William L Hunt said:dkomo said:William L Hunt said:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:57:56 +0000 (UTC), dkomo <[email hidden]> wrote:
>>Tim Tyler wrote:
> dkomo <[email hidden]> wrote or quoted:
>> Web pages of unknown origin are not necessarily good resources.
>>
>
>This was a set of lecture notes from a course at University College London:
>
>ucl.ac.ukucl.ac.ukOpen ↗
>
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>
>ucl.ac.ukc339Open ↗
>
I'll just point out that Tim is being a little harsh because the
website makes clear they "assume" equal investment cost for male and
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:ratio of 1:1.
Please be advised that I don't by any means consider the argument about what Fisher actually
said to be concluded. I think both you and Tim Tyler are wrong. Fisher never used terminology
like "equal
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:in my previous post where I quoted from the lecture notes.
I've carried this as far as I can for the moment because I don't have time to run off to the
local university library and reference Fisher's
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:ratio theory. I'm instead relying on secondary sources which I have on hand which are
interpretations of Fisher's theory.
You can simply provide the relevant quote from Fisher's book to prove me wrong, and I'll accept
that -- but only that.
I'll quote from the website you provided (lecture notes):
Quoted message said:If males are twice as costly to produce as females, then males are only worth producing if they
have twice the reproductive success of females. This will occur when there are twice as many
females as males in the population. That
Quoted message said:be weighted by the cost of producing this
Quoted message said:
Why would you think this is not also from Fisher when they are saying it is? Or why would you
accept what they say is from Fisher in one section but not what they say is from Fisher in
another? I would also have to reference Fisher's book to be sure what he "exactly" said.
William L Hunt
... [snip] ...
Quoted message said:[email hidden]
Page 158ff in the 1958 edition (but no apparent resetting from the 1930 edition); excuse typos:
In organisms of all kinds the young are launched upon their careers endowed with a certain amount of
biological capital derived from their parents. This varies enormously in amount in different
species, but, all in all, there has been, before the offspring is able to lead an independent
existence, a certain expenditure of nutriment in addition, almost universally, to some expenditure
of time or activity, which the parents are induced by their instincts to make for the advantage of
their young. Let us consider the reproductive value of these off-[159]spring at the moment when this
parental expenditure on their behalf has ceased. If we consider the aggregate of an entire
generation of such offspring it is clear that the total reproductive value of the males in this
group is exactly equal to the total value of all the
adjust itself, under the influence of Natural Selection, that the total
be equal; for if this were not so and the total expenditure incurred in producing males, for
instance, were less than the total expenditure incurred in producing females, then since the total
reproductive value of the males is equal to that of the females, it would follow that those parents,
the innate tendencies of which caused them to produce males in excess, would, for the same
expenditure, produce a greater amount of reproductive value; and in consequence would be the
progenitors of a larger fraction of future generations than would parent having a congenital bias
towards the production of females....
the differential mortailty during that period, and if there are [160] such differences, upon which
the differential demands which the young of such species make during their period of dependency; it
will not be infulenced by differential mortality during a self-supporting period;
influenced without compensation, by differential mortality during the period intervening between the
period of dependence and the attainment of maturity. Any great differential mortality in this period
will, however, tend to be checked by Natural Selection, owing to the fact that
to the other, whichever is the scarcer, will be the more valuable, and consequently a more intense
selection will be exerted in favour of all modifications tending towards its preservation. The
numbers attaining
form or habits is thus for other reasons advantageous, but any great and
value. <eq>
God, there was a man who knew how to use a comma...
--
John Wilkins [email hidden] wilkins.id.auwilkins.id.auOpen ↗ "Men mark it when they hit, but do not
mark it when they miss"
- Francis Bacon