Hydroforming?

trinitykuo00

Jul 2, 2004
I'm currently shopping for a bike and I've noticed that a couple have "hydroformed" frames... Is there a real difference between hydroformed frames and regular aluminum frames? Should I pick a bike with a hydroformed frame or not? Thanks for your help! :)

Originally posted by trinitykuo00
I'm currently shopping for a bike and I've noticed that a couple have "hydroformed" frames... Is there a real difference between hydroformed frames and regular aluminum frames? Should I pick a bike with a hydroformed frame or not? Thanks for your help! :)
Well, if more complex shapes spins your beanie. It's more marketing than real value or improvement.

Agreed. It's neat, is all.

Someday, someone might illustrate how the exotic shaping hydroforming lends a metal frame (like the new version of the DeRosa Merak) makes things dramatically stiffer, lighter, faster, comfier, and more durable... but until then, it's simply a cool thing to boast about your bike.

If you get one, be sure to brag about it constantly! :)

Any heat treated alloy will have minimal benefit from hydroforming since this process does not substantially alter the grain structure of the metal. The yield strength of the material is based on the heat treatment.

Hydroforming is useful for complex shapes but the bicycle from does not need this extensive shaping. But I might have some bias since I think contoured tubing is silly. Butted tubing is a sound engineering design but making a round tube into a cloverleaf profile (or any other shape) is just a marketing gimmick. And putting intentional dents in tubing for "compliance" is downright dangerous on aluminum.

Thanks for replying! I was really considering a hydroformed frame, but now I see that it doesn't make a big difference...I'll have to see if it's worth it...