General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I'm a food snob!!!

Started by Nancy Young · · Last activity · 36 posts · 717 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 May 2005
Last activity
12 May 2005
Original author
Nancy Young
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
717
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    nancy

  2. Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    <snip>

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    nancy


    Dunno, but the weather is much better down here (snigger) 🙂

  3. Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    Sheldon

  4. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    nancy

  5. Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in


    those

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may


    as

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    Hehe... of course I believe you... about 90% of the regulars and 89% of
    the lurkers predicted I'd say that. About 95,000 rfc subscribers would
    have been very disappointed had I not. <G> Ok, now try posting about
    how to clean squid... <heehee>

    PS If anyone knows It's got to be Nancy... please, what's a
    "Nancyboy"?

    Sheldon

  6. I'm fussy about meatballs too, so I don't make 'em.

    Around Philly, Italian cuisine is the best. No complaints, or they break
    your kneecaps.

    !!!!JUST KIDDING!!!!

    Andy

  7. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    have been very disappointed had I not. <G> Ok, now try posting about
    how to clean squid... <heehee>

    (laugh) Not this girl.

    Quoted message said:


    PS If anyone knows It's got to be Nancy... please, what's a
    "Nancyboy"?

    I do not know. I mean, I get the general idea, but I don't have
    a clue what Nancy has to do with it.

    nancy

  8. Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    have been very disappointed had I not. <G> Ok, now try posting


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    how to clean squid... <heehee>

    (laugh) Not this girl.

    Quoted message said:


    PS If anyone knows It's got to be Nancy... please, what's a
    "Nancyboy"?

    I do not know. I mean, I get the general idea, but I don't have
    a clue what Nancy has to do with it.

    Hmm, I don't even know what the "it" is refering to. I've known quite
    a few Nancys over the years, in fact Nancy is my favorite female name,
    but none could ever be mistaken for a boy... not from the back, not
    from the front, definitely not from the side view. From my personal
    experience "Nancyboy" is the ultimate dichotomy... and I can assure you
    no one could mistake you for me... I mean if we were deer there is no
    way anyone could confuse my rack for your rack. 😉

    Sheldon

  9. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    nancy

    No, you haven't looked down on me -- but my f-i-l uses them. He lives in
    assisted living, gets 3 meals a day, but they never serve him any meatballs
    and spaghetti. This is his favorite (almost daily) evening after-dinner
    snack. He uses bottled spaghetti sauce which he heats in the microwave,
    along with the meatballs and I don't think he EVER cleans the pasta pan, nor
    the microwave; just keeps it 'ready' for the next meal. He's an ole-timer
    and this 'favorite' food keeps him very, very happy. P.S. He doesn't like
    spaghetti al dente either.
    Sob, Sob,
    Dee

  10. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    nancy

    Only way to make them is with beef, pork, and veal,(about 3-1-1) they add
    some soaked Italian bread (not breadcrumbs)

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    Sheldon

    Mystery balls are fun....
    and don't forget the sausage!

    This only works if you "eat" with the lights off. ;-)
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young wrote:
    > Yay, I figured it out.
    >
    > Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    > have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in


    those

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may


    as

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    Hehe... of course I believe you... about 90% of the regulars and 89% of
    the lurkers predicted I'd say that. About 95,000 rfc subscribers would
    have been very disappointed had I not. <G> Ok, now try posting about
    how to clean squid... <heehee>

    I'll get to that eventually when I buy more...
    and will include links to jpegs. <smirk>

    Quoted message said:


    PS If anyone knows It's got to be Nancy... please, what's a
    "Nancyboy"?

    Sheldon


    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  13. Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    nancy

    I was waiting for him to say that too, Nancy. :-D

    kili

  14. Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    nancy

    I was waiting for him to say that too, Nancy. :-D

    kili

  15. Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    Only way to make them is with beef, pork, and veal,(about 3-1-1) they add
    some soaked Italian bread (not breadcrumbs)

    Funny thing. My two Italian grandmothers didn't make them this way or
    like each other, for that matter. Both made good ones. That makes
    *three* only ways to make them. Neither used soaked Italian bread.

    Oh, well...

    Pastorio

  16. A little birdie told me that 'Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    You go, girl! Congratulations!

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    Textured vegetable protein, sawdust, and oregano.

    Quoted message said:

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    Sing it, sister!

    Quoted message said:

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    I don't mind if other people like them. As long as they don't expect *me*
    to like them. 😄

    Crash has been proclaiming himself a food snob lately. He's learned to
    expect a higher quality of food than the stuff he used to eat just to stay
    alive. No more Dinty Moore beef-like-substance stew. No more canned peas.
    No more brown 'n' serve rolls. YAY!

    We're in the process of trying all kinds of steaks. He discovered sirloin
    steaks at Applebee's awhile back, and has become a sirloin junkie. A
    couple weeks ago, we got some NY strips, and he's really liking those.
    Some time in the future, we'll be getting porterhouse, t-bone, and rib eye
    steaks so he can see which of those he likes best. This is getting
    expensive. Of course, my favorite is the tenderloin, but we only have that
    about once a year..

    I'm kinda flattered that he will only eat soup that I've made. Nothing
    from the store or in restaurants. I've been wanting to make potato leek
    soup for weeks, but there isn't a decent leek to be had in this town, and
    he is holding out for the real thing. No onion substitutions allowed. <G>

    Which reminds me. I'm gonna try to get a batch of Jill's butternut soup
    made either tonight or tomorrow.

    I don't think we're food snobs. We just appreciate a certain level of
    quality that we hadn't in the past. I'll fight to the death someone's
    right to put cream of mushroom soup in their food, but I'll be damned if
    I'll eat it. LOL!

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  17. A little birdie told me that 'Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate that
    since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball subs
    have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is in those
    things?

    Quoted message said:

    There's really not much point in making your own meatballs over
    store-bought if you're going to use pre-ground mystery meat... may as
    well go for broke and have full out mystery balls.

    You won't believe me, but I predicted you'd say that. No lie.

    I believe you, Nancy. 🙂

    I still haven't gotten around to locating our meat grinder attachment, but
    I do plan on starting to make my own burger and sausage, starting with
    chunks of actual meat.

    It's hard around here to find plain ground pork, unless it's chili ground.
    I'll enjoy having the freedom to make potstickers any time we want them,
    instead of only when we manage to score a package of ground pork at the
    store.

    No ground meat of any kind on the premises right now.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  18. Damsel said:

    I still haven't gotten around to locating our meat grinder attachment, but
    I do plan on starting to make my own burger and sausage, starting with
    chunks of actual meat.

    It's hard around here to find plain ground pork, unless it's chili ground.

    Costco here grinds fresh every day. Good balance fat and lean. I just
    made some meatballs with some.

    Meat, breadcrumbs (1/2 from lavosh, 1/2 from whole wheat), garlic, fresh
    herbs, egg, wine, seasoned olive oil, parmesan. By eye. Next time it'll
    be different.

    Also made a "meatsa" - a flattened sheet of the same mix to top with
    stuff usually used for pizza.

    Baked it in an 8" cake pan to catch rendered fats. Not much, actually.
    It was about an inch thick. I sliced it horizontally, put tomato sauce
    and a few different cheeses on the bottom layer. Covered with the top
    and did the same again. Baked, cut into wedges and served with a salad.
    Napped the plate with more of the sauce. Lovely...

    Meatballs were a different dinner. A little pasta and a lot of
    meatballs. Much sauce, good bread.

    Pastorio

  19. Damsel wrote on 08 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    A little birdie told me that "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    You go, girl! Congratulations!

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate
    that since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball
    subs have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is
    in those things?

    Textured vegetable protein, sawdust, and oregano.

    Quoted message said:

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    Sing it, sister!

    Quoted message said:

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    I don't mind if other people like them. As long as they don't
    expect *me* to like them. 😄

    Crash has been proclaiming himself a food snob lately. He's
    learned to expect a higher quality of food than the stuff he used
    to eat just to stay alive. No more Dinty Moore
    beef-like-substance stew. No more canned peas. No more brown 'n'
    serve rolls. YAY!

    We're in the process of trying all kinds of steaks. He discovered
    sirloin steaks at Applebee's awhile back, and has become a sirloin
    junkie. A couple weeks ago, we got some NY strips, and he's
    really liking those. Some time in the future, we'll be getting
    porterhouse, t-bone, and rib eye steaks so he can see which of
    those he likes best. This is getting expensive. Of course, my
    favorite is the tenderloin, but we only have that about once a
    year..

    I'm kinda flattered that he will only eat soup that I've made.
    Nothing from the store or in restaurants. I've been wanting to
    make potato leek soup for weeks, but there isn't a decent leek to
    be had in this town, and he is holding out for the real thing. No
    onion substitutions allowed. <G>

    Which reminds me. I'm gonna try to get a batch of Jill's
    butternut soup made either tonight or tomorrow.

    I don't think we're food snobs. We just appreciate a certain
    level of quality that we hadn't in the past. I'll fight to the
    death someone's right to put cream of mushroom soup in their food,
    but I'll be damned if I'll eat it. LOL!

    Carol

    A T-Bone is my favorite after that a Porterhouse.

    --
    No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  20. Damsel wrote on 08 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    A little birdie told me that "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Yay, I figured it out.

    You go, girl! Congratulations!

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I love Italian meatballs. I'm fussy about them. I hate
    that since I moved down the shore, more or less, that meatball
    subs have sucky meatballs. You cut into them, what the hell is
    in those things?

    Textured vegetable protein, sawdust, and oregano.

    Quoted message said:

    When I see meatballs in a plastic bag in the grocery freezer, I
    just shudder. Who buys that, make your own for Pete's sake!

    Sing it, sister!

    Quoted message said:

    (laugh) Yup, I just looked down on a few of you, perhaps.
    Sorry. I'm sure you'll be up all night sobbing into your pillow.

    I don't mind if other people like them. As long as they don't
    expect *me* to like them. 😄

    Crash has been proclaiming himself a food snob lately. He's
    learned to expect a higher quality of food than the stuff he used
    to eat just to stay alive. No more Dinty Moore
    beef-like-substance stew. No more canned peas. No more brown 'n'
    serve rolls. YAY!

    We're in the process of trying all kinds of steaks. He discovered
    sirloin steaks at Applebee's awhile back, and has become a sirloin
    junkie. A couple weeks ago, we got some NY strips, and he's
    really liking those. Some time in the future, we'll be getting
    porterhouse, t-bone, and rib eye steaks so he can see which of
    those he likes best. This is getting expensive. Of course, my
    favorite is the tenderloin, but we only have that about once a
    year..

    I'm kinda flattered that he will only eat soup that I've made.
    Nothing from the store or in restaurants. I've been wanting to
    make potato leek soup for weeks, but there isn't a decent leek to
    be had in this town, and he is holding out for the real thing. No
    onion substitutions allowed. <G>

    Which reminds me. I'm gonna try to get a batch of Jill's
    butternut soup made either tonight or tomorrow.

    I don't think we're food snobs. We just appreciate a certain
    level of quality that we hadn't in the past. I'll fight to the
    death someone's right to put cream of mushroom soup in their food,
    but I'll be damned if I'll eat it. LOL!

    Carol

    A T-Bone is my favorite after that a Porterhouse.

    --
    No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.