UK and Europe · Public discussion

I made a mistake this morning...

Started by Paul · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,242 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 July 2004
Last activity
3 July 2004
Original author
Paul
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,242
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ... and if I hadn't been aware of that fact while I was
    making it, i'd possibley not be typing this.

    I took the GH back into town to have a new front wheel and
    disks fitted (as originally orderd) so was cycling in
    traffic I'm not reallyu familiar with. I approached a
    traffic light controlled junction that had a n advanced stop
    line and one of those death trap feeders to it. I noticed
    that the lorry at the front was all the way up to the ASL
    and I also noticed that the road straight ahead was closed
    (the way I wanted to go) apart for peds and cycles. The
    lorry was not indicating, which he should have been, as he
    had to go right or left.

    So full of rightous indignation at the two henous crimes
    being committed I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I attempted to
    get to the front of the queue using the death trap feeder,
    to prove I had right of way. VERY SILLY. the lights changed
    as I was about half way along the lorry. he sets off, and
    totally oblivious to me, turns left. Its a tight corner, and
    his near side rear wheels (its a 6 wheeler) mount the curb
    as he goes round. The gap I was attempting to occupy
    disapears, i turn into the curb, fall of and pull the Gh to
    safety. He's still totally unaware of my existence, and the
    REALLY SCAREY thing is that he could have ceased that
    existence and been none the wiser.

    It was a wakeup call to this country bumpkin. I assumed the
    Primary Road Position and behaved like traffic for the rest
    of the day. I had not one single additioanl problem. I had a
    few people rev their engines, but I ignorede them and moved
    over when it was safe for me to do so. No one seemed to be
    overly bothered.

    So, lesson learned with only damage to my pride. The busier
    the road, the more important it is to adopt the PRP
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  2. paul said:

    ... and if I hadn't been aware of that fact while I was
    making it, i'd possibley not be typing this.

    Very nasty. A real bowel-emptying moment. You see how
    dangerous cycle lanes can be, especially for inexperienced
    riders? You were aware of the left hook and you still nearly
    got caught. I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
    Mark Twain

  3. paul typed:

    Quoted message said:

    So full of rightous indignation at the two henous crimes
    being committed I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I attempted
    to get to the front of the queue using the death trap
    feeder, to prove I had right of way. VERY SILLY. the
    lights changed as I was about half way along the lorry. he
    sets off, and totally oblivious to me, turns left. Its a
    tight corner, and his near side rear wheels (its a 6
    wheeler) mount the curb as he goes round. The gap I was
    attempting to occupy disapears, i turn into the curb, fall
    of and pull the Gh to safety. He's still totally unaware
    of my existence, and the REALLY SCAREY thing is that he
    could have ceased that existence and been none the wiser.

    At least you saw what was coming .. and are all the better
    prepared for it .. 🙂

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  4. On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:51:36 +0000 (UTC), paul
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    full of rightous indignation at the two henous crimes being
    committed I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I attempted to get
    to the front of the queue using the death trap feeder, to
    prove I had right of way. VERY SILLY. the lights changed as
    I was about half way along the lorry. he sets off, and
    totally oblivious to me, turns left.

    Fresh underpants for Paul.

    I would write to the council and tell them what a death trap
    that feeder is. In this circumstance it sounds like the
    feeder should either be between lanes (if there is more than
    one) or to the right of the motor traffic.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  5. Just zis Guy, you know? typed:

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:51:36 +0000 (UTC), paul
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    full of rightous indignation at the two henous crimes
    being committed I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I attempted
    to get to the front of the queue using the death trap
    feeder, to prove I had right of way. VERY SILLY. the
    lights changed as I was about half way along the lorry.
    he sets off, and totally oblivious to me, turns left.

    Fresh underpants for Paul.

    I would write to the council and tell them what a death
    trap that feeder is. In this circumstance it sounds like
    the feeder should either be between lanes (if there is
    more than one) or to the right of the motor traffic.

    Sounds to me like it's a single lane, and traffic can turn
    either right or left .. If there _has_ to be a cycle lane,
    then the left hand side would seem most appropriate, though
    with [censored] taking up the cycle spaces I doubt it would
    matter which side the cycle lane was on ...

    Makes a good case, though, for cyclists _not_ to try passing
    large vehicles when approaching traffic lights, 'specially
    if they've been stood a while already and are likely to
    change mid-manouvre .. 😉.

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Just zis Guy, you know? typed:

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:51:36 +0000 (UTC), paul
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    full of rightous indignation at the two henous crimes
    being committed I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I
    attempted to get to the front of the queue using the
    death trap feeder, to prove I had right of way. VERY
    SILLY. the lights changed as I was about half way along
    the lorry. he sets off, and totally oblivious to me,
    turns left.

    Fresh underpants for Paul.

    I would write to the council and tell them what a death
    trap that feeder is. In this circumstance it sounds like
    the feeder should either be between lanes (if there is
    more than one) or to the right of the motor traffic.

    Sounds to me like it's a single lane, and traffic can turn
    either right or left .. If there _has_ to be a cycle lane,
    then the left hand side would seem most appropriate,
    though with [censored] taking up the cycle spaces I doubt
    it would matter which side the cycle lane was on ...

    Makes a good case, though, for cyclists _not_ to try
    passing large vehicles when approaching traffic lights,
    'specially if they've been stood a while already and are
    likely to change mid-manouvre .. 😉.


    Indeed, it was only rightous indignation that put me in a
    foolish situation. The wagon driver is still a twunt, but I
    could have avioded the situation... Remember its no good
    being right, if you're dead.
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  7. paul said:


    Remember its no good being right, if you're dead.

    That's being dead right

    Tony

  8. "paul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    So full of rightous indignation at the two henous
    crimes being


    committed

    Quoted message said:

    I dit a Really Stupid Thing. I attempted to get to the
    front of the queue using the death trap feeder, ..

    Here in London about a quarter of all cyclist fatalities are
    caused by left turning lorries. The Transport for London
    leaflet on the subject says, "Cycle lanes and advanced stop
    lines are there to help you - but take care not to get
    trapped by a lorry as it turns."

    As I understand it, the purpose of cyle lanes is to
    encourage novice cyclists to ride in places where they
    otherwise wouldn't

    Jeremy Parker

  9. Jeremy Parker said:

    Here in London about a quarter of all cyclist fatalities
    are caused by left turning lorries. The Transport for
    London leaflet on the subject says, "Cycle lanes and
    advanced stop lines are there to help you - but take care
    not to get trapped by a lorry as it turns."

    Has there been any call about getting lorries equiped with
    mirrors that enable them to see what's in that blind spot
    there? It's a recurring discussion in the NL but AFAIK
    nothing has actually come of it.

    Roos

  10. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roos Eisma

    B'Jeremy Parker said:

    Here in London about a quarter of all cyclist fatalities
    are caused by left turning lorries. The Transport for
    London leaflet on the subject says, "Cycle lanes and
    advanced stop lines are there to help you - but take care
    not to get trapped by a lorry as it turns."

    Has there been any call about getting lorries equiped with
    mirrors that enable them to see what's in that blind spot
    there? It's a recurring discussion in the NL but AFAIK
    nothing has actually come of it.

    Roos [/B]

    Not just on a bike either! I haven't been brave enough to venture onto a road with the slightest sniff of heavy vehicles yet. However I was side swiped on the motorway last year by a wagon changing into the left hand lane (which was already occupied by myself). After hitting me he still didn't see me and pushed me around in front of him pushing me about 300 yards down the road sideways - then he saw me! Fortunately he knew how to controll the situation and apart from a written off car, whiplash and shot nerves I was fine. Could have been much nastier. If his wagon had had better mirrors he would have seen me.

  11. On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:41:24 +0100, "Jeremy Parker"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    As I understand it, the purpose of cyle lanes is to
    encourage novice cyclists to ride in places where they
    otherwise wouldn't

    Like up the side of lorries? ;-)

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    So, lesson learned with only damage to my pride. The
    busier the road, the more important it is to adopt the PRP

    If you must filter your way into the ASL (And take control
    of it!) do so to the right of the inside lane. That way you
    are less likely to be side-swiped in the event of the
    lights changing.

    Thus speaks the voice of (similarly close) experience.

    Jon

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here in London about a quarter of all cyclist fatalities
    are caused by left turning lorries. The Transport for
    London leaflet on the subject says, "Cycle lanes and
    advanced stop lines are there to help you - but take care
    not to get trapped by a lorry as it turns."

    Has there been any call about getting lorries equiped with
    mirrors that enable them to see what's in that blind spot
    there? It's a recurring discussion in the NL but AFAIK
    nothing has actually come of it.

    My mum is actually trying to get a LH blind spot mirror for
    her Megane. The plan was to pick one up in France and see if
    it would work, but the French apparently hate them which
    makes them hard to find.

    One up from a cyclist. A driver of ours nearly killed 4 old
    ladies by turning a lorry left across the Micra they were
    in. They all survived with no injuries, but there were
    concerns about shock-related heart attacks! Blind spot
    mirrors for lorries... damn good idea!

    Jon

  14. Jon Senior said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here in London about a quarter of all cyclist fatalities
    are caused by left turning lorries. The Transport for
    London leaflet on the subject says, "Cycle lanes and
    advanced stop lines are there to help you - but take care
    not to get trapped by a lorry as it turns."

    Has there been any call about getting lorries equiped with
    mirrors that enable them to see what's in that blind spot
    there? It's a recurring discussion in the NL but AFAIK
    nothing has actually come of it.

    My mum is actually trying to get a LH blind spot mirror
    for her Megane. The plan was to pick one up in France and
    see if it would work, but the French apparently hate them
    which makes them hard to find.

    One up from a cyclist. A driver of ours nearly killed 4
    old ladies by turning a lorry left across the Micra they
    were in. They all survived with no injuries, but there
    were concerns about shock-related heart attacks! Blind
    spot mirrors for lorries... damn good idea!

    Jon

    Halfords do small blindspot mirrors you glue into the
    existing mirror glass. Little wedge shaped things. Work
    very well, they're effective, and available from any
    halfords/car place.

    --

    Velvet

  15. Jon Senior said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    So, lesson learned with only damage to my pride. The
    busier the road, the more important it is to adopt
    the PRP

    If you must filter your way into the ASL (And take control
    of it!) do so to the right of the inside lane. That way
    you are less likely to be side-swiped in the event of the
    lights changing.

    Thus speaks the voice of (similarly close) experience.

    It seems such a common occurance. I'm amazed councils are
    still putting these left side feeder lanes in. Here in
    Southampton they've just painted them at the lights on
    Portswood High Street.

  16. Simonb [email hidden] opined the
    following...

    Quoted message said:

    It seems such a common occurance. I'm amazed councils are
    still putting these left side feeder lanes in. Here in
    Southampton they've just painted them at the lights on
    Portswood High Street.

    As I understand it from other comments here, the feeder is
    necessary to legally allow bikes to cross the first stop
    line. I'm not sure whether this means that you actually have
    to cross it there, or whether the presence of the feeder
    allows you to cross it anywhere. I prefer the latter
    solution as the former is likely to be fatal.

    Jon

  17. Jon Senior said:

    If you must filter your way into the ASL (And take control
    of it!) do so to the right of the inside lane. That way
    you are less likely to be side-swiped in the event of the
    lights changing.

    I recently persuaded the guys at our council to put in a
    centre feeder to the ASL at a newly-signalised junction
    where there are two lanes and you can't go straight on. They
    had planned a nearside feeder.

    It mainly works, but more motor vehicles go right than left,
    so some of the more impatient drivers turn right, usually
    without signalling, from the left hand lane. Will try to get
    some arrows painted on, but other ideas are welcome.

    Colin McKenzie

    --
    The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that it
    leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

  18. Colin McKenzie [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently persuaded the guys at our council to put in a
    centre feeder to the ASL at a newly-signalised junction
    where there are two lanes and you can't go straight on.
    They had planned a nearside feeder.

    Good going.

    Quoted message said:

    It mainly works, but more motor vehicles go right than
    left, so some of the more impatient drivers turn right,
    usually without signalling, from the left hand lane. Will
    try to get some arrows painted on, but other ideas are
    welcome.

    I'm sure Mr Larrington will oblige!

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.