Hybrid tire recommendations please

hy_tek

Banned
Sep 24, 2007
My older model hybrid bike uses 700X38C tires and I need replacements. My current tires are cracking on the sidewall and they are the OEM tires that came with the bike. I figure they are just cheap generic tires to begin with since there is not even a brand name on them. I know nothing about bicycle tires. But I have been getting a lot of flats lately from glass I presume. I ride primarily on the paved bike paths and roads around my area. My riding consists of up to 40 miles per trip so I need something reliable with a kevlar belt I would think. I checked out tires from Kenda which seem very reasonable although I don't know about the quality since nobody seems to recommend them in the forums.

The Schwalbe Marathon seems to be highly recommended as well as the Specialized Armadillos. I am a big guy at about 260 pounds so I want something that rolls easily, is flat resistant and will carry my weight. Speed and tire weight is not a concern to me since my biking is recreational in nature.

Nashbar has a tire called Vittorio Radonneur Pro on sale which looked promising is this a good tire? Do I want a wire beaded tire or just a folding tire I have no idea what is the difference. It seems the wire beads such as the Schwalbe Marathon have reportedly been harder than usual to get on and off the bike rims from what I read in the forums.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :confused:

Well, it will be hard to find a clincher that rolls very well and is puncture resistant. As in everything in life, there are trade-offs - the better the puncture resistance, the higher the weight and usually, higher rolling resistance.

The Marathon, Armadillo and Randonneur are all three excellent clinchers by reputable manufacturers. The Armadillo has a reputation as being extremely puncture resistant, the Marathon has a reputation as a real high mileage clincher and the Randonneur is probably somewhere in the middle.

I honestly do not think (unless you are riding in very specific conditions) that you could go wrong with any of those. Others who have more direct experience will be able to help you more.

I use the Schwalbe Marathon tires on my touring bike and have only had one flat in two thousand miles.That was by a nail that would puncture just about any tire.

I have no experience with the Armadillos or the Randonnuers so I can't say much for them.But I have had good results with Continental tires in the past.

hy_tek said:
My older model hybrid bike uses 700X38C tires and I need replacements. My current tires are cracking on the sidewall and they are the OEM tires that came with the bike. I figure they are just cheap generic tires to begin with since there is not even a brand name on them. I know nothing about bicycle tires. But I have been getting a lot of flats lately from glass I presume. I ride primarily on the paved bike paths and roads around my area. My riding consists of up to 40 miles per trip so I need something reliable with a kevlar belt I would think. I checked out tires from Kenda which seem very reasonable although I don't know about the quality since nobody seems to recommend them in the forums.

The Schwalbe Marathon seems to be highly recommended as well as the Specialized Armadillos. I am a big guy at about 260 pounds so I want something that rolls easily, is flat resistant and will carry my weight. Speed and tire weight is not a concern to me since my biking is recreational in nature.

Nashbar has a tire called Vittorio Radonneur Pro on sale which looked promising is this a good tire? Do I want a wire beaded tire or just a folding tire I have no idea what is the difference. It seems the wire beads such as the Schwalbe Marathon have reportedly been harder than usual to get on and off the bike rims from what I read in the forums.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :confused:

Also Conti Contact in 32 or 37.

I am a big guy at 6'3" tall and 260 pounds. Does my weight factor into what size tire I get or is this a non issue.

Oh and thank you guys so much for your comments keep 'em coming.

I read the wire beaded Marathons can be difficult for the average person to get on and off the rim is this true? Is there any advantage to a wire beaded tire over a standard bead?

Are Kenda branded tires any good? They seem to run a lot cheaper in price.

hy_tek said:
I am a big guy at 6'3" tall and 260 pounds. Does my weight factor into what size tire I get or is this a non issue.

I read the wire beaded Marathons can be difficult for the average person to get on and off the rim is this true? Is there any advantage to a wire beaded tire over a standard bead?

Kenda are considered to be more of a budget clincher, definitely a step below the brands named above.

I would recommend you get a decent sized clincher (do not go below 700x28 or x30)... the comfort then comes from experimenting with the inflation of your clinchers.

I have no experience with Marathons, but I suspect it will just take a bit more cursing to get them on your rims the first time. ;)

Powerful Pete said:
Kenda are considered to be more of a budget clincher, definitely a step below the brands named above.

I would recommend you get a decent sized clincher (do not go below 700x28 or x30)... the comfort then comes from experimenting with the inflation of your clinchers.

I have no experience with Marathons, but I suspect it will just take a bit more cursing to get them on your rims the first time. ;)
You mean to tell me that bikers curse?????...:eek:

First global warming and now this....my world is shattered!!!!.....:D

I had no problems mounting my marathons the first time,like all tires I have mounted it does take some hand strength.Schwalbe sells an easy fit liquid you can put on to help make mounting the tire easier,it cost about ten dollars,if you are concerned about having difficulty mounting them.

hy_tek said:

Wire beaded tires ARE the "standard" tire ... and, generally, are easier to mount than tires with Kevlar beads.

Your weight is definitely a factor in the tire SIZE that you select ... the bigger the rider, the bigger the (road) tire.

FWIW. Whether Kenda tires are "any good" is a good question (I don't own any Kenda tires, and out of habit most of my clinchers are Michelin ... since around 1970!).

ROAD bike riders seem to be brand loyal ... but, can obviously be influenced by what happens in the professional world of sports ... hence, the success of Nike in the sports shoe world.

You should note that MTB riders have generally been open to new ideas & products ... subsequently, you will also note that Shimano tests & introduces new component designs in their MTB line of components ...

KENDA is a 'big' sponsor in the MTB racing world and MTB riders have no qualms about buying-or-using Kenda tires.

Presuming you are NOT taking 90º turns at 25+ MPH & the ultimate traction through a high speed turn on the road is therefore not critical (all tires will slip on a "sandy" road) & the tread wear and/or puncture resistance is possibly more important to you ...

Then, I suggest that you let your wallet be your guide ... buy any pair of TRAINING-or-TOURING tires that are conveniently sourced ... whether your LBS, mail order, REI, whomever.

If you buy a pair of Kenda tires and you decide they are too heavy or are more flat prone than another tire OR great then you'll know that just because some tires have a great "fan" following there may be others which are equally worthy & you can report back to all of us.

BTW. If you have a legitimate problem with ANY brand of tire in the first couple of hundred miles ("road hazards" like nails probably don't count), then contact the supplier/distributor/retailer & they will usually replace it.

alfeng said:
Wire beaded tires ARE the "standard" tire ... and, generally, are easier to mount than tires with Kevlar beads.

Your weight is definitely a factor in the tire SIZE that you select ... the bigger the rider, the bigger the (road) tire.
I would second these ideas and only add that the dollars decline vs the euro means that $30 tires from Europe now cost $50. If you need value, you can find it in Kenda, American made, or Panaracer, Japanese.

I think you can't miss if you stick in the 35 to 40c sizes.

Good luck with your choice.