I don't want to get diabetes and I need to loose weight- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Rick Johnston, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. I am a 33 year old male who is 75 lbs. overweight. Between the ages of 37-40, my brother and father
    were both diagnosed with type II diabetes. At the time of their diagnosis, both were overweight
    also. Bottom line... I DON'T want to get diabetes and my risk is greatly reduced if I shed at least
    75 pounds. Five years ago, I nearly lost the 75 pounds I needed to and then gained it back all
    because I stopped power walking and started to eat again. I changed jobs, so I haven't had a chance
    to do the intense walking I used to use to shed pounds. However, I feel that to be totally
    successful this time, I MUST change my thinking too. I eat when I'm bored or nervous, and generally
    overeat at meals. I've been doing this ever since I was a little kid. How can I make my weight loss
    permanent and just stop eating? Walking would do it, but the minute I slow down or am in a
    situation where I can't walk for some time, I start gaining my weight back. It must come from the
    mind too. Help!

    Thanks, Rick Johnston

    Tags:

  2. Hoaxbuster

    Hoaxbuster Guest

    --WebTV-Mail-12444-707

    Go to the URL below & check out allergic reactions to Aspartame. This is no hoax - I'm a
    recovering victim.

    Caution: Diet sodas have been known to cause weight gain and raise blood sugar count. Most everyone
    is a candidate for Type 2 diabetes.

    Other than that - there are real good weight loss groups. Just go to Discussion & type in
    weight loss
    CaloriesCount.com. is a good site. It has free calorie counter plus give you an idea of calorie
    count per day to lose weight.

    I joined as in pay dues. It gives you a longer list to figure calories plus keep a running diary -
    also gives you weekly diets. - each day you can plan your meals & check the calorie count OR you can
    post what you've eaten and see what a good/bad boy you've been.

    Hope this helps

    Nan

    --WebTV-Mail-12444-707 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type:
    Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit

    Message><a /ClickURLhttpwww">aspartame reactions are REAL-click URL below <BR><a
    href="http://community.webtv.net/nanbrown/wwwrelfecom">www.relfe.com/Aspartame_92.html</a><BR>

    --WebTV-Mail-12444-707--

  3. Pineslayer

    Pineslayer Guest

    I'm a type II diabetic and a member of forum.lowcarber.org.
    I've been on a lowcarb diet for almost 3 weeks. My blood
    sugars are very close to normal at all times, I'm not hungry
    all the time, and I've lost 10 lbs. Woo-Hoo! Check it out.

    Dee "Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    link.net...
    > I am a 33 year old male who is 75 lbs. overweight. Between
    > the ages of 37-40, my brother and father were both
    > diagnosed with type II diabetes.
    At
    > the time of their diagnosis, both were overweight also.
    > Bottom line... I DON'T want to get diabetes and my risk is
    > greatly reduced if I shed at
    least
    > 75 pounds. Five years ago, I nearly lost the 75 pounds I
    > needed to and
    then
    > gained it back all because I stopped power walking and
    > started to eat
    again.
    > I changed jobs, so I haven't had a chance to do the
    > intense walking I used to use to shed pounds. However, I
    > feel that to be totally successful this time, I MUST
    > change my thinking too. I eat when I'm bored or nervous,
    > and generally overeat at meals. I've been doing this ever
    > since I was a
    little
    > kid. How can I make my weight loss permanent and just
    > stop eating?
    Walking
    > would do it, but the minute I slow down or am in a
    > situation where I can't walk for some time, I start
    > gaining my weight back. It must come from the mind
    > too. Help!
    >
    > Thanks, Rick Johnston

  4. Aj Bennett

    Aj Bennett Guest

    I have lost 75 pounds and my BGs, BP, cholesterol, and
    triglycerides are all in the normal range. My last A1C was
    5.2. This is all from following a lo carb diet and exercise.

    AJ

    Rick Johnston wrote:
    > I am a 33 year old male who is 75 lbs. overweight. Between
    > the ages of 37-40, my brother and father were both
    > diagnosed with type II diabetes. At the time of their
    > diagnosis, both were overweight also. Bottom line... I
    > DON'T want to get diabetes and my risk is greatly reduced
    > if I shed at least 75 pounds. Five years ago, I nearly
    > lost the 75 pounds I needed to and then gained it back all
    > because I stopped power walking and started to eat again.
    > I changed jobs, so I haven't had a chance to do the
    > intense walking I used to use to shed pounds. However, I
    > feel that to be totally successful this time, I MUST
    > change my thinking too. I eat when I'm bored or nervous,
    > and generally overeat at meals. I've been doing this ever
    > since I was a little kid. How can I make my weight loss
    > permanent and just stop eating? Walking would do it, but
    > the minute I slow down or am in a situation where I can't
    > walk for some time, I start gaining my weight back. It
    > must come from the mind too. Help!
    >
    > Thanks, Rick Johnston

  5. Beachnut

    Beachnut Guest

    There are so many of us who wish they had written this
    message at one time, me for one.

    I'm not nearly the expert people on the
    Alt.support.diabetes are, but I had a physical in
    December with even better results. But I am still
    IGT,prediabetic. It's a switch, a trigger. An autoimmune
    response that the body learns and once learned, it can't
    be unlearned. So don't go there. Do whatever you have to
    do to get lean and mean. You can have good physicals all
    along and then, BAM!

    You just eat properly, low carb, cut out bad habits like
    smoking and excessive drinking, and exercise an hour per
    day. Every day. Vary it so you don't overuse certain
    joints. Not swimming for some reason. It's hard to cut
    fat by swimming, but running, fast walking, biking, heck,
    tai chi. Anything! Get your heart rate up to 85% max for
    your age, keep it there for over half an hour. You'll
    lose weight, guaranteed.

    "AJ Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have lost 75 pounds and my BGs, BP, cholesterol, and
    > triglycerides are all in the normal range. My last A1C was
    > 5.2. This is all from following a lo carb diet and
    > exercise.
    >
    > AJ
    >
    > Rick Johnston wrote:
    > > I am a 33 year old male who is 75 lbs. overweight.
    > > Between the ages of 37-40, my brother and father were
    > > both diagnosed with type II diabetes.
    At
    > > the time of their diagnosis, both were overweight also.
    > > Bottom line...
    > > DON'T want to get diabetes and my risk is greatly
    > > reduced if I shed at
    least
    > > 75 pounds. Five years ago, I nearly lost the 75 pounds I
    > > needed to and
    then
    > > gained it back all because I stopped power walking and
    > > started to eat
    again.
    > > I changed jobs, so I haven't had a chance to do the
    > > intense walking I
    used
    > > to use to shed pounds. However, I feel that to be
    > > totally successful
    this
    > > time, I MUST change my thinking too. I eat when I'm
    > > bored or nervous,
    and
    > > generally overeat at meals. I've been doing this ever
    > > since I was a
    little
    > > kid. How can I make my weight loss permanent and just
    > > stop eating?
    Walking
    > > would do it, but the minute I slow down or am in a
    > > situation where I
    can't
    > > walk for some time, I start gaining my weight back. It
    > > must come from
    the