UK and Europe · Public discussion

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/

Started by PJ · · Last activity · 8 posts · 460 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 September 2004
Last activity
15 September 2004
Original author
PJ
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
460
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone have experience of http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/

    Thanks,

    PJ.
    80)

  2. PJ <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Does anyone have experience of http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/

    Well, based on a (very) quick glance at the website, the stuff that
    is cheap is rubbish and the stuff that isn't isn't much cheaper than
    you could get it elsewhere

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    PJ <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Does anyone have experience of http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/

    Well, based on a (very) quick glance at the website, the stuff that
    is cheap is rubbish and the stuff that isn't isn't much cheaper than
    you could get it elsewhere

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

    Any suggestions? I'm looking for the Claud Butler range.

    PJ.
    80)

  4. PJ <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : Any suggestions? I'm looking for the Claud Butler range.

    Why Claud Butler in particular?

    What sort of bike are you looking for and how much are
    you thinking about spending? What sort of riding do you
    do?

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, PJ

    (') said:


    "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    PJ <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Does anyone have experience of http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/

    Well, based on a (very) quick glance at the website, the stuff that
    is cheap is rubbish and the stuff that isn't isn't much cheaper than
    you could get it elsewhere

    Any suggestions? I'm looking for the Claud Butler range.

    Check your Local Bike Shop. The Claud Butler range is available in many
    LBSs throughout the country, and offer very reasonable value for money.
    At your LBS you will get a bike which is the right size for you and
    properly set up for you, and you will probably get a free service after
    the first few weeks to sort out the inevitable cable stretch and other
    minor problems of a new bike. Well worth it.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; all in all you're just another click in the call
    ;; -- Minke Bouyed

  6. blackbat <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : Yup, been to the shop in brixton - a unit in shakespeare rd industrial
    : estate. If you saw summat you liked on the site at a good price and
    : test rode it elsewhere I'm sure you could buy from them with
    : confidence.

    As I've said before about this, you could test ride it elsewhere and then
    buy from a box shifter, but only if you are an [censored].

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook


  7. Quoted message said:


    As I've said before about this, you could test ride it elsewhere and then
    buy from a box shifter, but only if you are an [censored].

    Arthur

    I wouldn't call such a person an [censored] more someone happy to take
    advantage with no guilt in doing so I suppose what many would call a
    bit of a [censored]. However there are some shops like Currys/Dixons who
    I've built up a dislike of where I'd happily waste their time and buy
    elsewhere. I'd have to dislike a shop (i.e. received bad service in
    the past) to do this. I certainly think its ok to browse locally so
    you can have a good look at the model you are interested in and then
    buy online but getting the shop staff to waste half an hour on you
    with the intention of buying elsewhere is not something I'd be
    comfortable with normally.

    I know it conflicts with advice given by others but I find adjusting a
    bike to suit its rider is a long process which probably can only be
    achieved by actually riding for some time. Lets say at least a week.
    In that first week you find yourself tweaking saddle height and tilt,
    handlebar angle and height plus tyre pressures, Personally if I'd gone
    with my LBS advice I would have ended up with a 18" frame as I think
    the salesman had a personal preference in using the smallest frame you
    could get away with. Perhaps this is good for keeping the bike lighter
    or has better riding characteristics. However I prefered having a
    larger 20" frame with higher handlebars. This seemed more comfortable
    and natural to me even if dismounting and mounting wasn't quite as
    easy.

  8. Martin Wilson <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : I wouldn't call such a person an [censored] more someone happy to take
    : advantage with no guilt in doing so I suppose what many would call a
    : bit of a [censored].

    Matter of semantics there maybe.

    : However there are some shops like Currys/Dixons who
    : I've built up a dislike of where I'd happily waste their time and buy
    : elsewhere.

    Ah. Dixons. Yup, I'd not call you on that one.

    Taking advantage of a small LBS by trying out bikes there and hten
    buying them same bike mail order/discount isn't on though IMO.

    Trying a bike and deciding you want a different model is of course
    fair enough; that's the whole idea.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.