simplyred said:I am appealing to the masses - to share my story and hopefully learn something. As I learn more from this forum, articles from the Dr's, and other sources - I find myself still a bit hazy on how to improve my performance. I'm hoping that some discussion can take place - so I can get a better picture.
My LT* [200W] is right around 83% of VO2max [240W**] - so I assume I've squeezed almost every last drop of lactate threshold training possible.
*As in @ 200W - I'm swearing, squirming, in utter hysterics - but able to crank out the watts for 20 minutes for 2 or 3 intervals.
**Power @ VO2Max is max sustainable power for 5 minutes - no?
Power profile as of today [68kg]:
11.32 | 5 | 3.53 | 2.94
Looks like a Cat 5 TTer - no? So I can't say I have lots of fast-twitch muscles to account for crappy aerobic power.
Started riding in 2004 - lots of base, generally a committed roadie.
Recent work on the PT:
May/June - a 8wk block of high intensity intervals outdoors - nothing too structured, just some 1 min jumps ~300W - 400W/40 - 50kph.
July - racking up SST/4X20's TSS, rebuilding base/FTP.
August - 95% of original FTP [220W].
I feel the ceiling - I feel like I can't push through. I'm not a natural athlete - I figure I have a really crappy VO2max and I've maxed out on my abilities as a person. But these numbers are almost untrained - what should I do?
Do some structured VO2max? [I've never done 5X5 VO2max training]
L3 enduro building? [to raise FTP?]
*EVEN IF* I raise my power @ VO2max to 290W [20 %inc] and maintain my LT as 83%. I get a FTP of roughly 240W.
Sigh... let's hear it... 🙁
I'm somewhat confused as to your apparent difficulty in producing 200 watts after several years of riding. I'd hit the doc up for a general blood screen, health check and if you have any hint of asthma/wheezing, I'd get them to take a look at that too.
I'd also take a look into spending a little more time on the bike with rides upto 2 hours at around L3. You'll have to find someway to make this interesting to keep it fresh... unless you're one of the few that can do anything if there's "an end goal" in sight