Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

I did it for you Bleve... ;-P

Started by Travis · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,116 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
20 March 2006
Last activity
23 March 2006
Original author
Travis
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,116
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
    price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
    costs and was able to take it home straight away.

    Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
    almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
    on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

    When the supply of 9sp ultegra bits runs out maybe I'll upgrade to a
    10sp with some of the half price boxed and unused components that go
    all the time on ebay, or bit the bullet and buy them at recommended
    retail.

    In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
    bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
    now officially over.

    :-)

    Travis

  2. Travis said:

    In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
    price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
    costs and was able to take it home straight away.

    Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
    almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
    on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

    When the supply of 9sp ultegra bits runs out maybe I'll upgrade to a
    10sp with some of the half price boxed and unused components that go
    all the time on ebay, or bit the bullet and buy them at recommended
    retail.

    In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
    bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
    now officially over.

    :-)

    Travis


    Hopefully you did it more for yourself, than for Bleve 😉 Congrats, and hope you enjoy your ride(s)

    Ash

  3. Travis:

    Quoted message said:

    the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are now officially over.

    I'm just waiting for the discussions on shoes, pedals, helmets, knicks,
    lights, energy bars...!
    ;-)

    Donga

  4. [PHP][/PHP]

    Travis said:

    I got it for $1,400

    [PHP][/PHP]

    Thats great news Travis - enjoy the new rig. Nothing wrong with 9 sp ultegra thats for sure.

    And the best part (for you at least - read on- ), is you still have $1600 left in the official treasury / credit department approved budget (you didn't tell her what you paid for it did you?😄 😄 ).

    So now I expect we have to deal with a stack of posts on which are the best / are these good value race wheels / helmets / sunglasses / tri-bars / shoes / biddons / pedals😄 😄 Ah fug it - buy some shares hey?

  5. Travis said:

    In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
    price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
    costs and was able to take it home straight away.

    Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
    almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
    on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

    When the supply of 9sp ultegra bits runs out maybe I'll upgrade to a
    10sp with some of the half price boxed and unused components that go
    all the time on ebay, or bit the bullet and buy them at recommended
    retail.

    In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
    bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
    now officially over.

    :-)

    Travis

    Congratulations Travis! Enjoy your new ride. 🙂

  6. Travis said:

    In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
    bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
    now officially over.

    woo hoo!

  7. Travis said:

    In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
    price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
    costs and was able to take it home straight away.

    Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
    almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
    on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

    At last!!!

    🙂

    I was in the same situation as you last year (with a much smaller
    budget). I was waiting for the right bike to appear second hand as I
    couldn't afford to fork out $2000 for a new road bike. I ended up
    getting mine second hand via Ebay (sort of, I contacted the seller off
    list when the bike didn't attract a single bid).

    What are you using for shoes and pedals?

    Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
    you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
    before riding on the road!

    I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
    realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

    Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!

  8. petulance said:

    What are you using for shoes and pedals?

    Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
    type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
    ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
    shoes.

    Quoted message said:


    Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
    you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
    before riding on the road!

    I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)

    Quoted message said:


    I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
    realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

    I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.

    Quoted message said:

    Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!

    Gee, why didn't I think of that? See, its handy practical advice like
    this that keeps me coming back to aus.bicycles. ;-)

    Travis

  9. Donga said:

    Travis:

    Quoted message said:

    the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are now officially over.

    I'm just waiting for the discussions on shoes, pedals, helmets, knicks,
    lights, energy bars...!
    ;-)

    No doubt Bleve will be happy to know that I already own most of that
    stuff.

    Travis

  10. Travis said:
    petulance said:

    What are you using for shoes and pedals?

    Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
    type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
    ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
    shoes.

    Quoted message said:

    Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
    you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
    before riding on the road!

    I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
    realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

    I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.

    Quoted message said:

    Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!

    Gee, why didn't I think of that? See, its handy practical advice like
    this that keeps me coming back to aus.bicycles. ;-)

    Travis

    If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, you
    will need some Look cleats, these come in Red (these have 'float' that
    allow some side to side movement of your heel, 9 degrees I think) and
    Black (these have no float), it is a personal thing but I would get the
    Red cleats. Check the shoes are Look compatible.

    jh

  11. jh:

    Quoted message said:

    If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, ...

    ....or seeing as you are using the bike for commuting, dump the Looks
    and get some pedals designed for easy walking on the cleats. Good
    examples are Crank Bros and SPD originals and clones. Looks are
    horrible for walking on. Also they are not too easy to clip into, as
    the pedal can tend to tip upside down.

    Donga

  12. Travis said:

    In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same

    🙂 Cool. That's the same as my bike. And I'm in Perth too. Haven't seen
    another so far, even after a close look during the freeway bike hike.
    It's a good bike, no complaints.

    --
    ..dt

  13. Travis said:
    petulance said:

    What are you using for shoes and pedals?

    Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
    type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
    ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
    shoes.

    Quoted message said:


    Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
    you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
    before riding on the road!

    I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)

    The golden rule is "clip out early and often". It's not mandatory to
    have a cleat incident, but it's far more common than it needs to be.
    Think ahead - and soon enough it'll just be a reflex. I get funny
    looks when I testride bikes at the LBS I work at, as I always flick my
    ankle out, even on platform pedals. Not a bad habit to have, I think.
    If you think you might have to unclip, unclip, but keep your foot on
    the pedal so you can clip in again quickly by just rolling forwards 🙂

  14. On 2006-03-20, monsterman (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    PHP code:
    --------------------

    --------------------

    Travis said:

    I got it for $1,400


    PHP code:
    --------------------

    --------------------

    Thats great news Travis - enjoy the new rig. Nothing wrong with 9 sp
    ultegra thats for sure.

    And the best part (for you at least - read on- ), is you still have
    $1600 left in the official treasury / credit department approved budget
    (you didn't tell her what you paid for it did you?😄 😄 ).

    Nah. He can invest it and double what he can spend on the best / good
    value race wheels / helmets / sunglasses / tri-bars / shoes / biddons
    / pedals in a few years.

    Hey, siggy picked an investing quote 🙂

    --
    TimC
    Our goverment "invests" in roads, but "subsidises" public transport.
    -- Peter Corlett (UK)

  15. Travis said:

    In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
    Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
    of second hand bikes in my size.

    Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
    went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
    blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
    dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
    he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
    price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
    costs and was able to take it home straight away.

    With this bike (it's the alloy lugged Carbon Fibre tube one?) have a
    close look at two things (and get the original purchaser's receipt.
    Trek won't check all that closely if you have the original invoice).
    Check that the alloy/carbon joins are not unbonded. You can do this by
    putting the bike on a sturdy stand, hanging from the top tube, and
    pushing down on a pedal while holding your finger/thumb over the
    junction, feeling for any movement. There should be none. If there's
    any, the frame is unbonding and Trek will probably replace it with a
    new one *if* you have the original receipt. We have an old 2300 in the
    shop at the moment with this problem. I think the 2300 went through a
    number of forms so this may not be the same bike though.

    Also check for water in the bottom bracket shell. Or, when you take it
    to your LBS to get fitted for you and checked out, make sure they check
    that. Trek don't have a drain hole and the frame can suffer from water
    ingress, which isn't a huge problem, but can cause corrosion of metal
    parts that are exposed to the water but invisable to the eye (BB,
    mainly).

  16. In aus.bicycle on 20 Mar 2006 15:12:18 -0800

    Travis said:
    Quoted message said:


    I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
    realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

    I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.

    Clip out in plenty of time. You can do it with a small enough
    movement that no one will notice....

    It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
    twice.

    Zebee

  17. Zebee Johnstone said:


    It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
    twice.

    Isn't that a track stand 😉

  18. In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:34:50 +1100

    sinus said:


    Zebee Johnstone said:


    It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
    twice.

    Isn't that a track stand 😉

    You mean a track sit? 🙂

    Zebee

  19. Donga said:

    jh:

    Quoted message said:

    If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, ...

    ...or seeing as you are using the bike for commuting, dump the Looks
    and get some pedals designed for easy walking on the cleats.

    I went to the LBS today to try on some shoes. They didn't have them in
    my size, but I did walk around a bit in ones which were one size too
    small and it wasn't unendurable considering that I've only got to walk
    a very short distance with my bike shoes.

    So I rode to work today wearing ordinary sneakers and pedaling with the
    back of the pedals. While it wasn't particularly comfortable, I felt
    pressure on the arches of my feet where I don't normally feel pressure,
    it was ok. I'll keep riding this way until Saturday when I'm going in
    to the shop to pick up my shoes and drop the bike in for a service.

    Travis

  20. On 2006-03-21, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:34:50 +1100

    sinus said:


    Zebee Johnstone said:


    It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
    twice.

    Isn't that a track stand 😉

    You mean a track sit? 🙂

    I prefer the track lay down 🙂

    --
    TimC

    Quoted message said:

    As you know, Linus took the word the penguins kept saying over and
    over again, rot13'ed it, and used that as the name of his OS.


    So, who's going to record this .au file:
    "Hello, my name is Yvahf Gbeinyqf, and I pronounce yvahk, yvahk."
    -- Anthony de Boer && Michel Buijsman in ASR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.