UK and Europe · Public discussion

HRM's

Started by Racer · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,015 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 August 2004
Last activity
23 August 2004
Original author
Racer
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,015
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:05:06 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>
    wrote (more or less):

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Velvet

    (') said:

    In my case it's VERY useful to see the graph over time (or distance,
    if I prefer) of what my heart rate is doing, and compare with
    speed/cadence/altitudes (and thus rate of climb etc).  Plus, having
    had a few instances where I've nearly feinted with suddenly very low
    heart rates (considering I'd just climbed up a long hill) there was a
    bit of concern as to what it was actually doing (the heart, not the
    monitor) sometimes, and it meant I could look back and see, rather
    than fail to remember to look *at the time*.

    OK, this is what I don't get. Forgive me if I'm an old fogey. Who the
    hell cares what their heart is doing, provided it keeps on doing it?
    What you want to know is how much distance you're covering, and how
    fast you're covering it (and for how much longer you'll be able to
    maintain that speed, and at what rate your speed will decrease as
    tiredness builds).

    I use it to try and help force myself to have gentle exercise, and to
    help myself force myself to pace myself on longer rides.

    Quoted message said:

    I mean, persuade me. I would dearly love not to have to take large
    quantities of rat-poison every day, and not to have to go into the
    doctors' once a fortnight to have my blood viscosity measured. But I
    just don't see what difference knowing how hard my heart was beating
    would make. Cadence, yes, I see that. Altimeter and in particular
    rate-of-climb meter, yes, excellent. Heart rate? WTF? It's a pump. It
    pumps. If it doesn't pump enough oxygen in and enough lactic acid out,
    my legs don't go round so well and my cadence and speed drop. And you
    can usually observe that without any instrumentation at all.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
    Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

  2. On 23/8/04 11:51 am, in article [email hidden],

    Gawnsoft said:

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:05:06 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>
    wrote (more or less):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    OK, this is what I don't get. Forgive me if I'm an old fogey. Who the
    hell cares what their heart is doing, provided it keeps on doing it?
    What you want to know is how much distance you're covering, and how
    fast you're covering it (and for how much longer you'll be able to
    maintain that speed, and at what rate your speed will decrease as
    tiredness builds).

    Quoted message said:

    I use it to try and help force myself to have gentle exercise, and to
    help myself force myself to pace myself on longer rides.

    I found exactly the same. I was pushing far too hard for my own good and
    essentially trying to sprint everywhere. The HRM forced me to relax and I
    began to enjoy it more and survive longer rides in a better state.

    That is, once I'd got past the shiny toy syndrome of seeing how big a number
    I could get on the screen.

    I find it useful in TT to ensure I am putting in an appropriate amount of
    effort without overcooking it and useful for ensuring I am putting the
    effort in on shorter training rides. It helps me to track recovery for
    sprint intervals (sprint flat out for 200m then coast gently till the pulse
    drops below a threshold then off you go again..)

    I know that if I keep spinning at around 130bpm without too many forays into
    the 160 zone and none over 170 that I can keep going pretty much
    indefinitely given sufficient food and drink.

    ...d

  3. Simon Brooke said:

    OK, this is what I don't get. Forgive me if I'm an old fogey. Who the
    hell cares what their heart is doing, provided it keeps on doing it?
    What you want to know is how much distance you're covering, and how
    fast you're covering it (and for how much longer you'll be able to
    maintain that speed, and at what rate your speed will decrease as
    tiredness builds).

    And when you're going up or down hill? A speedo isn't a proxy for effort
    then, is it? An HRM tells you your effort regardless of what you're doing.

    Quoted message said:


    I mean, persuade me. I would dearly love not to have to take large
    quantities of rat-poison every day, and not to have to go into the
    doctors' once a fortnight to have my blood viscosity measured. But I
    just don't see what difference knowing how hard my heart was beating
    would make. Cadence, yes, I see that. Altimeter and in particular
    rate-of-climb meter, yes, excellent. Heart rate? WTF? It's a pump. It
    pumps. If it doesn't pump enough oxygen in and enough lactic acid out,
    my legs don't go round so well and my cadence and speed drop. And you
    can usually observe that without any instrumentation at all.

    But if you were training sensibly there would be occasions when you
    wouldn't want to reach this condition. An HRM can stop you doing so. It
    can also stop you slacking.

    I've seen the instrumentation thread. You should get something with an
    HRM. Lance uses one, you know.

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "A modest little person, with much to be modest about."-
    Winston Churchill
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, this is what I don't get. Forgive me if I'm an old fogey. Who the
    hell cares what their heart is doing, provided it keeps on doing it?
    What you want to know is how much distance you're covering, and how
    fast you're covering it (and for how much longer you'll be able to
    maintain that speed, and at what rate your speed will decrease as
    tiredness builds).

    I mean, persuade me. I would dearly love not to have to take large
    quantities of rat-poison every day, and not to have to go into the
    doctors' once a fortnight to have my blood viscosity measured. But I
    just don't see what difference knowing how hard my heart was beating
    would make. Cadence, yes, I see that. Altimeter and in particular
    rate-of-climb meter, yes, excellent. Heart rate? WTF? It's a pump. It
    pumps. If it doesn't pump enough oxygen in and enough lactic acid out,
    my legs don't go round so well and my cadence and speed drop. And you
    can usually observe that without any instrumentation at all.

    HRMs are an excellent aid for training, even if only used occasionally.
    (Mine has not been in use while cycling for the best part of a year, but
    I wear it if I ever run because I'm not as good at monitoring my effort
    when running). With a HRM you can push your lactate tolerance by working
    out your personal training levels and then trying to ride to a range
    (This can be quite difficult unless you live in the flatlands!).

    Altimeter and rate-of-climb meters on the other hand are great GPS
    functions but make little difference to your performance. Knowing that
    you can go that little bit harder up a hill without going seriously
    anaerobic may help, knowing that you're climbing at X m/s probably wont.

    If you want to play with a HRM, I now have two (Cheap ALDI cycle
    computer, unfitted & Polar HRM). You're more than welcome to have a play
    with either at the meet.

    Jon

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Michael

    MacClancy (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    Persuade me... Heart rate? WTF? It's a pump. It
    pumps. If it doesn't pump enough oxygen in and enough lactic acid
    out, my legs don't go round so well and my cadence and speed drop.
    And you can usually observe that without any instrumentation at all.

    But if you were training sensibly there would be occasions when you
    wouldn't want to reach this condition. An HRM can stop you doing so.
    It can also stop you slacking.

    Yes, but you can feel when you're doing too much, and likewise when
    you're slacking.

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen the instrumentation thread. You should get something with
    an HRM. Lance uses one, you know.

    I'm sure he does. He's an extremely driven individual, desperate to
    prove himself better than anyone else. He's trying to squeeze the very
    last ounce of performance out of his body. That seems to me a very
    different thing from any of those of us who aren't trying to compete at
    world level. All I want to do is enjoy myself, and preserve a
    reasonable level of fitness and mobility into old age.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Michael

    MacClancy (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    Persuade me... Heart rate? WTF? It's a pump. It
    pumps. If it doesn't pump enough oxygen in and enough lactic acid
    out, my legs don't go round so well and my cadence and speed drop.
    And you can usually observe that without any instrumentation at all.

    But if you were training sensibly there would be occasions when you
    wouldn't want to reach this condition. An HRM can stop you doing so.
    It can also stop you slacking.

    Yes, but you can feel when you're doing too much, and likewise when
    you're slacking.

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen the instrumentation thread. You should get something with
    an HRM. Lance uses one, you know.

    I'm sure he does. He's an extremely driven individual, desperate to
    prove himself better than anyone else. He's trying to squeeze the very
    last ounce of performance out of his body. That seems to me a very
    different thing from any of those of us who aren't trying to compete at
    world level. All I want to do is enjoy myself, and preserve a
    reasonable level of fitness and mobility into old age.

    Why bother with a speedometer then? Or a rate of climb meter? Why do you
    want to know your cadence? Is there much of a difference between knowing
    any of these figures and your heart rate?

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his
    friends." -Oscar Wilde
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk

  7. in message <[email hidden]>, Michael

    MacClancy (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Michael

    MacClancy (') said:

    I've seen the instrumentation thread. You should get something with
    an HRM. Lance uses one, you know.

    I'm sure he does. He's an extremely driven individual, desperate to
    prove himself better than anyone else. He's trying to squeeze the
    very last ounce of performance out of his body. That seems to me a
    very different thing from any of those of us who aren't trying to
    compete at world level. All I want to do is enjoy myself, and
    preserve a reasonable level of fitness and mobility into old age.

    Why bother with a speedometer then? Or a rate of climb meter? Why do
    you
    want to know your cadence? Is there much of a difference between
    knowing any of these figures and your heart rate?

    Yes. If I know my current rate of progress and the distance to my
    destination, then I can make an informed guess as to ETA. If I'm trying
    to complete a run by a given time, I have advance notice of the fact
    that I'm not going to make it and should short-cut or turn back early
    (or phone home). I want to know my cadence because I'm trying to raise
    it, and it's hard to know whether you're rising it if you can't measure
    it. And in an area of the country (such as this one) where the hills
    are relatively big and the gradients are relatively steep, it's useful
    to know how steep the gradients are because then you can plan your
    routes to avoid the worst of them. But heart rate? So what? It's going.
    It hasn't stopped. When it does stop I won't know much about it. So why
    not just let it get on with it?

    However, in the end it's what people want. I can't see any use I could
    possibly have for heart rate data. If you can, by all means use one.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    [ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

  8. Simon Brooke said:

    I mean, persuade me.

    I think men just love competing, and this offers - amongst other things,
    as people with medical conditions have pointed out - another way in
    which to compete, which is to say, against oneself with the added bonus
    of an objective arbitrator.

    My ride to work is short, and doesn't offer much in the way of a
    contest, but there is a stretch where I go for a new top speed each
    time. The only thing I really get out of it is being able to come home
    and say, hey, guess what, I did 43km/h (or whatever) today. But that's
    more fun than not being able to do it.

    And with a complicated cycle computer/heart rate monitor there are many
    variables to play with and enjoy. I took up swimming once, in an effort
    to get fit. The first time I swam about 30 lengths, the next 50, then
    80, then 130. And then I gave up, because the thought of having to swim
    more than 130 lengths just to get started was unappealing. If I'd been
    equipped with a waterproof watch I could perhaps have worked on doing
    the lengths faster or something, but I didn't manage to think of that at
    the time.

    Swimming's not fun unless you're fooling around, or trying to outdo
    someone (including yourself) in some pointless feat of effort while
    doing it.

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice Ltd
    Chapter Arts Centre
    Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
    Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.