Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

I need a Cycling Computer, What's good?

Started by Wort · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,713 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 March 2004
Last activity
21 April 2004
Original author
Wort
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,713
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with my
    new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive
    cycle computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the Pacific
    North West causes all the electricals on the bikes here to
    fail in the end.

    Regards Wayne

  2. Quoted message said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    I've been using the CatEye Enduro II for several years, and
    it's been fine in the rain so far. It has all the features I
    need, and my only complaint with it is that the average
    speed reading doesn't work after about 28 hours without
    resetting. It cost about $30 at MEC, but I don't see it on
    their website now so I'm not sure if they still carry it.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then
    suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night,
    the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

  3. Wort said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    Cordless are not the least expensive to buy but they are the
    least expensive to own. A broken wire is the overwhelming
    cause of computer death (even cheap no-name computers are
    pretty reliable otherwise) and a wiring kit's half the cost
    of a new computer.

    My suggestion Cateye Cordless for trouble-free long life.

    Every brand has its advocate and detractors so I'm not
    saying this is the only or best choice. But we sell a ton of
    them, they don't come back and I see ten+ year old ones in
    use commonly.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Benjamin Lewis said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go
    with my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive
    cycle computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to
    break down after a couple of years. The steady rain in
    the Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the
    bikes here to fail in the end.

    I've been using the CatEye Enduro II for several years,
    and it's been fine in the rain so far. It has all the
    features I need, and my only complaint with it is that the
    average speed reading doesn't work after about 28 hours
    without resetting. It cost about $30 at MEC, but I don't
    see it on their website now so I'm not sure if they still
    carry it.

    My new MEC catalog shows them now carrying "Filzer" cycling
    computers.

    I don't know how these will compare to the CatEyes, but holy
    frijoles are they cheap: C$14.50 for a 10-function computer,
    C$24 for the wireless version!

    In general, I consider MEC's carriage of a product a
    suggestion it isn't complete [censored], though I'm not impressed
    by my Crank Bros. Speed Lever (deceased).

    Let's see...large pizza, wireless computer. Large pizza,
    wireless computer...
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden]
    sfu.cawiredcola President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  5. Ryan Cousineau said:

    Let's see...large pizza, wireless computer. Large pizza,
    wireless computer...

    After spending around 3 hours pulling ivy off a building
    today, right now I'd go for the pizza. On other days I might
    take a look at the computer before deciding.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then
    suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night,
    the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by A Muzi

    BWort said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    Cordless are not the least expensive to buy but they are the
    least expensive to own. A broken wire is the overwhelming
    cause of computer death (even cheap no-name computers are
    pretty reliable otherwise) and a wiring kit's half the cost
    of a new computer.

    My suggestion Cateye Cordless for trouble-free long life.

    Every brand has its advocate and detractors so I'm not
    saying this is the only or best choice. But we sell a ton of
    them, they don't come back and I see ten+ year old ones in
    use commonly.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971 [/B]

    Dear Andrew,

    I use the $12.95 corded models from Nashbar.

    They come with two complete mounting cords,
    magnets, and so forth. The idea is to swap the
    computer between a road and a mountain bike,
    but I just like having the spare cord and mounting
    stuff.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6158

    The display package has utterly inappropriate
    1950's line art.

    To deal with the terrible dampness here in Pueblo,
    where water occasionally falls from the normally
    sunny skies, I place a baggie over the computer,
    snap a rubber band around it, snug the plastic
    tight over the display, and trim the edges raggedly
    with a pair of scissors. When the display becomes
    hard to read, I splurge and mount a new baggie.

    The display reads in roughly half-mph increments
    and seems quite accurate, as does the trip odometer,
    which shows that the ticket hut at the state park is
    about 6.00 miles from the second expansion joint
    in my driveway and that my whole daily ride is about
    15.24 to 15.26 miles. The elapsed time is usually
    within a second of my wrist-watch's stop-watch,
    which is reasonable, given how slow I am to punch
    the buttons.

    Carl Fogel

  7. Benjamin Lewis said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to
    break down after a couple of years. The steady rain in
    the Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the
    bikes here to fail in the end.

    I've been using the CatEye Enduro II for several years,
    and it's been fine in the rain so far. It has all the
    features I need, and my only complaint with it is that the
    average speed reading doesn't work after about 28 hours
    without resetting. It cost about $30 at MEC, but I don't
    see it on their website now so I'm not sure if they still
    carry it.

    I've got two Enduro IIs. Good piece of gear and available
    for under $20 if you look hard enough. It's effective,
    inexpensive, and does most of what you want. It really all
    depends what you like and want to see on the screen. For a
    cheap, wired, basic cyclem computer the enduro is great.
    Same computer as the Mity 3 I think, with a more rugged cord
    for offroad use.

    Tom

  8. I have CicloMasters on both my tourer and my ATB and I
    love em. CicloSport even makes a wireless version that you
    wear on you wrist like a watch. It has all bike and
    altimeter functions, including road gradient (just how
    steep IS this hill?!).

    They're available at

    nashbar.comnashbar.com

    but be warned, they're not cheap!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner geocities.comczcorner

  9. tcmedara said:
    Benjamin Lewis said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go
    with my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive
    cycle computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to
    break down after a couple of years. The steady rain in
    the Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the
    bikes here to fail in the end.

    I've been using the CatEye Enduro II for several years,
    and it's been fine in the rain so far. It has all the
    features I need, and my only complaint with it is that
    the average speed reading doesn't work after about 28
    hours without resetting. It cost about $30 at MEC, but I
    don't see it on their website now so I'm not sure if they
    still carry it.

    I've got two Enduro IIs. Good piece of gear and available
    for under $20 if you look hard enough. It's effective,
    inexpensive, and does most of what you want. It really all
    depends what you like and want to see on the screen. For a
    cheap, wired, basic cyclem computer the enduro is great.
    Same computer as the Mity 3 I think, with a more rugged
    cord for offroad use.

    Tom

    Mity 3 on sale @Nashbar for 14.99 tinyurl.com3gsb4

  10. A Muzi said:

    Cordless are not the least expensive to buy but they are
    the least expensive to own. A broken wire is the
    overwhelming cause of computer death (even cheap no-name
    computers are pretty reliable otherwise) and a wiring
    kit's half the cost of a new computer.

    My suggestion Cateye Cordless for trouble-free long life.

    Every brand has its advocate and detractors so I'm not
    saying this is the only or best choice. But we sell a ton
    of them, they don't come back and I see ten+ year old ones
    in use commonly.

    Does the CatEye Cordless have a range of at least 30
    inches (76 cm) and would the sensor mount to an airfoil
    shaped cross-section strut with a perimeter length of 5
    inches (12-1/2 cm)?

    My only real dislike of CatEye computers is that the
    mounting system used for the wheel magnet does not work too
    well with the spoke pattern on small diameter wheels -
    single spoke mount magnets are much easier to install.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  11. Wort <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    Regards Wayne

    Hi, another vote for CatEye, but I like the Astrale 8 which
    includes cadence. It seems like Nashbar is having a sale, so
    now would be the time to buy. Here, take a look: www-www-
    .nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0307&-
    sku=8684&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    I have a Sigma Sport Targa on my older road bike and was
    going to stick with Sigma Sport. My LBS mechanic,
    recommended the CatEye, saying that they have had problems
    with the Sigma, but not with the Cat. Although if you can
    find a SS Targa, it has a heavy duty cable designed for off
    road use and to be mounted on the stem. No cadence though.
    Cadence is one of those things, that when you have it, I
    think you will find it a worthwhile addition. I learned a
    lot about the way I ride and I think it has helped me to
    ride more efficiently.

    Life is Good! Jeff

  12. none-<< I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go
    with my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer? >><BR><BR>

    Cateye Mity 8.....

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  13. I just got a new computer last summer. I was using a Specialized, not sure
    which model it lasted 9 seasons of hard use. I replaced it with a Planet
    Bike Protege 9.0. Fairly cheat at around $20 and has several nice features.
    Here is a link to their website. planetbike.comcomputers.html
    Not I must say I live in Wisconsin and like the idea of buying a product
    from a Wisconsin company.
    "Wort" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    Regards Wayne

  14. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    I like CatEye because they seem to maintain the same
    mounting/computer interface across many models. That
    could be relevant to your situation insofar as when
    replacing the computer you might avoid the hassle of re-
    mounting the pickup.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  15. A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    [email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Cordless are not the least expensive to buy but they are
    the least expensive to own. A broken wire is the
    overwhelming cause of computer death (even cheap no-name
    computers are pretty reliable otherwise) and a wiring
    kit's half the cost of a new computer.

    My suggestion Cateye Cordless for trouble-free long life.

    My Echowell W2 cordless was significantly cheaper than the
    Cateye and thus far hasn't missed a beat. True, it's not ten
    years old but I still think Cateye are overpriced.

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    bettybowers.commelgibsonpassion.html

  16. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Cordless are not the least expensive to buy but they are
    the least expensive to own. A broken wire is the
    overwhelming cause of computer death (even cheap no-name
    computers are pretty reliable otherwise) and a wiring kit's
    half the cost of a new computer.

    My suggestion Cateye Cordless for trouble-free long life

    CatEye also makes a heavier-duty cord. My guess is that
    they'd call it the "MTB" version. Those are the ones I
    prefer - having parted a couple of the regular ones.

    How is battery life on the wireless transmitters? I tried
    one once, but the fork crown seemed to block the signal
    and I lost interst... But it *does* seem to be a more
    elegant solution.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  17. tcmedara said:
    tcmedara said:
    Benjamin Lewis said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    > I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go
    > with my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.
    >
    > What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive
    > cycle computer?
    >
    > Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to
    > break down after a couple of years. The steady rain in
    > the Pacific North West causes all the electricals on
    > the bikes here to fail in the end.

    I've been using the CatEye Enduro II for several years,
    and it's been fine in the rain so far. It has all the
    features I need, and my only complaint with it is that
    the average speed reading doesn't work after about 28
    hours without resetting. It cost about $30 at MEC, but I
    don't see it on their website now so I'm not sure if
    they still carry it.

    I've got two Enduro IIs. Good piece of gear and available
    for under $20 if you look hard enough. It's effective,
    inexpensive, and does most of what you want. It really
    all depends what you like and want to see on the screen.
    For a cheap, wired, basic cyclem computer the enduro is
    great. Same computer as the Mity 3 I think, with a more
    rugged cord for offroad use.

    Tom

    Mity 3 on sale @Nashbar for 14.99 tinyurl.com3gsb4

    Does the Dual trip distance function store the elapsed time
    for the trips? For calorie analysis having a CAST function
    is nice for those slower heavy traffic stretches. Of course
    then you have to remember to set the trip again to add
    mileage in the other wind direction.

  18. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mity 3 on sale @Nashbar for 14.99
    tinyurl.com3gsb4

    Does the Dual trip distance function store the elapsed
    time for the trips?

    No, there's only the single elapsed time readout.

    You can find the manual for the mity2/enduro2 here:
    cateye.commanuals.php

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Now is the time for all good men to come to.
    -- Walt Kelly

  19. CatEye Enduro II. Or whatever the new name for this computer
    is. Something 7 or 8 or 9. Same computer, just different
    style. I really like the extra heavy wire for the Enduro II.
    Very easy to run up the fork. I use this heavy duty mounting
    kit on all of my bikes except the fixed gear which I tried
    to do cheap by using an extra Mity 3 mounting wire. Just
    switch the computer head between the road bikes. The
    mountain bike has its own computer head. All of my CatEye
    computers, Micro II, Enduro II, Mity 3, AT100, all share the
    same mounting system so can be moved to any of the bikes.

    Never heard of a CatEye computer not working in the
    rain. I've ridden many miles in the rain without
    putting any plastic bag over the top. The computer just
    keeps on working.

    Long ago I had the CatEye Micro II with cadence. I had to
    replace the battery in it once over a decade. Have not
    replaced batteries in any other CatEye computer. I replaced
    the Micro II because I decided to do away with the cadence
    wire. Computer still worked fine after a decade.

    Brother uses the CatEye cordless. The transmitter head on
    the fork has come off several times. I don't recommend the
    cordless computers.

    I also tried the CatEye AT100 computer with altimeter. I
    don't recommend this one. It would give goofy mph readings
    often enough to bother me. I'm pretty sure I was not going
    60mph on the flat. None of my other CatEyes ever did this so
    it might be due to the altimeter circuitry in this model.

    Last summer I bought a Mity 3 computer and the Enduro II
    mounting bracket for about $16 from Nashbar or Performance
    on sale. I can't complain when I can get my favorite
    computer (Mity 3/Enduro II) with a leftover mounting bracket
    and my favorite mounting bracket (Enduro II) for $16.

    Wort <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I was going to purchase a Campgnolo Ergo Brain to go with
    my new bike, but the cost is just too darn high.

    What can you recommend as an effective, inexpensive cycle
    computer?

    Don't want to spend too much as these things seem to break
    down after a couple of years. The steady rain in the
    Pacific North West causes all the electricals on the bikes
    here to fail in the end.

    Regards Wayne

  20. My preference is the Avocet 45tt (no cadence). I greatly
    prefer the UI to other cycling computers I've tried,
    including Vetta, Sigma, and Cateye.

    IIRC, Jobst Brandt had a role in designing the Avocet
    cycling computers, perhaps even the lead designer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.