Road Cycling · Public discussion

I know it is wrong but...

Started by Florin · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,391 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 May 2003
Last activity
29 May 2003
Original author
Florin
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,391
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article said:

    Not exactly. If you're using metric units, power is measured in watts and pedal force in newtons.
    Torque is measured in newton-meters, and differs from pedal force in taking the crank length into
    account.

    Ah, I get it. Thank you.

    Now I've gotta resist the temptation to do some math tinkering. I think I'll go for a ride
    instead ;-)

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

  2. (Jon Isaacs) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most experienced cyclists find that the reduction of knee stress combined with increased speed and
    endurance is well worth it. There is still quite a range of cadences used by even high level
    racers, although all of them are using higher cadences than many novices who have not yet
    developed much aerobic capacity.

    Quoted message said:

    Most experienced cyclists probably don't have a high percentage of fast twitch muscle nor do they
    have large bones and joints.

    Exactly. I have rather thick bones and fat^H^H^Hmuscular legs so doing high RPMs is a lot more
    wasteful (simple physics, your legs are continuously under accelearation during pedalling, even at
    constant rpm). By contrast, most pros have much leaner and less heavier legs with fast twitch
    muscles and aerobic capacity to keep it going.

  3. In article said:

    I find it much less tiring to use high force/low revs when pedalling -- for example, I prefer to
    use the largest chainring, even when going uphill.

    I suspect that this has something to do with me having really good deadlift and squat lifts for my
    bodyweight and not very good aerobic resistance.

    Sorry for being caught up in the recent debate about oxygen uptake vs cadence, but in answer
    your question:

    You don't say what your cadence is, but going down to around 60 rpm seems to be okay. Much lower and
    you're hammering.

    Let's look at it from another view. If you had weak legs, pedaling at high revs will be less
    fatiguing (because the reduced pedal force requires fewer muscle fibers to contract in unison,
    reducing muscle overload and lactate buildup). Low force on the pedals and primarily aerobic
    activity, however, will not build much leg strength.

    Because of your leg strength, you can probably get away with a lower cadence, but if you want to
    improve aerobically, you might want to consider spinning for at least some of your rides. The key
    point is that you must sustain a 70-85% HR for a long enough duration, regardless of the pedal force
    you favor, for cardiovascular improvement and building an endurance base.

    It's even possible that your preferred cadence will quicken as you become more fit. Just think, if
    you can sustain a high pedaling force _and_ high revs, you'd be wicked fast on hills!

    Quoted message said:

    I know this is supposed to be te wrong pedalling technique, but I wonder if it is worth the effort
    of changing my style to high revs.

    My first (adulthood) bike was a Hon folder with three speeds. With only three gears I was always
    hammering up hills and spinning out in the flats. By hammering, I meant standing and really
    torqueing the handlebars in order to force the pedals around. High pedal forces did a number on the
    bike: I bent the cranks twice (had to replace them) and twisted the frame enough to loosen the
    folding hinges. I ended up with massive thighs, though.

    Big chainring is probably okay, as long as you don't shift the front under load. But don't hammer in
    the small cog. Better to be big in front and medium in back than middle in front and little in back,
    as far as gear teeth are concerned.

    Keep in mind that the same extreme forces also act on your joints, particularly your knees, so it's
    a little easier on your body as well as your bike to pedal faster in lower gear. Also, after a long
    ride and you're slightly dehydrated/hyponatremic, a sudden high force can trigger a cramp.

    Good luck.

    Van

    --
    Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
    Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An
    Error is Not a Mistake ... Unless You Refuse to Correct It"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.