Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Howdy, need advice....

Started by aTmSpectre · · Last activity · 6 posts · 759 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 July 2004
Last activity
22 July 2004
Original author
aTmSpectre
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
759
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. First allow myself to introduce.....myself:o

    My name's Jonathan. I'm a freshman Petroleum Engineering major at Texas A&M. I've been riding recreationaly for as long as I can remember, but now that I'm at college I'm stepping it up a level and joining the A&M cycling team. However, my current bike is trashed beyond comprehension. I've had it for 6 years, what do you expect?

    Anyways, I'm into mountain biking mostly, but I do plan on buying a road bike as well as soon as I find myself with a few extra bucks (ha). But for right now I need a new mountain bike for XC competition and weekend riding. My budget for this bike is $700 or less, in the spring I'll probably have about $1500 to devote to a full race rig though.

    What would you suggest? Do you need more information?

    Thanks and Gig Em

  2. aTmSpectre said:

    First allow myself to introduce.....myself: My name's Jonathan. I'm a
    freshman Petroleum Engineering major at Texas A&M. I've been riding
    recreationaly for as long as I can


    remember, but now that I'm at college I'm

    Quoted message said:

    stepping it up a level and joining the A&M cycling team. However, my current
    bike is trashed beyond comprehension.

    Beyond comprehension? Do you mean that you don't understand how it came
    to be in that state?

    Quoted message said:

    I've had it for 6 years, what do you expect?

    Bikes need some maintenance, guy. With the exception of consumable
    items, such as tires, chains and cables, bikes can last for decades.
    Hope you treat your next one better.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyways, I'm into mountain biking mostly, but I do plan on buying a
    road bike as well as soon as I find myself with a few extra bucks (ha). But
    for right now I need a new mountain bike for XC competition and weekend
    riding. My budget for this bike is $700 or less, in the spring I'll probably
    have about $1500 to devote to a full race rig though. What would you
    suggest? Do you need more information? Thanks and Gig Em -- aTmSpectre

    You can find a number of decent bikes for that figure, so I don't have
    much in the way of specific recommendations. But I would avoid designs
    or parts that are any distance from the mainstream. As others will tell
    you, a bike that fits your bod well is the main thing. After that,
    proper set up and careful assembly. Many shops do a poor job of that:
    inadequately lubricated bearings (you're a Petroleum Engineering major,
    right?) and poorly tensioned and relieved spokes are two areas of
    weakness.

    Let us know your decision and how you got there.

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

  3. By trashed I mean major stuff. Stuff that I have no reason to bother paying to replace. It's a cheap bike with cheap parts. The main problem is that the front gears are actually warped and bent so if I apply too much force to the pedels the chain jumps off the wheel and moves to random places. Also the rear wheel is bent slightly, the left side of the handle bar is bent, the front brake is innoperable, etc. Stuff that I really had no control over, everything is clean and well lubricated though. The bike has just been ridden hard for too long and it's showing it. Out of the following bikes what would you recommend?

    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Trek 6700

    All 3 of these bikes I can get good deals on and they were the bikes I was mainly looking at.

  4. "aTmSpectre" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    First allow myself to introduce.....myself:o

    My name's Jonathan. I'm a freshman Petroleum Engineering major at
    Texas A&M. I've been riding recreationaly for as long as I can
    remember, but now that I'm at college I'm stepping it up a level and
    joining the A&M cycling team. However, my current bike is trashed
    beyond comprehension. I've had it for 6 years, what do you expect?

    Anyways, I'm into mountain biking mostly, but I do plan on buying a
    road bike as well as soon as I find myself with a few extra bucks (ha).
    But for right now I need a new mountain bike for XC competition and
    weekend riding. My budget for this bike is $700 or less, in the spring
    I'll probably have about $1500 to devote to a full race rig though.

    What would you suggest? Do you need more information?

    Thanks and Gig Em

    --
    aTmSpectre

    I just got a new Cannondale, but its in Boomer Sooner colors. 8^)

    winnard

  5. aTmSpectre said:


    First allow myself to introduce.....myself:o

    My name's Jonathan. I'm a freshman Petroleum Engineering major at
    Texas A&M. I've been riding recreationaly for as long as I can
    remember, but now that I'm at college I'm stepping it up a level and
    joining the A&M cycling team. However, my current bike is trashed
    beyond comprehension. I've had it for 6 years, what do you expect?

    Anyways, I'm into mountain biking mostly, but I do plan on buying a
    road bike as well as soon as I find myself with a few extra bucks (ha).
    But for right now I need a new mountain bike for XC competition and
    weekend riding. My budget for this bike is $700 or less, in the spring
    I'll probably have about $1500 to devote to a full race rig though.

    What would you suggest? Do you need more information?

    From what I've seen, you should be sitting in the heart of Used Bike
    Bargain City. Shop the dorm bulletin boards and the classified ads,
    and check with the campus cops; I don't know if A&M has a cycle
    boneyard that students can raid, or if they have an abandoned bike
    auction, but as many bikes as I've seen *obviously* abandoned on that
    campus, there has to be someplace up there where bargains and/or
    outright freebies can be had *legally*.

    Beyond that, it's just a matter of shopping; the bargans will largely
    depend on who has too much of what in your area.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  6. aTmSpectre said:

    Out of the following bikes what would you recommend?

    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Trek 6700

    Personally, I'd latch on to the Specialized, but I don't see any
    reason to avoid the other two.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.