Bike Cafe · Public discussion

I Am SO Freaked Out!!!

Started by SierraSlim · · Last activity · 15 posts · 1,010 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
14 January 2011
Last activity
16 January 2011
Original author
SierraSlim
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,010
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey, Y'all.

    This may not be the time or place for this, but I gotta vent. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif[/IMG]

    I just found out about this web site called spokeo.com. It's a new online USA phone book w/ personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, whether you're married, your family's names, your approx credit score, home value, your income, age, your address!! You can try to remove yourself by searching your name, copy the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Be aware that they have you listed with every possible variation of your name -- first and last, first middle and last, first middle initial and last, first and second initial and last, etc. -- and you must remove each one individually.

    I'm not so naive that I don't know our personal information (such as our name and home town) is everywhere on the web. But this site goes further. It lists whether you're married or not, so people know whether you live alone, and how much money it thinks you make! It pointed out, for instance, that my daughter lives alone, in an apartment, listed her address (including the apt number) -- and then listed her income at $160,000 a year!! She makes about 1/5th of that, in actuality -- but do you think the rapists and thieves who read these sites know that? What they DO know now, thanks to this site, is that she is single, lives alone, and (according to the site) is fairly rich. I am just about freaking out for her safety.

    Kidnappers looking at this site now know the name of the mom, dad, and children -- so they can knock on the door in the afternoon after school, before Mom and Dad get home from work, and say, "Jimmy? Your mom Sarah called and asked me to pick you up and take you to her...." etc etc etc.

    Are any of y'all lawyers? Can they do this??? Isn't listing that she lives alone and makes so much money a violation of her privacy in every conceivable way? Other than trying to get off the lists, which we're already doing, is there anything we can do? I'd love to start a class-action lawsuit against places like this.

    Thanks for the ear.

    Sierra -- Who is Now Really Paranoid

  2. I might have to check if there's an Aussie version

  3. What a bunch of [censored]! I'm not even listed. What am I, chopped liver?!

  4. I checked and they do have me listed. However, the address they show me living at is many years out of date and none of the other information is correct, and never was correct. ( I wish I really did make $237K per year )

    I'm surprised that it's legal to post individual information like that....especially if the info isn't valid.

    I know I don't like it.....

  5. Hi Sierra, I just looked myself up, and they do indeed have some information, including my home address. But I know that that's available elsewhere on the net, and I'm also on Facebook which is voluntary. I didn't choose to pay the $3/mo to join, so I don't know what income or other info they have. I do know that some of the info is incomplete. I suggest that you Google spokeo and read some of the articles about it. If we didn't know that the internet has enabled such things, we should now. I understand your concern for your daughter, but I say don't freak out. I'm a guy, that's what we say. How's the riding coming, I've missing seeing your posts. Steve

  6. I certainly don't, Paramount!

    And while they did have my address info wrong on 2 of the accounts they had for me, they had it right on 3 others. (Like you, I wish I made half of what they say I make.) But my biggest issue is that they have my daughter's address and apt number correct, and poimt out that she's living alone. There has GOT to be some way to address that issue. But the way info spreads on the internet, I think we're all doomed for the rapists and thieves to know where we live, how much money we supposedly have, and whether we have anybody living with us or are unprotected and alone. It just makes me crazy.

  7. They got virtually everything about me wrong except my sex and marital status. There are lots of info mining services on the Internet; this one just seems to be one of the less-accurate ones.

  8. They have everything wrong for me except for my name and age range, and my sex. I just hope that my lady friend doesn't look on that site and think that I am married[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]!

  9. You're in trouble now, KD, lol.

    Except for the highly exaggerated income, 3 of the sites on me were totally accurate. But now that I've had a day to calm down and think it over, I guess there's not much to do but shrug it off and be irritated that such sites exist, since there's no way to get rid of them all. My daughter is a mature, intelligent woman, and takes the necessary precautions for living alone. God forbid anything should happen to her..... but if it did, the perpetrator had better hope the law gets to him before her mother does!

  10. Hey, Steve!

    I guess I've stopped freaking out, lol. I'm just old enough and paranoid enough that all my information being 'out there' really bothers me, but as you said, we should know that by now. And I guess I will always worry about my kids, even though they're old enough to start taking care of ME, now, lol. And guys DO always say 'don't freak out', even when it's a time when freaking out should be mandated by law, LOL. But maybe this isn't one of those times, after all.

    I haven't posted much lately because I haven't ridden much lately, with all the rain since November. But I did finish my first 15-miler, as you probably know, and so I'm hyped up again and ready to aim for 20. Unless they've changed the weather forecast AGAIN in the past 20 minutes, we're actually supposed to get 3 or 4 days of sunshine in the next week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and laying out the jerseys, lol. Will let you know when inspiration hits again.

    Have a good one, buddy.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Steve_A [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Hi Sierra, I just looked myself up, and they do indeed have some information, including my home address. But I know that that's available elsewhere on the net, and I'm also on Facebook which is voluntary. I didn't choose to pay the $3/mo to join, so I don't know what income or other info they have. I do know that some of the info is incomplete. I suggest that you Google spokeo and read some of the articles about it. If we didn't know that the internet has enabled such things, we should now. I understand your concern for your daughter, but I say don't freak out. I'm a guy, that's what we say. How's the riding coming, I've missing seeing your posts. Steve

  11. Hi Sierra,

    What they don't report is that we all keep collections of loaded and pointed guns.

    I sleep with doors unlocked, hoping a perp will come in.

    [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif[/IMG]

    kidding,

    not really

    [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

  12. You're my kind of man, Reid. Lol!

    Personally, I keep a taser. And a baseball bat for use until it warms up.

    I grew up in a really rough part of a small town in East Texas over by the Louisiana bayous. When I was about 12, a woman came in on an airplane there, and when walking to her car at the airport she was assaulted by a man and raped. She managed to convince him she had enjoyed herself, and invited him to her house for more -- whereupon she pulled a shotgun out from under the bed, and blew him in half. When the sheriff arrived, he thanked her for saving the taxpayers the cost of doing it, and took the corpse away to be 'found' in an alley the next day. Absolutely true. These days, the ACLU would have her in prison for daring to hurt the poor misunderstood rapist. But she is my kind of woman.

    My favorite woman's self-defense story, though, took place in Flagstaff, AZ in the 80s when I lived there. There was this idiot who dressed himself up as a vampire, waited in the bushes for women to pass by alone at night, then jumped out and bit them before taking their purses. He had successfully robbed several college girls that way. One night he tackled a 70-year-old lady on her way home from bingo -- who took the cane she was walking with and beat the c-r-a-p out of him with it after getting in a lucky first blow to the nether regions. Gossip had it that he wouldn't be fathering any little vampires after she was done with him, either. The best part was the look of utter humiliation on his battered face in the police mug shot. She became a cult hero there.

    Tell you what. Anybody breaks into my house, I'll send them over to yours. I don't want to have to clean up the mess. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

    Sierra

  13. Hi Sierra, I'm glad I didn't offend with by post. I have daughters too and I respect your concern for yours. I just think that we have to view this latest little internet "feature" in context. Anyway, I'm glad that you still stoked about riding, hope you get to do your ride soon. Take care, Steve

  14. Wow - I'm there, in a few places, including two out-of-date addresses. They're all way off on the income, two of them show that I'm married and my wife's name. One of them even has an out-of-date phone number.

  15. Ah, Steve,

    It takes a whole lot more than that to get me offended, despite reports to the contrary, lol. I'm one of those people who takes a while to trust new technology, and in particular the internet, where suddenly it seems the whole world can know every little detail about you, whether you want them to or not! I know that most of the information on these sites is used primarily by people who want to SELL me something, and they're soooooo easy to ignore. But I do get a little more paranoid when I feel like the information given out can be dangerously pertinent. I think that particular paranoia began a few years ago when I saw a news report about a man who liked the appearance of a pretty woman he saw at a stop light. He wrote down her license-plate number, got into the DMV records and got her address, showed up in her bedroom a few nights later, and raped and killed her. After that particular episode, the DMV supposedly got smart and made it impossible for others to get that kind of information from their site, but it's a little late for her and her family! I guess what I need is a guarantee that nothing will ever harm the people I love, and of course I'm not going to get that. But I would at least like to make it a little HARDER for bad people to learn where they live, and that's why such internet sites send me off! There's not anything I can do about that, though, so back to trusting in God to help me get through anything I have to get through, I go.

    And of course I'm still stoked about riding. We were SUPPOSED to get sunshine again today, and so far it's raining and nasty. SIgh.... maybe later in the afternnon. I hope. I'm almost giddy with the possibility now of getting up to 20 miles at a time!

    Hey, Legend, we're all there, I'm afraid. Big Brother is watching. My biggest problem with that is that I think he's a PERV, lol.

    Have a good one, you two.

    Sierra

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.