General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I did my 4km swim....

Started by Micheal Artindale · · Last activity · 20 posts · 673 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 August 2005
Last activity
9 August 2005
Original author
Micheal Artindale
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
673
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Aug 1 I did the 4km swim I said I was going to do.

    I had the safety boat. Unfortunately the electric engine wasnt going to
    work, so they ran it at low speed and in nutral.

    The first kilometre was nice. The second and third were ok. The last 500m
    was hard. I was almost at the point that I did want to quit.

    I finished it in 2hrs 43mins 05 sec. Not good, but, I did it.

    In a month, I will attempt 8 km.........

    Micheal

  2. Micheal Artindale said:

    On Aug 1 I did the 4km swim I said I was going to do.

    I had the safety boat. Unfortunately the electric engine wasnt going to
    work, so they ran it at low speed and in nutral.

    The first kilometre was nice. The second and third were ok. The last 500m
    was hard. I was almost at the point that I did want to quit.

    I finished it in 2hrs 43mins 05 sec. Not good, but, I did it.

    In a month, I will attempt 8 km.........

    Micheal

    That's pretty good. I've worked my way up to 4 km but that's in a heated
    25 metre pool.

    Zoom

  3. "Zoom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Micheal Artindale said:

    On Aug 1 I did the 4km swim I said I was going to do.

    I had the safety boat. Unfortunately the electric engine wasnt going to
    work, so they ran it at low speed and in nutral.

    The first kilometre was nice. The second and third were ok. The last 500m
    was hard. I was almost at the point that I did want to quit.

    I finished it in 2hrs 43mins 05 sec. Not good, but, I did it.

    In a month, I will attempt 8 km.........

    Micheal

    That's pretty good.

    Is it? I should be proud of myself, then:
    I do every day of six days a week 2 km. in a 50 mtrs pool in exactly 76 min,
    plus or minus 2 mins.
    Juan
    PS: I almost forgot: I am 75 years old

    Quoted message said:

    I've worked my way up to 4 km but that's in a heated 25 metre pool.

    Zoom

  4. Juan Moreira said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's pretty good.

    Is it? I should be proud of myself, then:
    I do every day of six days a week 2 km. in a 50 mtrs pool in exactly 76 min,
    plus or minus 2 mins.
    Juan
    PS: I almost forgot: I am 75 years old

    Well, if we're really going to have a pissing contest here, on Monday my
    time for 2 km. in a 50 meters pool was 44 minutes and I'm your age.

    Ruth Kazez

  5. Ruth:

    44 minutes for 2km at 75 is outstanding. Congrats! By the way, I still
    want some of that delicious food that you posted in your website for
    the birthday party.

    My dad is 85 and I take him swimming 2 to 3 times a week. He swims
    500yds in about 35 minutes on his back with his arms next to his torso
    and just flutter kicking. They know him in the pool as the man that
    swims with his feet. He used to have a good crawl too. When he was
    young, he used to swim close to 1 minute in the 100. He said that he
    learned from a correspondence course from Johnny weismuller. He told me
    he learned on a bench with his arms spinning in circles straight down.
    He was a fast stroker and fast kicker. When he is done swimming he
    watches me swim. I am a slow stroker, fq, two beat kicker. He tells me
    that I have a good stroke but that he is going to show me how to swim
    faster and better, and he tells me about his technique.

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    Andres

    rtk said:
    Juan Moreira said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's pretty good.

    Is it? I should be proud of myself, then:
    I do every day of six days a week 2 km. in a 50 mtrs pool in exactly 76 min,
    plus or minus 2 mins.
    Juan
    PS: I almost forgot: I am 75 years old

    Well, if we're really going to have a pissing contest here, on Monday my
    time for 2 km. in a 50 meters pool was 44 minutes and I'm your age.

    Ruth Kazez

  6. Ruth:

    44 minutes for 2km at 75 is outstanding. Congrats! By the way, I still
    want some of that delicious food that you posted in your website for
    the birthday party.

    My dad is 85 and I take him swimming 2 to 3 times a week. He swims
    500yds in about 35 minutes on his back with his arms next to his torso
    and just flutter kicking. They know him in the pool as the man that
    swims with his feet. He used to have a good crawl too. When he was
    young, he used to swim close to 1 minute in the 100. He said that he
    learned from a correspondence course from Johnny weismuller. He told me
    he learned on a bench with his arms spinning in circles straight down.
    He was a fast stroker and fast kicker. When he is done swimming he
    watches me swim. I am a slow stroker, fq, two beat kicker. He tells me
    that I have a good stroke but that he is going to show me how to swim
    faster and better, and he tells me about his technique.

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    Andres

    rtk said:
    Juan Moreira said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's pretty good.

    Is it? I should be proud of myself, then:
    I do every day of six days a week 2 km. in a 50 mtrs pool in exactly 76 min,
    plus or minus 2 mins.
    Juan
    PS: I almost forgot: I am 75 years old

    Well, if we're really going to have a pissing contest here, on Monday my
    time for 2 km. in a 50 meters pool was 44 minutes and I'm your age.

    Ruth Kazez

  7. Quoted message said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur,
    wannabe painter.
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    IMHO, I like El Paso Cyclist best,
    and the Sex 2003 group and the
    Triathlete, too.

    Some others are also very good, but
    I don't like the ones like the
    Women collection and the second of
    the Cyclists collection, where you
    can see a very recognizable outline
    within all the wild lines and curves.
    Those familiar forms makes the rest
    seem forced/extraneous.

    I'll have to show these to my wife,
    who is a painter.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    Those are good. They remind me of Frida Kahlo and Picasso.

  9. Hey, Donal and Martin! Thanks for the compliments. I have some new
    ones, but I need to take pictures and post them. My favorite is of my
    grandsona and me riding. Two of my dogs had taken off and we went
    riding around the neighborhood to look for them. We found them cruising
    as happy as every. I am honored that I remind Martin of Frida and
    Picasso, but I don't think that neither of them deserve their work to
    be compared with mine.

    Andres

  10. Hey, Donal and Martin! Thanks for the compliments. I have some new
    ones, but I need to take pictures and post them. My favorite is of my
    grandsona and me riding. Two of my dogs had taken off and we went
    riding around the neighborhood to look for them. We found them cruising
    as happy as every. I am honored that I remind Martin of Frida and
    Picasso, but I don't think that neither of them deserve their work to
    be compared with mine.

    Andres

  11. BW, the women came from a sports illustrated almanac that I bought at
    Barnes and Noble so that I could get contours of women posing. Later, I
    found the almanac hanging from my teenager step sons room.

    Andres

  12. BW, the women came from a sports illustrated almanac that I bought at
    Barnes and Noble so that I could get contours of women posing. Later, I
    found the almanac hanging from my teenager step sons room.

    Andres

  13. Quoted post said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    Pretty good stuff!

  14. Quoted post said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    Pretty good stuff!

  15. Quoted message said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    I'm impressed, especially about the war series. Have you seen the book
    Palestine by Sacco? I think you'd like it. Also Spiegelman's Maus?
    Not because they're illustrators, but because of how they use it with
    the particular approach they have to political stuff. (Opposite
    positions, by the way.)

    Ruth K

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, rtk <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Well, if we're really going to have a pissing contest here, on Monday my
    time for 2 km. in a 50 meters pool was 44 minutes and I'm your age.

    Ruth Kazez

    Lessee..... Qualifying times for the 1500m at this summer's USMS LC
    Nationals would be

    75-79 Male 32:44.70
    75-79 Female 39:32.79

    (If you scale those times up to 2000m, you'll notice that Ruth really is
    an elite swimmer in her age group.)

    But of course, not everybody is elite. You don't need to qualify for
    Nationals to be considered a good swimmer. :-)

    Ross

  17. Ross Bogue said:


    (If you scale those times up to 2000m, you'll notice that Ruth really is
    an elite swimmer in her age group.)


    I could easily qualify in the men's division. But then there's that
    quandary, to speedo or not to speedo. Nah, I'll stay with the women and
    not have to deal with the fig leaf problems. We're not so coy.
    WYSIWYdon'tG.

    Ruth

  18. Thanks Ruth! I just ordered two of the Sacco books, Palestine and one
    about Bosnia.

    Andres

    rtk said:
    Quoted message said:

    BTW, I am sort of an amateur, wannabe painter. Here is my website:
    www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html

    I'm impressed, especially about the war series. Have you seen the book
    Palestine by Sacco? I think you'd like it. Also Spiegelman's Maus?
    Not because they're illustrators, but because of how they use it with
    the particular approach they have to political stuff. (Opposite
    positions, by the way.)

    Ruth K

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ross Bogue said:

    Lessee..... Qualifying times for the 1500m at this summer's USMS LC
    Nationals would be

    75-79 Male 32:44.70
    75-79 Female 39:32.79

    Hey! An even MORE realistic swimming goal, not requiring a time machine!
    All I have to do is wait a few decades -- without aging, I guess, so
    that my swim times don't increase; then I'll be National quality!

    And if I get impatient, I can be a quality swimmer earlier,
    just by switching genders.

    Boy, this creative goal-setting is a lot easier than
    actually getting into the water to practice.

    dave

    (My 1500 speed / age is .0000018 meters per square minute . How's that?)

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ross Bogue said:

    Lessee..... Qualifying times for the 1500m at this summer's USMS LC
    Nationals would be

    75-79 Male 32:44.70
    75-79 Female 39:32.79

    Hey! An even MORE realistic swimming goal, not requiring a time machine!
    All I have to do is wait a few decades -- without aging, I guess, so
    that my swim times don't increase; then I'll be National quality!

    And if I get impatient, I can be a quality swimmer earlier,
    just by switching genders.

    Boy, this creative goal-setting is a lot easier than
    actually getting into the water to practice.

    dave

    (My 1500 speed / age is .0000018 meters per square minute . How's that?)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.