UK and Europe · Public discussion

I'm back!

Started by Pete Biggs · · Last activity · 34 posts · 1,487 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 February 2005
Last activity
24 February 2005
Original author
Pete Biggs
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,487
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pete Biggs said:


    What a good form of transport cycling is. I can't even walk properly but
    *can* ride a bike :-)

    Yeah - when I broke my leg last year I was cycling before I could
    really walk very well.

  2. LSMike said:

    More to the point why do you actually signal left? I thought
    cyclecraft recommended not to do it

    My copy doesn't.

    p.65 states:
    "The general principle, however, is to signal when, and for as long as,
    a signal can convey useful information to another road user"

    p.72-73 (the bit you're probably thinking of) states:
    "Signalling a left turn might seem an elementary courtesy which is easy
    to do. Unfortunately, due to the behaviour of a significant minority of
    drivers, this is not always as desirable for a cyclist as it should be.
    Some drivers, who themselves wish to turn left, take any indication that
    a cyclist ahead of them is doing likewise as an invitation to overtake
    at the junction, cutting across the cyclist's path in a very dangerous
    manner. Even the primary riding position does not protect a cyclist
    completely against this behaviour. Obviously, you should judge the
    prevailing conditions for yourself and be courteous to others when
    possible, but the general advice is to signal left only immediately
    before you turn and when it is unlikely to cause any danger to yourself."

    As a matter of courtesy, I will always signal my intentions if it is
    safe to do so and another road user is likely to benefit from the
    signal. More often than not, if I am turning left there will be a
    motorist waiting to turn out of the road that I am turning into. It
    makes sense to me to let that motorist know that I am turning and that
    he doesn't need to wait for me to go past (it's rare for motorists to
    pull out into my path, possibly because I make myself very BIG).

    I usually make sure I am well out into the road before I signal left,
    which prevents anyone passing me just before I turn. Unfortunately
    traffic calming recently installed in the road adjacent to the road that
    I live on causes signalling difficulties at my last turning on the way
    home. A combination of speed cushions and pavement build-outs means
    that, as I pass between cushion and kerb, I am too close to the edge of
    the road to be happy about signalling. And if I *did* signal I'd
    probably bash my arm on a bollard on the pavement build-out :-(

    (BTW, glad you're back on the bike Pete).

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  3. Glad you are well enough to be back on the bike & sensible enough to be
    taking it easy :-)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Pete Biggs said:

    What a good form of transport cycling is. I can't even walk properly but
    *can* ride a bike :-)

    Indeedie. I did the knee in last autumn, less seriously than you,
    but badly enough that I could neither walk nor cycle for a few days.
    I was back on the bike about the same time my (unaided but slow and
    cautious) walking crept back up to the mile, but before I felt able
    to give up the crutches for carrying a heavy pack on the bus home
    from Tescos.

    --
    Nick Kew

  5. Pete Biggs said:

    Back on the bike, that is, three months after breaking my hip and three
    frustrating months of no cycling whatsoever.

    Excellent news! I hope your recovery continues to go well.

    --
    Carol
    "Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

  6. Good Egg!

    Very good news indeed Pete.

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling
    John Mallard

  7. Pete Biggs said:

    Back on the bike, that is, three months after breaking my hip and three
    frustrating months of no cycling whatsoever.

    Great news Pete, good to hear. Have fun mate.

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "Let every man make known what kind of government would command his
    respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it"

    Henry David Thoreau

    Email address is spam trapped, to reply directly remove the beverage.

  8. On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:36:25 +0000 someone who may be Not Responding
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I used to always signal left. The only danger (oh, go on then tell me
    there are others) in doing so being that someone, knowing your going
    left, tries to overtake you on the corner.

    Someone coming the other way who thinks it a good idea to turn right
    into the road as you turn left into the same road.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  9. David Hansen said:

    Someone coming the other way who thinks it a good idea to turn right
    into the road as you turn left into the same road.

    I never signal left. Keep 'em guessing is the safest option; that way they
    won't risk it.

  10. Monkey Hanger said:


    I tend to signal left when the only other traffic is coming from the


    road

    Quoted message said:

    I'm turning onto. They probably won't run you down. Hopefully. If


    there's

    Quoted message said:

    just traffic behind me I sometimes signal at the last moment when


    there's

    Quoted message said:

    no time for them to come round the outside and attempt to kill me.


    :-/

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Chris

    That's largely my strategy too. I've experienced not just idiots
    trying to overtake turning left, but also oncoming traffic thinking it
    can turn right into the same road I'm turning left into.
    Rrrrrraaaaaagghhhh!!!!!

  11. Danny Colyer wrote:

    <snip>

    LOL, true, but in many circumstances the priority of my safety is why I
    don't signal, and interpret Cyclecraft as effectively meaning not to
    signal. A late signal is about as useful as no signal surely? I don't
    like the irritation factor it gives to other traffic, but IMO that's a
    minor issue if not signalling avoids a dangerous incident.

  12. Excellent news, Pete. Good to hear it.

    d.

  13. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Back on the bike, that is, three months after breaking my hip and three
    frustrating months of no cycling whatsoever.

    Nice one Pete!

    Regards,
    Peter B

  14. Danny Colyer said:

    I usually make sure I am well out into the road before I signal left,
    which prevents anyone passing me just before I turn. Unfortunately
    traffic calming recently installed in the road adjacent to the road that
    I live on causes signalling difficulties at my last turning on the way
    home. A combination of speed cushions and pavement build-outs means
    that, as I pass between cushion and kerb, I am too close to the edge of
    the road to be happy about signalling. And if I *did* signal I'd
    probably bash my arm on a bollard on the pavement build-out :-(

    I tended to signal more on the bent due to the lack of weight on the
    arms. On the uprights I tend to only signal right, and then only if I
    require someone to allow me across the lane and it's busy. Decent road
    positioning is enough to indicate your intentions to most drivers with
    half a brain... and the others wouldn't notice if your arm was stuck out
    anyway!

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.