"Al C-F" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Nathaniel Porter said:Quoted message said:>>
>> But that would penalise the frugal wealthy more than
>> those lower earners who, by wasting resources and
>> unnecessarily consuming, cause more damage to the
>> earth.
>>
>> >
>> >Well, obviously it'd make you unelectable.....but
>> >it would be
fairer
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>>
>> No, it wouldn't. See above.
>> >
>>
>
>?!?!?!What part of it not being fairer are you having trouble
with? Are you, perhaps, arguing that there is more
merit in consumption than thrift?No. But the fact is not all poor people consume too much
- and that many rich people do.So those over consuming rich people would pay more tax.
It's really very simple if you could abandon your
prejudices for five minutes.
But that's not the point! It would be better if they didn't
overconsume in the first place!
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>
>People don't get rich by being frugal.Good financial management helps rather a lot.
Granted
Therefore being frugal helps people become rich.
It is part of the solution yes. But just being frugal won't
help many poor people who don't have the opportunities
necessary to earn a decent living.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:>In the vast majority of cases get rich by chance -
>being born into the right situation for example.I doubt this. Many people get rich by hard work and
calculated risk taking.Indeed. Many get rich from an inheiritance passed down
from gernerations ago - money which was often earnt in an
unsavoury manner.So you seek to provide different tax treatment to the two
groups? Or would you prefer to demonise both hard work
and having ancestors who fail to match up to todays
liberal values?
I have no problem with those who work hard to get their
wealth (although I would still encourage them to be generous
to help the underpriviliged)
As for the people who inheirit dirty money - perhaps we need
a tax to internalise the true costs that the acquision of
that money caused and causes. In many cases it would be a
very steep tax.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>Whilst some poor people are wasteful, most realise
>they can't afford to be.I am always surprised by how many more pubs, fast food
joints and smokers there are when I ride through the
'slimey depths' compared to here in outer suburbia.I can't say I notice much difference myself. But I
suspect the "slimet depths" your refering to aren't the
real problem areas.How so?
I suspect the "slimey depths" you ride through aren't the
areas where poverty is a real problem. I would be interested
to here where you consider to be "the slimey depths".
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:So these 'poor' are voluntarily paying the taxes on
booze and [censored] - and a fat tax on takeaways is
currently occupying our red tops.Oi! You missed one. Come on - agree or disagree? Explain.
I would suggest that they aren't the true poor.
I have already acknowledged in this thread that there are
people who don't help themselves by wasting money and
opportunity.
What about the rest of the poor?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
I think the 4x4 cliche has already been covered.But people do it.
As previously covered.
Indeed. Consider it an attempt to drag this thread kicking
and screaming back on topic :-p