Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

I don't know what to call this.

Started by Hobbes@spnb&s.com · · Last activity · 30 posts · 358 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 September 2007
Last activity
22 September 2007
Original author
Hobbes@spnb&s.com
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
358
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

  2. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Dear Hobbes,

    Thank you very much!

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  3. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:


    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    The manufacturers decided "Cruzbike" was a catchier name than "I Can't
    Believe It's Not A Back-Alley Abortion!"

    http://cruzbike.com/

    Chalo

  4. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Needs these tho

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/eurobike077/Crank_Brothers_Cobalt_rear_wheel

  5. Chalo said:
    Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    The manufacturers decided "Cruzbike" was a catchier name than "I Can't
    Believe It's Not A Back-Alley Abortion!"

    That [censored]'s a ripoff, they whip it with air so you think you're
    getting more.

  6. Chalo said:


    The manufacturers decided "Cruzbike" was a catchier name than "I Can't
    Believe It's Not A Back-Alley Abortion!"

    http://cruzbike.com/

    I don't own one, but it IS the least-expensive fully-suspended recumbent
    available. $400 plus a suitable MTB, most others are well over twice that.

    I find that SWB's sit too high off the ground for my tastes, but if I
    had a lot of dirt roads to ride, I'd sure consider it.
    ~

  7. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:


    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    I'd call it the worst of all worlds.

  8. "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Needs these tho

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/eurobike077/Crank_Brothers_Cobalt_rear_wheel

    What is your fixation with the Crank Brothers wheels?

    Your main argument was that companies should stick with what they know and
    that Crank Brother should have continued to just make pedals. The problem
    with this theory is that their first product was a tire lever. If they
    didn't go into different products they never would have developed the
    pedals.

  9. Hobbes who? writes:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    I know what to call it:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    There have been a few of these.

    Jobst Brandt

  10. landotter said:


    Chalo said:


    The manufacturers decided "Cruzbike" was a catchier name than "I Can't
    Believe It's Not A Back-Alley Abortion!"

    That [censored]'s a ripoff, they whip it with air so you think you're
    getting more.

    Actually they use nitrogen so it doesn't instantly go rancid. I think
    the bike went rancid, though.

    Chalo

  11. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Looks like a good pick.

  12. Quoted message said:

    Hobbes who? writes:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    I know what to call it:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    There have been a few of these.

    Jobst Brandt

    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel drive
    on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's almost
    impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's unstable.

  13. Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    "Federal Health Adivsory: Prolonged cell phone use may damage your
    DNA"

    --D-y

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hobbes who? writes:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.


    I know what to call it:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    There have been a few of these.

    Jobst Brandt

    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel drive
    on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's almost
    impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's unstable.

    I've never heard this, and haven't heard it from any Cruzbike owners.

    It's noted that the drive setup which the Cruzbike uses can cause a bit
    of "wandering" left and right with pedaling, but nothing more. Riding
    no-handed is not just possible--it's almost always possible, because you
    can steer with your legs.

    Cruzbike did not invent the drive setup, home-builders had been doing it
    for a very long time--particularly with lowracers, but with bikes of all
    types.
    ~

  15. Petey Mills said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know what to call it:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There have been a few of these.

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel
    drive on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's
    almost impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's
    unstable.

    I think you got that wrong. On that bais the Megola motorcycle would
    not have been radily rideable.

    http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/megola.htm

    Jobst Brandt

  16. Petey Mills said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know what to call it:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There have been a few of these.

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel
    drive on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's
    almost impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's
    unstable.

    I think you got that wrong. On that basis the Megola motorcycle would
    not have been readily ridable.

    http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/megola.htm

    Jobst Brandt

  17. Frank Drackman said:

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    messagenews:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Hobbes@spnb&s.com said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Quoted message said:

    Needs these tho

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/index.ph...

    What is your fixation with the Crank Brothers wheels?

    Your main argument was that companies should stick with what they know and
    that Crank Brother should have continued to just make pedals. The problem
    with this theory is that their first product was a tire lever. If they
    didn't go into different products they never would have developed the
    pedals.

    What is your fixation with my fixation?
    Try not to lose yer sense of humor here....talking about toys
    afterall.

    Buy some of these wheels..tell us what ya think.

  18. "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Frank Drackman said:

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    messagenews:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sep 17, 9:16 pm, Hobbes@spnb&s.com wrote:
    >http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    > I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    Quoted message said:

    Needs these tho

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/eurobike07/index.ph...

    What is your fixation with the Crank Brothers wheels?

    Your main argument was that companies should stick with what they know
    and
    that Crank Brother should have continued to just make pedals. The
    problem
    with this theory is that their first product was a tire lever. If they
    didn't go into different products they never would have developed the
    pedals.

    What is your fixation with my fixation?
    Try not to lose yer sense of humor here....talking about toys
    afterall.

    Buy some of these wheels..tell us what ya think.

    I am waiting for them to come out in yellow!

    Quoted message said:
  19. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hobbes who? writes:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.

    I know what to call it:

    Front wheel drive recumbent.

    There have been a few of these.

    Jobst Brandt

    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel drive
    on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's almost
    impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's unstable.

    Dear Pete,

    Sorry . . .

    But it's so easy to ride fixed-gear bicycles backward that German and
    Asian high-school students do it just to make me grit my teeth.

    Here's one particularly annoying female:

    http://www.glumbert.com/media/bikerobatics

    She starts riding her fixie backwards on two wheels about the middle
    of the clip, after already riding it backwards no-hands on one wheel
    using only one foot to pedal. They call it "artistic cycling," if you
    want to see more of it. I call it--

    Er, never mind.

    Anyway, those kids can ride fixies backward and upside down and just
    about anything else that occurs to you.

    As for front wheel-drive recumbents, just google for "front wheel
    drive" and recumbent, and you'll get over 25,000 hits:

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%22front+wheel+drive%22+recumbent&hl=en&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

    Here's a page for such odd beasts:

    http://traylorfwd.home.mindspring.com/fwd.html

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  20. Quoted message said:
    Petey Mills said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/124931/size/big/cat/594
    > I'm sorry, I just had to show this to someone else.
    I know what to call it:
    Front wheel drive recumbent.
    There have been a few of these.


    I seem to remember reading in Bicycling Science that front-wheel
    drive on a bicycle doesn't work--for the same reason that it's
    almost impossible to pedal a fixed gear bicycle backwards--it's
    unstable.

    I think you got that wrong. On that basis the Megola motorcycle would
    not have been readily ridable.

    http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/megola.htm

    Jobst Brandt

    Interesting. Seems that there are quite a few of these things out
    there:
    http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/psychology/bok/fwd.html
    http://traylorfwd.home.mindspring.com/fwd.html
    http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/tony/
    http://bike-recumbent.com/fwd1.shtml

    Now that I recall, it wasn't front-wheel drive they were objecting to,
    it was rear-wheel steering:
    http://wannee.nl/hpv/abt/e-index.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_dynamics#Rear-wheel_steering

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.