UK and Europe · Public discussion

I don't need this pressure on

Started by Doctor J. Frink · · Last activity · 10 posts · 515 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 June 2004
Last activity
23 June 2004
Original author
Doctor J. Frink
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
515
Views / 30 days
7
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my hybrid
    I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to make sure
    the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put her rears up
    to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi at the front.
    With the fat tyres and suspension forks she hasn't noticed
    anything untoward.

    I've also ramped up my hybrid 700c tyres a bit as well to
    80psi rear (85 max rated) and 70psi front. It's definitely a
    'bouncier' ride, but only really noticable when on rougher
    ground (stony, pot-holy tracks to birding sites).

    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too low or
    is it personal preference above a certain minimum? How much
    should they come down (%age) when going 'off road'? From
    reading around it seems higher is generally faster but I've
    had a hard time finding any figures.

    Cheers, Frink

    --
    Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail' See his mind
    here : cmp.liv.ac.ukfrink Annoy his mind here :
    pjf at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook "No sir, I didn't like
    it!" - Mr Horse

  2. Doctor J. Frink said:

    Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my
    hybrid I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to
    make sure the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put
    her rears up to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi at
    the front. With the fat tyres and suspension forks she
    hasn't noticed anything untoward.

    I've also ramped up my hybrid 700c tyres a bit as well to
    80psi rear (85 max rated) and 70psi front. It's definitely
    a 'bouncier' ride, but only really noticable when on
    rougher ground (stony, pot-holy tracks to birding sites).

    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too low
    or is it personal preference above a certain minimum? How
    much should they come down (%age) when going 'off road'?
    From reading around it seems higher is generally faster
    but I've had a hard time finding any figures.

    Swap the MTB tyres to slicks or semi slicks if you haven't
    already. Makes much more difference than trying to run
    knobblies at silly pressures.

  3. in message <[email hidden]>, Doctor J. Frink

    (') said:

    Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my
    hybrid I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to
    make sure the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put
    her rears up to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi at
    the front. With the fat tyres and suspension forks she
    hasn't noticed anything untoward.

    I've also ramped up my hybrid 700c tyres a bit as well to
    80psi rear (85 max rated) and 70psi front. It's definitely
    a 'bouncier' ride, but only really noticable when on
    rougher ground (stony, pot-holy tracks to birding sites).

    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too low
    or is it personal preference above a certain minimum? How
    much should they come down (%age) when going 'off road'?
    From reading around it seems higher is generally faster
    but I've had a hard time finding any figures.

    Some mountain biking people run their tyres quite soft -
    30psi or even less. But I think these are mainly people
    who are using their bikes for quite short blasts around
    woodland. There's no doubt that softer tyres can help with
    traction on very soft or loose going, but in general the
    harder the tyres the lower the rolling resistance and for
    off-road cross-country stuff I tend to aim for 50-55psi.
    On my road bike I run at 110psi but that's on little
    skinny tyres.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke)
    jasmine.org.uk~simon

    ;; Want to know what SCO stands for? ;;
    ars.userfriendly.orgcartoons

  4. Doki said:


    Doctor J. Frink said:

    Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my
    hybrid I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to
    make sure the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put
    her rears up to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi
    at the front. With the fat tyres and suspension forks she
    hasn't noticed anything untoward.

    Swap the MTB tyres to slicks or semi slicks if you haven't
    already. Makes much more difference than trying to run
    knobblies at silly pressures.

    That's Step 2.

    The appeal of higher pressures (amongst other low-cost
    resistance reducing efforts such as eliminating brakes
    catching on rims, lubrication etc) is that it costs nothing
    but quite literally fresh air ;0). Also reduces flats,
    allegedly.

    Step 3 (or maybe 1b) is to get GF pedalling faster and
    braking less. Easier said than done.

    Frink

    --
    Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail' See his mind
    here : cmp.liv.ac.ukfrink Annoy his mind here :
    pjf at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook "No sir, I didn't like
    it!" - Mr Horse

  5. Doctor J. Frink said:

    Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my
    hybrid I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to
    make sure the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put
    her rears up to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi at
    the front. With the fat tyres and suspension forks she
    hasn't noticed anything untoward.

    I've also ramped up my hybrid 700c tyres a bit as well to
    80psi rear (85 max rated) and 70psi front. It's definitely
    a 'bouncier' ride, but only really noticable when on
    rougher ground (stony, pot-holy tracks to birding sites).

    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too low
    or is it personal preference above a certain minimum? How
    much should they come down (%age) when going 'off road'?
    From reading around it seems higher is generally faster
    but I've had a hard time finding any figures.

    You can pump them up to the max pressure marked on the
    tyre. But have you considered the option of slowing down to
    cycle with your gf? It can be very dispiriting and off-
    putting to have someone racing away all the time and
    telling you to go faster. Togetherness is riding at the
    slowest person's speed.

    Tony

  6. Doctor J. Frink said:


    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too low
    or is it personal preference above a certain minimum?

    I generally run at or near maximum stated as that gives
    lower rolling resistance. This probably bites me a little
    on technical stuff on the MTB, as does keeping the saddle
    set high, but I'm generally covering ground rather than
    especially fiddly things and I'm so used to high pressure
    tyres that floppy balloons annoy me a lot where they're
    not useful.

    Quoted message said:

    How much should they come down (%age) when going
    'off road'?

    It'll depend on the sort of off-road. Work it empirically:
    try not letting any out, and see how you get on; should be
    okay as long as you're not Going For It. I've never felt
    any real need to let down the MTB tyres, so haven't. If the
    'bent or Brompton goes onto a forest track for a while it's
    a bit silly as with 100 psi the bike tends to jump sideways
    and ping wee stones out of its way a fair bit. Any more
    than a few miles of that and I'd think very hard about
    letting a bit out.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  7. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But have you considered the option of slowing down to
    cycle with your gf? It can be very dispiriting and off-
    putting to have someone racing away all the time and
    telling you to go faster. Togetherness is riding at the


    slowest

    Quoted message said:

    person's speed.

    And Tony also knows the answer to this - get a tandem!

    cheers, clive

  8. Tony Raven said:
    Doctor J. Frink said:

    Hullo,

    In an attempt to get the gf's MTB to keep up with my
    hybrid I've been pumping up tyres to higher pressures to
    make sure the rolling resistance is at minimum. I've put
    her rears up to 65psi (max stated on the rim) and 60psi
    at the front. With the fat tyres and suspension forks she
    hasn't noticed anything untoward.

    You can pump them up to the max pressure marked on the
    tyre. But have you considered the option of slowing down to
    cycle with your gf? It can be very dispiriting and off-
    putting to have someone racing away all the time and
    telling you to go faster. Togetherness is riding at the
    slowest person's speed.

    This is exactly what I do. She goes in front, I tail her
    rear wheel. It was mostly the difference in freewheeling
    downhill; I'm hard on the brakes trying not to whizz past.

    Frink

    --
    Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail' See his mind
    here : cmp.liv.ac.ukfrink Annoy his mind here :
    pjf at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook "No sir, I didn't like
    it!" - Mr Horse

  9. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doctor J. Frink said:


    What's the line on tyre pressures? Am I too high, too
    low or is it personal preference above a certain
    minimum?

    I generally run at or near maximum stated as that gives
    lower rolling resistance. This probably bites me a little
    on technical stuff on the MTB, as does keeping the saddle
    set high, but I'm generally covering ground rather than
    especially fiddly things and I'm so used to high pressure
    tyres that floppy balloons annoy me a lot where they're
    not useful.

    I find one of the biggest benefits of full suspension on
    VTTs is being able to run realistic tyre pressures because
    the tyre is no longer responsible for doing the ride
    cushioning as well as supplying the traction.

    Since going full-sus I am able to run the same kinds of
    tyres about 10 or 15 psi higher for the same comfort and a
    lot fewer pinch flats but with better steering.

    Bike's even more difficult to carry though :-(
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  10. Doctor J. Frink said:

    This is exactly what I do. She goes in front, I tail her
    rear wheel. It was mostly the difference in freewheeling
    downhill; I'm hard on the brakes trying not to whizz past.

    Slicks should really help here. Not only can you roll quite
    a bit faster but you actually get more effective control
    (and feel of control
    IME) for cornering and the like because you've got
    continuous contact rather than a succession of
    distinct knobs. With more control, less feeling of a
    need to brake.

    Mt MTB has big knobblies on which are great on soft stuff
    but they're a total PITA on the road, making riding harder,
    slower and noisier than I'm used to.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.