it?

    TammyM, siddling up to be Jorge's #2

    You'll have to get in line Tammy. Lots of ladies around here like me
    because I say "Mam", open doors for them, and am polite. Seems some
    parents no longer teach their children to be courteous. I've been with
    #1 wife since June of 1958 when we met as eighteen year olds and I
    wouldn't know what to do without her.

    George

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    notbob said:
    enigma said:

    i don't have a problem with people eating farmed turtle soup,
    but snapping turtles are becoming an endangered species in the
    wild.

    Give 'em a CCW! 😉

    nb

    <lol>

    How to hijack another thread?
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    notbob said:
    enigma said:

    i don't have a problem with people eating farmed turtle soup,
    but snapping turtles are becoming an endangered species in the
    wild.

    Give 'em a CCW! 😉

    But they have to pass a written gun safety test first!

  14. (TammyM) said:

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:52:37 GMT, [email hidden] (Curly

    Sue) said:
    notbob said:

    On 2007-06-01, Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > A "performance artist" in Britain has eaten a Corgi as a protest against
    > the royal family's treatment of animals.
    > I always thought that the radical animal rights people were playing a few
    > cards short of a deck but this guy takes the cake.

    Wouldn'a been so bad if he'd provided a recipe.

    "Mark McGowan dines on what he said was a corgi. He hopes to draw attention
    to reports that Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, had beaten a fox
    to death."

    So, why didn't he eat a Beagle?

    "McGowan, a British artist, talks to reporters at his protest. He said the
    corgi meat he ate was mixed with apple, onion and seasoning and served with
    a salad."

    Well, there ya go. Maybe Food TV will do a Semi-Homemade segment on Corgi
    braised in canned mushroom soup.

    nb

    Spot Roast
    Beagles and Lox

    Chihuahua chowder.

    TammyM, the ingredients for which live in the yard behind my house....

    One summer as a teen I babysat for 4 boys under 11 yo and 5
    chihuahaus. That, plus working the zoo shift at Burger King, made me
    what I am today 🙂

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.