I am not worthy......but I will ride anyway.

Ok...after being painfully educated as to why we should wear bicycle
shorts, I went to the store to look at them more carefully. Some are
actually nice looking. I bought something I can't possibly wear right
now as I would freeze to death....but it will be used when I ride in
the spring. (YES, I WILL STILL BE RIDING IN THE SPRING).... I received
my paperwork yesterday for the "Coast the Coast" Bike tour for MS. The
only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it takes place RAIN
OR SHINE. I really don't want to die yet. If I ride in the rain I might
do some serious damage to myself. Anyway, some of the clothes came in
my favorite color. BLACK. They kind of remind of of my Yoga Pants
which I wear alot. I bought the following...The Pro Short -
It was described as follows:
The cycling "skort" gives you both comfort and style you won't
find with plain ol' cycling shorts. A serious cycle short with a 6"
inseam and Ultimate Chamois provides great comfort for medium to long
rides, while the wrap around skirt adds a touch of style. The skirt
buckles on the side and has a rear Lycra triangle to relieve pressure
and provide a smooth, flattering fit.

I bought it in Black.....I like it. I humbly apologize for my
ignorance. I am but a mere novice. I think the rain has finally stopped
in Jersey and I am going to take my bike out of the shed where it has
been hiding for a week now. I have my Brand new CatEye Enduro 8
Cycling Computer / Speedometer / Odometer which I purchased from E-bay
and have no clue how to use..I have no clue what the heck it is, how to
use it, or how to put it on my bike...but...I am heading out to try to
figure it out. (This should be good.) ;-) Have a WONDERFUL day.
Maggie
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

>Subject: I am not worthy......but I will ride anyway.
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 12/12/2004 9:07 AM US Eastern Standard Time
>
>Ok...after being painfully educated as to why we should wear bicycle
>shorts, I went to the store to look at them more carefully. Some are
>actually nice looking. I bought something I can't possibly wear right
>now as I would freeze to death....but it will be used when I ride in
>the spring. (YES, I WILL STILL BE RIDING IN THE SPRING).... I received
>my paperwork yesterday for the "Coast the Coast" Bike tour for MS. The
>only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it takes place RAIN
>OR SHINE. I really don't want to die yet. If I ride in the rain I might
>do some serious damage to myself. Anyway, some of the clothes came in
>my favorite color. BLACK. They kind of remind of of my Yoga Pants
>which I wear alot. I bought the following...The Pro Short -
>It was described as follows:
>The cycling "skort" gives you both comfort and style you won't
>find with plain ol' cycling shorts. A serious cycle short with a 6"
>inseam and Ultimate Chamois provides great comfort for medium to long
>rides, while the wrap around skirt adds a touch of style. The skirt
>buckles on the side and has a rear Lycra triangle to relieve pressure
>and provide a smooth, flattering fit.
>
>I bought it in Black.....I like it. I humbly apologize for my
>ignorance. I am but a mere novice. I think the rain has finally stopped
>in Jersey and I am going to take my bike out of the shed where it has
>been hiding for a week now. I have my Brand new CatEye Enduro 8
>Cycling Computer / Speedometer / Odometer which I purchased from E-bay
>and have no clue how to use..I have no clue what the heck it is, how to
>use it, or how to put it on my bike...but...I am heading out to try to
>figure it out. (This should be good.) ;-) Have a WONDERFUL day.
>Maggie
>http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
>http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Pictures of you in them?
You might want a pair of tights for this cooler weather, depending on how cold
blooded you are.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> I bought something I can't possibly wear right
>now as I would freeze to death....but it will be used when I ride in
>the spring. (YES, I WILL STILL BE RIDING IN THE SPRING).... I received
>my paperwork yesterday for the "Coast the Coast" Bike tour for MS. The
>only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it takes place RAIN
>OR SHINE. I really don't want to die yet. If I ride in the rain I might
>do some serious damage to myself. Anyway, some of the clothes came in
>my favorite color. BLACK.

Come spring this new outfit will be too big for you Maggie. You will find the
more you ride the less problems you will have with colds etc. I don't know if
the health benefit results are the same riding indoors.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok...after being painfully educated as to why we should wear bicycle
> shorts, I went to the store to look at them more carefully. Some are
> actually nice looking. I bought something I can't possibly wear right
> now as I would freeze to death....but it will be used when I ride in
> the spring. (YES, I WILL STILL BE RIDING IN THE SPRING).... I received
> my paperwork yesterday for the "Coast the Coast" Bike tour for MS. The
> only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it takes place RAIN
> OR SHINE. I really don't want to die yet. If I ride in the rain I might
> do some serious damage to myself. Anyway, some of the clothes came in
> my favorite color. BLACK. They kind of remind of of my Yoga Pants
> which I wear alot. I bought the following...The Pro Short -
> It was described as follows:
> The cycling "skort" gives you both comfort and style you won't
> find with plain ol' cycling shorts. A serious cycle short with a 6"
> inseam and Ultimate Chamois provides great comfort for medium to long
> rides, while the wrap around skirt adds a touch of style. The skirt
> buckles on the side and has a rear Lycra triangle to relieve pressure
> and provide a smooth, flattering fit.
>
> I bought it in Black.....I like it. I humbly apologize for my
> ignorance. I am but a mere novice. I think the rain has finally stopped
> in Jersey and I am going to take my bike out of the shed where it has
> been hiding for a week now. I have my Brand new CatEye Enduro 8
> Cycling Computer / Speedometer / Odometer which I purchased from E-bay
> and have no clue how to use..I have no clue what the heck it is, how to
> use it, or how to put it on my bike...but...I am heading out to try to
> figure it out. (This should be good.) ;-) Have a WONDERFUL day.
> Maggie
> http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
> http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

I have that brand of skort, and it's great for shorter rides. Longer rides
the skirt part begins to get annoying. Terry also makes just the skirt part
that fits great in your jersey pocket. If you are touring you can then pull
it out a pop it on over your shorts (or tights!!!) to feel more covered
wandering into stores and churches and such. It also means you aren't tied
to the Terry shorts. I find the shebeest brand more comfortable. (This is
really a YMMV issue...)

On 12 Dec 2004 06:07:55 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Ok...after being painfully educated as to why we should wear bicycle
>shorts, I went to the store to look at them more carefully. Some are
>actually nice looking. I bought something I can't possibly wear right
>now as I would freeze to death....but it will be used when I ride in
>the spring.

You can wear them right now, if you stick a pair of Roubaix tights
over the top. And don't forget: no underwear under padded bike
shorts, OK? It feels a bit rude to start with, but believe me this is
the Correct Method.

>The cycling "skort" gives you both comfort and style you won't
>find with plain ol' cycling shorts.

Corinne Dennis sell a skort, very stylish.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

I have that brand of skort, and it's great for shorter rides. Longer
rides
the skirt part begins to get annoying. Terry also makes just the skirt
part
that fits great in your jersey pocket. If you are touring you can then
pull
it out a pop it on over your shorts (or tights!!!) to feel more covered
wandering into stores and churches and such. It also means you aren't
tied
to the Terry shorts. I find the shebeest brand more comfortable. (This
is
really a YMMV issue...)

I never thought about that!!!......They are really nice and I like the
look of them. Right now I ride around town. In the spring if go into a
store, I will feel better in the short. By Spring I will probably have
more bike clothes because I was definately not appropriately dressed
today. I arrived at the bike paths freezing. The weather said 45.
Thet seemed warm to me. I am not riding long enough or fast enough yet
for 45 degrees and cloudy to be warm. I am going to put up my Christmas
tree. Maybe I will try to dress differently and go out later. My dog
wants to run with me. I can't dissapoint her. :) I'll figure this
clothing issue out eventually.
Maggie
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

> I have my Brand new CatEye Enduro 8
> Cycling Computer / Speedometer / Odometer which I purchased from E-bay
> and have no clue how to use..I have no clue what the heck it is, how to
> use it, or how to put it on my bike...but...I am heading out to try to
> figure it out. (This should be good.) ;-) Have a WONDERFUL day.
> Maggie

Computers often take quite a bit of time figuring out how to install the
first time, and calibration can be a pain in the tail, especially if you
don't have young eyes (they insist on such tiny print for the directions!).
Make sure you don't try to install it just before a ride.

In general, computers are the sort of thing that's often better purchased at
the bike shop, since they'll likely install and calibrate it for a fee
that's quite reasonable (especially since you won't later have to be
shopping for and buying products to combat hair loss)... and they'll even
show you how the darned thing works.

The Enduro 8's a very nice computer, by the way. Very rugged, decent battery
life, and a fairly easy-to-read display. We sell zillions of them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Computers often take quite a bit of time figuring out how to install the
> first time, and calibration can be a pain in the tail, especially if you
> don't have young eyes (they insist on such tiny print for the directions!).

I've installed *a lot* of computers on my and friend and family
members' bikes over the years. I currently have a couple Cateyes
and an Avocet 45, but have experience with quite a few different
brands.

They all IIRC, come with a basic calibration chart for various
wheel sizes, but I can not actually recall how far off these
various "ball park" settings are from the "dialed in" setting for
you and your bike.

Given that distances on just about all cycle computers are now to
two decimal places, I would guess that even the default settings
given for a specified wheel/tire size would be as accurate, if
not more so, than what your car odometer tells you.

Anyone know if that is correct? How far off could you be if you
never bothered to actually sit on the bike at normal pressures
you use, and have some one measure you through a few wheel rolls
to determine the proper calibration for you?

SMH

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have that brand of skort, and it's great for shorter rides. Longer
> rides the skirt part begins to get annoying. Terry also makes just the

skirt
> part that fits great in your jersey pocket.

You can also buy a flippy tennis skirt for a song at Value Village or the
Goodwill, and wear that over your shorts if you would like a modesty panel.
This is much cheaper than a Terry skort.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

> Given that distances on just about all cycle computers are now to
> two decimal places, I would guess that even the default settings
> given for a specified wheel/tire size would be as accurate, if
> not more so, than what your car odometer tells you.
>
> Anyone know if that is correct? How far off could you be if you
> never bothered to actually sit on the bike at normal pressures
> you use, and have some one measure you through a few wheel rolls
> to determine the proper calibration for you?

Many, if not most bike computers seem to have too large a calibration number
for 700x23c tires. When I've done rollouts on Continentals, Bontragers and
Michelins, the numbers I get are invariably at, or close to, 208. Yet the
charts usually show 212. Pretty small difference in the grand scheme of
things... not quite 2%. But why is it off even that much, if I'm not seeing
much variability from brand to brand of tire?

In any event, rollout tests are very easy to do. At the shop, I've marked
off a starting tile along the edge of a carpeted section, and then put 1cm
hash marks from 190-220cm. You start out by looking straight down through
the hub and line up the valve with the starting line, and, with pressure on
the bar, roll it forward until the valve is at the same point again. Then
look at the number and voila! Before I put the marks on the tiles, I used a
couple of pencils, one for the beginning, one for the end, and measured the
distance between.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>Ok...after being painfully educated as to why we should wear bicycle
>shorts, I went to the store to look at them more carefully. Some are
>actually nice looking. I bought something I can't possibly wear right
>now as I would freeze to death...

Do what I do - wear the padded Lycra cycle shorts *underneath* trousers - in my
case, I prefer a pair of RonHill Bikesters as the trouser of choice.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

whinds Dec 12, 9:11 am
Come spring this new outfit will be too big for you Maggie. You will
find the more you ride the less problems you will have with colds etc.
I don't know if the health benefit results are the same riding indoors.

I am hoping that is correct. Since I started riding, I stopped smoking
and I lost weight. Now that is a first. Give up cigarettes and drop
weight. Usually it is a definite gain when the smoking stops. I think
I see the health benefits already....not only physically, but mentally
as well. I feel better emotionally as well. My bad ass temper seems
to be under control since I started riding. I still enjoy happy hour
after work occasionally. I can't become a person with no vices
overnight. If at all.
Maggie In Nutley