Road Cycling · Public discussion

I. Give.Up. Going Postal. Major Pythonesque Apeshit.

Started by Specialized · · Last activity · 9 posts · 480 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 June 2006
Last activity
26 June 2006
Original author
Specialized
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
480
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. <disgust>
    At one time there were certain Newsgroup conventions that included
    "Tracking in dirt from other newsgroups".

    I just listed my newsgroups on this server and see hundreds of
    POLITICS newsgroups. Some are regional or specific to certain
    countries, but there are still PLENTY to go around.

    HAS IT EVER CROSSED ANYONE'S MIND that:

    1) Some of us ride so that we can get AWAY from the bumper stickers,
    slogans, media bombardment, lack of civility and general hostilities?

    2) I DO NOT CARE ABOUT AND DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM:

    Bible-thumbling glazed-eyed Witch-hunting homophobic racist Rushbots
    regurgitating Fox News, or whatever the Grand Kleagle fed them at the
    last Cross-burning.

    Cambridge/Berkeley Socialists shrieking about some divinity dropout's
    Climatology PR Stunt, regurgitating the New York Times, or whatever
    some tenured '60s acid burnouts dumped into their receptive little
    heads.

    Smug, condescending, supercilious, judgmental, compensating
    Making-Up-For-Personal-(Amway-Salesman)-Failures
    deriding "FREDs" and "Newbies".

    Newsgroup Deleted. So have fun with the "Don't let the door hit you
    in the ass" witticisms. I cannot keep stuffing the killfile here.

    I am going RIDING-Remember doing THAT before becoming a Zampolit?

    </disgust>

  2. Specialized said:

    <disgust>
    At one time there were certain Newsgroup conventions that included
    "Tracking in dirt from other newsgroups".

    I just listed my newsgroups on this server and see hundreds of
    POLITICS newsgroups. Some are regional or specific to certain
    countries, but there are still PLENTY to go around.

    HAS IT EVER CROSSED ANYONE'S MIND that:

    1) Some of us ride so that we can get AWAY from the bumper stickers,
    slogans, media bombardment, lack of civility and general hostilities?

    2) I DO NOT CARE ABOUT AND DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM:

    Bible-thumbling glazed-eyed Witch-hunting homophobic racist Rushbots
    regurgitating Fox News, or whatever the Grand Kleagle fed them at the
    last Cross-burning.

    Cambridge/Berkeley Socialists shrieking about some divinity dropout's
    Climatology PR Stunt, regurgitating the New York Times, or whatever
    some tenured '60s acid burnouts dumped into their receptive little
    heads.

    Smug, condescending, supercilious, judgmental, compensating
    Making-Up-For-Personal-(Amway-Salesman)-Failures
    deriding "FREDs" and "Newbies".

    Newsgroup Deleted. So have fun with the "Don't let the door hit you
    in the ass" witticisms. I cannot keep stuffing the killfile here.

    I am going RIDING-Remember doing THAT before becoming a Zampolit?

    </disgust>


    Personally newsgroups are mostly a diversion for me. Although I have
    often been given good advise by some in this group and rec.bicycles.tech
    as well.

    I just ignore all the E.D. type posters. If you just keep filtering them
    you forget that they exist.

    Ken
    --
    Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

  3. "Specialized" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <disgust>
    At one time there were certain Newsgroup conventions that included
    "Tracking in dirt from other newsgroups".

    I just listed my newsgroups on this server and see hundreds of
    POLITICS newsgroups. Some are regional or specific to certain
    countries, but there are still PLENTY to go around.

    HAS IT EVER CROSSED ANYONE'S MIND that:


    I hope that you find what you are looking for...

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Frank Drackman said:


    "Specialized" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <disgust>
    At one time there were certain Newsgroup conventions that included
    "Tracking in dirt from other newsgroups".

    I just listed my newsgroups on this server and see hundreds of
    POLITICS newsgroups. Some are regional or specific to certain
    countries, but there are still PLENTY to go around.

    HAS IT EVER CROSSED ANYONE'S MIND that:


    I hope that you find what you are looking for...

    Best thing to find is like-minded fellow riders with whom one can
    converse face-to-face.

    I guess we behave better in-person, than over electronic interactive
    media (which is known to have a depersonalizing effect.) The trouble
    with communication over newsgroups is that contextual nuance becomes
    so easily stifled. I recall once hearing that only about 20% of
    interpersonal communication is lingual.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  5. here here! and dont forget asshats digging up all the posts you made in the
    past pointing out spelling errors or generally taking them out of context to
    prove some sort of compensatory point!

  6. Specialized said:


    <disgust>


    (rant snipped)

    Quoted message said:

    I am going RIDING-Remember doing THAT before becoming a Zampolit?

    </disgust>

    I'd be out there now - instead of sitting here w/ coffee mug and news browser -
    but it has been raining more or less steadily since yesterday afyernoon. :-(

    --
    Michael
    unhappy camper

  7. Tom Keats said:


    Best thing to find is like-minded fellow riders with whom one can
    converse face-to-face.

    True, but that can be difficult. I'm fortunate to live in one of the
    loony cyclist capitals of the US (at least it seems so to me). I do
    feel sorry for people in less fortunate geographic locations. Though,
    once again the internet can be a nice tool for locating and organizing
    gatherings of these sort of folks.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess we behave better in-person, than over electronic interactive
    media (which is known to have a depersonalizing effect.) The trouble
    with communication over newsgroups is that contextual nuance becomes
    so easily stifled. I recall once hearing that only about 20% of
    interpersonal communication is lingual.

    Lack of non-verbal communication is part of it. I think a larger part
    of the trollery is lack of reprisal. [1] People routinely say and do
    things online that they wouldn't dream of doing in person. Hence the
    'internet tough guy', 'internet expert' phenomenon.

    [1] Reprisal is not confined to the physical. Shame and revulsion are
    powerful social tools also.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
    It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry

  8. Filters are your friend.

  9. catzz66 said:

    Filters are your friend.

    Oh, I do agree. I'm pretty content at the moment. I have filters for
    individuals, I've got filters for anything crossposted to arbr (with
    whitelisting for people for are reasonable human beings), I've got
    filtering for some of the helmet threads. All in all, the rec.bicycle
    hierarchy is pretty nice for me.

    Unfortunately people like the OP don't seem to be so lucky or perhaps so
    technically inclined.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    I have never seen anything fill up a vacuum so fast and still suck.
    -- Rob Pike, on X.

    Steve Jobs said two years ago that X is brain-damaged and it will be
    gone in two years. He was half right.
    -- Dennis Ritchie

    Dennis Ritchie is twice as bright as Steve Jobs, and only half wrong.
    -- Jim Gettys

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.