General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I hurt myself with zoomers

Started by O'Hush · · Last activity · 33 posts · 912 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 January 2006
Last activity
28 February 2006
Original author
O'Hush
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
912
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thursday night I swam a mile wearing short fins because I'm trying to
    correct an imbalanced kick. I'd used them once before without any
    problem. When I was finished swimming Thursday night, I pointed my
    toes to take off the right zoomer and my calf cramped like crazy. When
    it subsided and I got out of the pool, I noticed both calves felt a
    little sore. I spent some time stretching my calves that night, but
    when I woke up in the morning, I could barely walk anyway. I walked a
    couple of miles on Friday and stretched as much as I could stand, and
    Saturday they're improved but still fairly sore. I searched this NG
    for similar stories and found people had sore gluteals and upper
    hamstrings after swimming with zoomers, but not calves. I'm wondering:

    1. Did I use the zoomers wrong?

    2. How can I avoid hurting myself like this again?

    Thanks, --Patti

  2. O'Hush said:

    Thursday night I swam a mile wearing short fins because I'm trying to
    correct an imbalanced kick. I'd used them once before without any
    problem. When I was finished swimming Thursday night, I pointed my
    toes to take off the right zoomer and my calf cramped like crazy. When
    it subsided and I got out of the pool, I noticed both calves felt a
    little sore. I spent some time stretching my calves that night, but
    when I woke up in the morning, I could barely walk anyway. I walked a
    couple of miles on Friday and stretched as much as I could stand, and
    Saturday they're improved but still fairly sore. I searched this NG
    for similar stories and found people had sore gluteals and upper
    hamstrings after swimming with zoomers, but not calves. I'm wondering:

    1. Did I use the zoomers wrong?

    2. How can I avoid hurting myself like this again?

    Thanks, --Patti

    Low potasium is a common cause of leg cramps.

  3. "O'Hush" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thursday night I swam a mile wearing short fins because I'm trying to
    correct an imbalanced kick. I'd used them once before without any
    problem. When I was finished swimming Thursday night, I pointed my
    toes to take off the right zoomer and my calf cramped like crazy. When
    it subsided and I got out of the pool, I noticed both calves felt a
    little sore. I spent some time stretching my calves that night, but
    when I woke up in the morning, I could barely walk anyway. I walked a
    couple of miles on Friday and stretched as much as I could stand, and
    Saturday they're improved but still fairly sore. I searched this NG
    for similar stories and found people had sore gluteals and upper
    hamstrings after swimming with zoomers, but not calves. I'm wondering:

    1. Did I use the zoomers wrong?

    2. How can I avoid hurting myself like this again?

    Yes, you used them wrong(ly).

    Cramps from using fins, of the nature and origin you describe, are common.
    It happens because the fin allows a greater than normal flexion of the foot;
    this means your calf muscles can become shorter than normal; this, together
    with the extra work and consquent fatigue is a recipe for cramps.

    People who use fins for the first few times should

    a) not do a great distance
    b) take frequent rests or changes to a non-fin exercise
    c) be aware of the possibility of sudden severe cramps

    With practice you can increase the total distance, and the amount done
    between rest/change, but c) will always be important.

    It is unlikely that you have damaged yourself in a permanent way. Next time
    you will be more careful - even experienced swimmers using fins can drive
    their legs into the same conditions and get cramps like yours - but they are
    aware and they will stop as soon as they get the first twinges.

    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...


  4. Quoted message said:


    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven cleaner
    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    Quoted message said:


  5. "Pat in TX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that


    recently

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven


    cleaner

    Quoted message said:

    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    And the wearer's genitals would somehow escape? Martin's meaning was quite
    clear.

  6. Pat in TX (quoting jTaylor):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    responded:

    Quoted message said:

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven cleaner
    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    There really is a certain je ne sais quoi about this newsgroup that I
    find hard to resist. Oven cleaner, whether applied to one's genitals or
    shoved up one's whatever is just so r.s.s.

    rtk

  7. jtaylor said:

    "O'Hush" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thursday night I swam a mile wearing short fins because I'm trying to
    correct an imbalanced kick. I'd used them once before without any
    problem. When I was finished swimming Thursday night, I pointed my
    toes to take off the right zoomer and my calf cramped like crazy. When
    it subsided and I got out of the pool, I noticed both calves felt a
    little sore. I spent some time stretching my calves that night, but
    when I woke up in the morning, I could barely walk anyway. I walked a
    couple of miles on Friday and stretched as much as I could stand, and
    Saturday they're improved but still fairly sore. I searched this NG
    for similar stories and found people had sore gluteals and upper
    hamstrings after swimming with zoomers, but not calves. I'm wondering:

    1. Did I use the zoomers wrong?

    2. How can I avoid hurting myself like this again?

    Yes, you used them wrong(ly).

    Cramps from using fins, of the nature and origin you describe, are common.
    It happens because the fin allows a greater than normal flexion of the foot;
    this means your calf muscles can become shorter than normal; this, together
    with the extra work and consquent fatigue is a recipe for cramps.

    People who use fins for the first few times should

    a) not do a great distance
    b) take frequent rests or changes to a non-fin exercise
    c) be aware of the possibility of sudden severe cramps

    With practice you can increase the total distance, and the amount done
    between rest/change, but c) will always be important.

    It is unlikely that you have damaged yourself in a permanent way. Next time
    you will be more careful - even experienced swimmers using fins can drive
    their legs into the same conditions and get cramps like yours - but they are
    aware and they will stop as soon as they get the first twinges.

    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    Well, he may be a smartass, but IMO he was probably right about the OP
    with the jammers question having nefarious intentions, and I think the
    oven cleaner remark was intended as a joke related to that thread.
    Besides, low potassium *can* cause muscle cramps, but so can overuse,
    and clearly I had overused my calf muscles with the zoomers. Thanks to
    all who answered. When I heal up I'll use them more judiciously. 🙂

    --Patti

  8. Patti:

    A good kick requires that you allign your foot to the leg rather than
    keeping your foot perpendicular to it. As J suggests, this causes the
    muscle to contract. If you ever cramp your calf in the pool you should
    try to get your leg straight, your foot perpendicular to the leg, grab
    your toes and pull them towards you to stretch the calves.

    At home, you should build flexibility of calfs and foot by stratching
    your calves and by stretching your foot. To stretch your calf you can
    stand with one leg behing the other. Keeping your rear leg straight,
    bend your front leg at the knee and lean forward towards a wall. Keep
    the entire rear foot touching the gound. You can also stand on
    something higher than the ground on the ball of your foot and drop your
    heels so that they are lower than your toes.

    To stretch your feet, grab the top of your foot and pull back to align
    it with your calf and try to arch the sole of your foot and toes.

    When you swim, you should concentrate in keeping your feet aligned with
    the rest of the leg, like a ballet dancer. You can try doing kickboard
    exercises without fins concentrating on pointing your feet and toes.
    stretch a little before and after you do this.

    Also, if you are up to it, spray oven cleaner in your swimsuit ande
    report back on how that feels ;-)

    Andres

    Andres

  9. Patti - you do know that Zoomers come in two colours? The red version
    is harder than the blue, but the latter is still quite stiff and
    unyielding. There are more flexible types of short-bladed fins around,
    e.g. Speedo Optimus training fins, whose foot pockets are made of
    softer, more comfortable rubber.

  10. rtk said:

    Pat in TX (quoting jTaylor):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that
    recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    responded:

    Quoted message said:

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven
    cleaner be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    There really is a certain je ne sais quoi about this newsgroup that I
    find hard to resist. Oven cleaner, whether applied to one's genitals or
    shoved up one's whatever is just so r.s.s.

    rtk

    Apparently jtaylor has never cleaned an oven. On the other hand, we
    haven't heard from Micheal since I didn't advise him to apply oven
    cleaner to his genitals. Or is it Michael?

  11. O'Hush said:
    jtaylor said:

    "O'Hush" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thursday night I swam a mile wearing short fins because I'm trying to
    correct an imbalanced kick. I'd used them once before without any
    problem. When I was finished swimming Thursday night, I pointed my
    toes to take off the right zoomer and my calf cramped like crazy. When
    it subsided and I got out of the pool, I noticed both calves felt a
    little sore. I spent some time stretching my calves that night, but
    when I woke up in the morning, I could barely walk anyway. I walked a
    couple of miles on Friday and stretched as much as I could stand, and
    Saturday they're improved but still fairly sore. I searched this NG
    for similar stories and found people had sore gluteals and upper
    hamstrings after swimming with zoomers, but not calves. I'm wondering:

    1. Did I use the zoomers wrong?

    2. How can I avoid hurting myself like this again?

    Yes, you used them wrong(ly).

    Cramps from using fins, of the nature and origin you describe, are common.
    It happens because the fin allows a greater than normal flexion of the foot;
    this means your calf muscles can become shorter than normal; this, together
    with the extra work and consquent fatigue is a recipe for cramps.

    People who use fins for the first few times should

    a) not do a great distance
    b) take frequent rests or changes to a non-fin exercise
    c) be aware of the possibility of sudden severe cramps

    With practice you can increase the total distance, and the amount done
    between rest/change, but c) will always be important.

    It is unlikely that you have damaged yourself in a permanent way. Next time
    you will be more careful - even experienced swimmers using fins can drive
    their legs into the same conditions and get cramps like yours - but they are
    aware and they will stop as soon as they get the first twinges.

    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that recently
    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    Well, he may be a smartass, but IMO he was probably right about the OP
    with the jammers question having nefarious intentions, and I think the
    oven cleaner remark was intended as a joke related to that thread.
    Besides, low potassium *can* cause muscle cramps, but so can overuse,
    and clearly I had overused my calf muscles with the zoomers. Thanks to
    all who answered. When I heal up I'll use them more judiciously. 🙂

    Swimming a mile wearing fins is not overuse, especially little fins like
    zoomers. But if you aren't accustomed to swimming with fins, then
    soreness would result, but the cramps you describe are common when there
    is a chemical imbalance, and cramps can and will occur whether you use
    fins or not. You *can* apply oven cleaner to your calves, and it will
    end those nasty cramps, but I assume you know it will also burn your
    legs off.

  12. Martin Smith said:

    Apparently jtaylor has never cleaned an oven. On the other hand, we
    haven't heard from Micheal since I didn't advise him to apply oven
    cleaner to his genitals. Or is it Michael?

    Well hopefully he plonked you after the oven cleaner remark, but before
    you accused him of having spelled his own name wrong 😉

    --Patti


  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that


    recently

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    swimming...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven


    cleaner

    Quoted message said:

    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    And the wearer's genitals would somehow escape? Martin's meaning was
    quite
    clear.

    Do you not have the ability to detect "sarcasm" or the concept of "tongue in
    cheek"?

    Quoted message said:


  14. ">

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apparently jtaylor has never cleaned an oven. On the other hand, we
    haven't heard from Micheal since I didn't advise him to apply oven
    cleaner to his genitals. Or is it Michael?

    Well hopefully he plonked you after the oven cleaner remark, but before
    you accused him of having spelled his own name wrong 😉

    --Patti


    It was a joke, people! Can't you detect when people are making a joke?
    Besides, Micheal's parents DID misspell his name....

  15. Pat in TX said:

    ">

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apparently jtaylor has never cleaned an oven. On the other hand, we
    haven't heard from Micheal since I didn't advise him to apply oven
    cleaner to his genitals. Or is it Michael?

    Well hopefully he plonked you after the oven cleaner remark, but before
    you accused him of having spelled his own name wrong 😉

    --Patti


    It was a joke, people! Can't you detect when people are making a joke?
    Besides, Micheal's parents DID misspell his name....

    If you mean me, I was joking, hence the little winky smiley emoticon.
    (Can't you detect when people are making a joke? Even when they label
    it?)

  16. Pat in TX said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that

    recently

    Quoted message said:

    >suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals before
    >swimming...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven

    cleaner

    Quoted message said:

    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    And the wearer's genitals would somehow escape? Martin's meaning was
    quite
    clear.

    Do you not have the ability to detect "sarcasm" or the concept of "tongue in
    cheek"?

    I agree with Ruth. Taylor and Artindale remind me of Arden and Maisey. I
    bet no one here remembers them. I don't know if I spelled her name
    right, and I can't find their act in google... so Taylor won't know
    about them for sure, although they did come from England.

  17. "Pat in TX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    > As for the advice from Martin, remember that he's the fellow that


    recently

    Quoted message said:

    > suggested another poster here apply oven cleaner to his genitals


    before

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > swimming...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember his post as suggesting oven


    cleaner

    Quoted message said:

    be applied to the inside of the swim suit before swimming....

    And the wearer's genitals would somehow escape? Martin's meaning was
    quite
    clear.

    Do you not have the ability to detect "sarcasm" or the concept of "tongue


    in

    Quoted message said:

    cheek"?

    Quoted message said:

    More likely equal parts homophobia and malice.

  18. Martin Smith said:

    Swimming a mile wearing fins is not overuse,

    Speak for yourself, superman. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    especially little fins like
    zoomers. But if you aren't accustomed to swimming with fins, then
    soreness would result, but the cramps you describe are common when there
    is a chemical imbalance, and cramps can and will occur whether you use
    fins or not.

    Oh I know. Talk to me about leg cramps after you've had a baby. That
    sort wakes you at night and leaves you drenched in sweat. In this case
    I'm pretty sure it was from overuse because only one calf cramped, but
    both calves were equally sore the next day.

    Quoted message said:

    You *can* apply oven cleaner to your calves, and it will
    end those nasty cramps, but I assume you know it will also burn your
    legs off.

    I hope it doesn't come to that then. Actually they're mostly better
    now.

    --Patti

  19. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And the wearer's genitals would somehow escape? Martin's meaning was
    quite
    clear.

    Do you not have the ability to detect "sarcasm" or the concept of "tongue


    in

    Quoted message said:

    cheek"?


    More likely equal parts homophobia and malice.

    Huh? You lost me there. Are you ....no, forget it.

    Pat

    Quoted message said:



  20. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well hopefully he plonked you after the oven cleaner remark, but before
    you accused him of having spelled his own name wrong 😉

    --Patti

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It was a joke, people! Can't you detect when people are making a joke?
    Besides, Micheal's parents DID misspell his name....

    If you mean me, I was joking, hence the little winky smiley emoticon.
    (Can't you detect when people are making a joke? Even when they label
    it?)

    If it were a joke, then why put the part in about "well hopefully he plonked
    you...." because if you recognized it as a joke, you wouldn't plonk anybody!

    I used to know a woman who would come up to you and say the weirdest stuff
    and then laugh. If you objected, she'd say, "what's the matter, didn't you
    see that I laughed?" For example, she'd say, "You would be nice lookingr
    looking if only you were taller!...." and if I would say, "What?" she'd say,
    "What's the matter with you? I laughed!"
    Pat

    Quoted message said:

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.