I posted this a few months ago, and I finally got to the
endocrinologist who agreed that I have reactive hypogycemia (I already
knew that, since I've been testing my blood glucose for months). I
have only been running 1-2 x per week, and only a couple miles,
otherwise the symptoms recur. A couple weeks ago I ran just 3 miles 3
days in a row and felt dizzy and pretty rotten for almost a week-thats
when I finally went to my GP and asked for referral to the specialist.
He did a bunch of tests and ruled out other illness.
Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any other hypos out there with
similar problems and how you have dealt with it. I see a dietician
tomorrow (actually just got back, as today is now tomorrow) but I am
skeptical that a few dietary changes are going to eliminate these
rather pronounced symptoms after such short runs. I want to believe
though. I know from email correspondance that at least some hypos can
have dramatic differences once they get on the right diet. Any more of
you/us non-diabetic hypos out there? It looks like the proposed "cure"
is basically to always eat fat/and/or protein with my carbs, while
limiting the latter. Seems to easy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in my mid-40s, and I've been trying to become a light-moderate
runner off and on for a several years now. Last August I started again,
real slow, built up to about 2.5-3 miles per run at a very slow pace,
about 5 days/week. Then in Dec I quit for a while due to cold and snow
(played hockey at least 1-2x per week, and did some light skiing) , and
started up again a few weeks ago, started with 1-1.5 miles and now I'm
back at about 2.5 miles with 2 rest days between runs.
After (not during) my last 3 runs though, I have suffered from extreme
hunger and lightheadedness for up to 48-72 hours afterward. These
symptoms point toward hypoglycemia, which I have always believed I
have, but they are very unusual in lasting so long. Usually
hypoglycemic incidents last only till I eat something, and the symptoms
are more severe, with sweating, and feeling like I am going to faint.
But then they go right away within minutes. The only thing that makes
me feel better for these run-induced problems is to drink lots and lots
of Gatorade (> 1/2 gallon/day), which, unfortunately, is not really a
good thing for hypoglycemia because it can lead to a major blood sugar
crash. And it has a few times.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else and what you do, or if
this might be something other than hypoglycemia.
2.5 miles seems like an awfully short run to cause symptoms that last
so long. I dont have this problem when I play hockey, which is much
higher intensity and longer duration, though I get rest breaks. I only
run first thing in the AM because I cant run with food in me (maybe a
bite or two of banana) or I get violent diarrhea all day, but I'm
wondering if I will have to start eating prior. Going all night without
fuel and then running may be just too much for a hypoglycemic. I am
paying closer attention to what I eat, staying away from refined foods
and sugars, and now I'm trying to eliminate caffeine and alcohol (1
beer per night is all I drink) but there is conflicting info on what
hypoglycemics should eat. Much of the info on the web is contradictory
and/or highly suspect (lemon juice enemas anyone?). Doctors are pretty
much useless when it comes to this condition, in my experience. I have
talked to several and they shrug it off, more or less. I am going to
buy a blood sugar tester this week just to prove to myself (and my
doctor) that I really get low blood sugar.