Road Cycling · Public discussion

I biked over the Brooklyn Bridge!

Started by dgk · · Last activity · 16 posts · 618 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 August 2006
Last activity
23 August 2006
Original author
dgk
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
618
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
    before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
    go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
    so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

    It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
    Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
    day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
    great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
    day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    dgk said:

    Ok, so big deal.

    Yeah, Johnny Weissmuller dived off it in the 1942 flick:
    "Tarzan's New York Adventure." :-)

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along.

    Does that get sketchy in the rain?

    Anyways you have my hat's off to you -- the older I get, the
    more heights bother me, and my dislike of riding over high
    bridges correspondingly increases -- especially when legally
    relegated to the sidewalks of bridges.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- "Jane not worry. Tarzan find Boy."
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  3. "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
    before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
    go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
    so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

    It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
    Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
    day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
    great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
    day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

    That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and been
    more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
    walking?

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  4. On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:20 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
    before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
    go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
    so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

    It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
    Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
    day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
    great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
    day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

    That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and been
    more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
    walking?

    Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
    advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
    a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

    There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
    plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
    them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
    designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
    were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

  5. "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:20 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
    before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
    go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
    so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

    It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
    Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
    day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
    great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
    day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

    That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and
    been
    more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
    walking?

    Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
    advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
    a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

    I lived and worked in NYC for several years and I made damn sure I saw
    everything there was to see there. In fact, the whole time I was in NYC I
    was nothing if not the perennial tourist. Life is very short. I would advise
    you to take in the sights while you still have the energy to do so. I
    played the tourist every weekend and I often took days off from work so I
    could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
    NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

    Quoted message said:

    There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
    plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
    them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
    designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
    were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

    But everything about NYC is a marvel. You need to stoke your imagination
    more. There has never been a city like NYC in the entire history of the
    world. It is privilege for a man of education and culture to live there,
    however briefly.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  6. "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
    advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
    a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.


    Because I don't live in New York, I feel free to play tourist when I'm there
    and have some time away from business. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (I
    don't travel on business with a bicycle) is one of my favorite things. The
    view is terrific. The breeze is refreshing. The people-watching is good. The
    bridge itself is a wonderful marriage of engineering and art.

    And it's free (which many tourist attractions in large cities are not).

  7. "Mike Kruger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    [newsgroups expanded]

    Quoted message said:

    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:20 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
    before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
    go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
    so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

    It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
    Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
    day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
    great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
    thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
    boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
    day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

    That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and
    been
    more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
    walking?

    Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
    advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
    a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

    [Edward Dolan wrote:]

    I lived and worked in NYC for several years and I made damn sure I saw
    everything there was to see there. In fact, the whole time I was in NYC I
    was nothing if not the perennial tourist. Life is very short. I would advise
    you to take in the sights while you still have the energy to do so. I
    played the tourist every weekend and I often took days off from work so I
    could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
    NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

    Quoted message said:

    There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
    plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
    them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
    designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
    were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

    But everything about NYC is a marvel. You need to stoke your imagination
    more. There has never been a city like NYC in the entire history of the
    world. It is privilege for a man of education and culture to live there,
    however briefly.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
    advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
    a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.


    Because I don't live in New York, I feel free to play tourist when I'm
    there and have some time away from business. Walking across the Brooklyn
    Bridge (I don't travel on business with a bicycle) is one of my favorite
    things. The view is terrific. The breeze is refreshing. The
    people-watching is good. The bridge itself is a wonderful marriage of
    engineering and art.

    And it's free (which many tourist attractions in large cities are not).

    And Brooklyn itself is a whole world unto its own. No one, but no one,
    should ever leave New York without a walk along the promenade in Brooklyn
    Heights (not far from the Brooklyn Bridge). This is a world class view and
    one that I did every night when I lived in Brooklyn Heights. When you are
    young at heart and full of the possibilities for romance, it is like being
    in paradise. New York can be a magic city that you fall in love with just as
    much as any young person can fall in love with Paris.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  8. On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:11:15 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
    NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

    Oh Ed, you almost made it through an entire thread without being
    nasty.

  9. Edward Dolan said:


    played the tourist every weekend and I often took days off from work so I
    could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them!

    I agree with that philosophy!

  10. "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:11:15 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be
    in
    NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

    Oh Ed, you almost made it through an entire thread without being
    nasty.

    It is what is known as a zinger and I am famous (or maybe notorious) for it.
    How else do you make idiots sit up and take notice of what you say if you
    don't throw a couple of insults their way. Not only that, but it helps them
    remember what was said as well as who said it and maybe they can learn
    something from it.

    My signature serves the same function. I want to be taken note of and
    remembered. Your 'dgk' is pitiful. If you want to be that anonymous, why not
    just crawl away and die under some bridge, maybe the Brooklyn Bridge!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  11. I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
    sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
    the goddamned tourists in the world. But of course, bikes would never
    be able to get anywhere otherwise.

    Still, it sucks not being able to enjoy the view in peace, having to
    watch out for this and that. I wonder if another pathway couldn't be
    added somehow...?? I wonder if it's even physically possible, from a
    civil engineering perspective, or practical....

  12. NYC XYZ said:

    I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
    sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
    the goddamned tourists in the world. But of course, bikes would never
    be able to get anywhere otherwise.

    Still, it sucks not being able to enjoy the view in peace, having to
    watch out for this and that. I wonder if another pathway couldn't be
    added somehow...?? I wonder if it's even physically possible, from a
    civil engineering perspective, or practical....

    Ideally, a car lane would be co-opted for bikes and peds could
    have the whole walkway to themselves. Don't hold your breath
    though. Maybe after congestion pricing is implemented....

    (In the meantime, the Manhattan Bridge is a much less crowded
    alternative for cyclists.)

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email hidden]
    Brooklyn, NY

  13. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
    sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
    the goddamned tourists in the world.

    Unless you sold it for twenty-four bucks, you're one of the Goddamned
    tourists yourself.

  14. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    How am I a tourist in my own City?

    It was Manhattan Island that was bought for $24, you goddamned tourist.

    My ancestors arrived in 1628. And you're absolutely right, I'm a goddamned
    tourist.

    Just like you are.

  15. Ah, my faithful e-shadow.

    Tell me, my little butt-hole: how's the weather where the sun don't
    shine?

    R Brickston said:

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    TROLL-O-METER

  16. What? I thought I told you to find a knife and make love to it!
    What're you still doing here??

    That's a New Yawk tourist tradition, man. You ain't seen nothing if
    you haven't seen midnight in the sun. Enjoy, ya GOD-DAMNED TOURIST!

    Roger Houston said:

    My ancestors arrived in 1628. And you're absolutely right, I'm a goddamned
    tourist.

    Just like you are.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.