Road Cycling · Public discussion

Hydration options ? - long road race / no support

Started by Lou D'Amelio · · Last activity · 27 posts · 867 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 June 2006
Last activity
23 June 2006
Original author
Lou D'Amelio
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
867
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

  2. Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

  3. On 21 Jun 2006 18:16:37 -0700, "Lou D'Amelio" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles.

    Four is annoying to carry, but doable. Take a fifth bottle to the
    start line in case there are delays and you're standing around there
    for awhile.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. On 21 Jun 2006 18:16:37 -0700, "Lou D'Amelio" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles.

    Four is annoying to carry, but doable. Take a fifth bottle to the
    start line in case there are delays and you're standing around there
    for awhile.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    Assume you meant "is it legal?" ... yes, it's legal. Only USCF rule
    on water carrying is you can't use glass bottles.

    I have never liked Camelbacks, but a Camelback full of ice water
    might not be such a bad thing on a hot day, for the cooling value
    as well as the drinking. If you want to look like a freaky hunchback
    rather than a displaced mountain biker, you could do like CSO Coggan
    and wear it under the jersey.

    Sometimes you can find a distant acquaintance to do your
    handups - I've done this for people at cross races, at the road
    race, who knows. On a hot day people are sympathetic.

  6. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    Assume you meant "is it legal?" ... yes, it's legal. Only USCF rule
    on water carrying is you can't use glass bottles.

    I have never liked Camelbacks, but a Camelback full of ice water
    might not be such a bad thing on a hot day, for the cooling value
    as well as the drinking. If you want to look like a freaky hunchback
    rather than a displaced mountain biker, you could do like CSO Coggan
    and wear it under the jersey.

    Sometimes you can find a distant acquaintance to do your
    handups - I've done this for people at cross races, at the road
    race, who knows. On a hot day people are sympathetic.

  7. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
    'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
    designated site where someone will pick 'em up. Jettisoned bottles =
    litter.

  8. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
    'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
    designated site where someone will pick 'em up. Jettisoned bottles =
    litter.

  9. On 21 Jun 2006 19:03:37 -0700, "Scott" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
    'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
    designated site where someone will pick 'em up.

    What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  10. On 21 Jun 2006 19:03:37 -0700, "Scott" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
    'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
    designated site where someone will pick 'em up.

    What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  11. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote ...

    Quoted message said:


    What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

    I heard Albright still goes around collecting.

    --
    Snippy

  12. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote ...

    Quoted message said:


    What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

    I heard Albright still goes around collecting.

    --
    Snippy

  13. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    Bring as many bottles as you have (ideally a recognizable color) and
    find someone who has support and ask them to hand off to you too. I'd
    be amazed if you couldn't find someone to help.

    Good luck!

    Joseph

  14. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    Bring as many bottles as you have (ideally a recognizable color) and
    find someone who has support and ask them to hand off to you too. I'd
    be amazed if you couldn't find someone to help.

    Good luck!

    Joseph

  15. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    This suggestion my be "Fredly" as well, but when I do long rides, I
    have one of those Profile aero cage thingys that go behind your seat
    that carry two more bottles. I can carry 5 comfortably - 4 on the bike
    and one in the pocket. I find carrying one in my jersey isn't bad, but
    two is uncomfortable. Nothing like carrying an extra 10 pounds!

    Greg Wood

  16. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    This suggestion my be "Fredly" as well, but when I do long rides, I
    have one of those Profile aero cage thingys that go behind your seat
    that carry two more bottles. I can carry 5 comfortably - 4 on the bike
    and one in the pocket. I find carrying one in my jersey isn't bad, but
    two is uncomfortable. Nothing like carrying an extra 10 pounds!

    Greg Wood

  17. Scott said:


    Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
    my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
    Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
    about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
    3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
    start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
    couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
    Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

    If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
    'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
    designated site where someone will pick 'em up. Jettisoned bottles =
    litter.

    Litter! If it wasn't for lost, tossed bottles I'd have to buy the damn things.

    Ron

  18. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Four is annoying to carry, but doable. Take a fifth bottle to the
    start line in case there are delays and you're standing around there
    for awhile.

    Obvious attempt for a free Livedrunk (c) bracelet, although most
    members are stictly going with quarts and 1.5 liter bottles.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  19. Curtis L. Russell said:

    Obvious attempt for a free Livedrunk (c) bracelet, although most
    members are stictly going with quarts and 1.5 liter bottles.

    You forgot the obligatory disclaimer: Livedrunk(tm) does not condone or in
    any way encourage the consumption of alcoholic beverages while riding a
    bicycle.

    We wouldn't want Livedrunk to get sued would we now ?

  20. Donald Munro said:
    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Obvious attempt for a free Livedrunk (c) bracelet, although most
    members are stictly going with quarts and 1.5 liter bottles.

    You forgot the obligatory disclaimer: Livedrunk(tm) does not condone or in
    any way encourage the consumption of alcoholic beverages while riding a
    bicycle.

    We wouldn't want Livedrunk to get sued would we now ?

    Thank you. I need to be more carefuler.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Livedrunk(tm) does not condone or in any way encourage the consumption
    of alcoholic beverages while riding a bicycle.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.