Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

I need Baja by bicycle advice

Started by Eric Webster · · Last activity · 6 posts · 926 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 October 2003
Last activity
26 October 2003
Original author
Eric Webster
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
926
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that has
    done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes, carrying
    water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    Thanks, Eric

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that has
    done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes, carrying
    water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    1. you might have a better chance of responses if you post this in ".Rides".
    2. where?
    3. Hwy 1 sucks thanks to NAFTA. [censored] from CA suck. [censored] from AZ suck. (last done in '95 and
    can't see any reason for it getting better.)
    4. the locals were (are?) great, including the bus drivers and truckers.

  3. [email hidden] (B.C. Cletta) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that
    has done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes,
    carrying water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    1. you might have a better chance of responses if you post this in ".Rides".
    2. where?
    3. Hwy 1 sucks thanks to NAFTA. [censored] from CA suck. [censored] from AZ suck. (last done in '95
    and can't see any reason for it getting better.)
    4. the locals were (are?) great, including the bus drivers and truckers.

    Dear B.C.,

    The locals were great in 1972. I'm still paying off my debt to some kindly truckers, who got me out
    of a bad spot.

    Do you think that their secret might have something to do with not thinking of everyone else
    as [censored]?

    Carl Fogel

  4. Thanks, I will post on "rides."

    Why has NAFTA changed things in Baja? More vehicle traffic?

    Thanks, Eric

    [email hidden] (B.C. Cletta) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that
    has done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes,
    carrying water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    1. you might have a better chance of responses if you post this in ".Rides".
    2. where?
    3. Hwy 1 sucks thanks to NAFTA. [censored] from CA suck. [censored] from AZ suck. (last done in '95
    and can't see any reason for it getting better.)
    4. the locals were (are?) great, including the bus drivers and truckers.

  5. [email hidden] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (B.C. Cletta) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that
    has done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes,
    carrying water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    1. you might have a better chance of responses if you post this in ".Rides".
    2. where?
    3. Hwy 1 sucks thanks to NAFTA. [censored] from CA suck. [censored] from AZ suck. (last done in '95
    and can't see any reason for it getting better.)
    4. the locals were (are?) great, including the bus drivers and truckers.

    Dear B.C.,

    The locals were great in 1972. I'm still paying off my debt to some kindly truckers, who got me
    out of a bad spot.

    Do you think that their secret might have something to do with not thinking of everyone else as
    [censored]?

    this was an empirical observation. the ass-wholes from CA & AZ lacked the mental skills to
    recognize that the two POS "highway" most likely did not meet the standards for the street in
    front of thier house let alone interstates & could not be safely travelled at +70-mph. in '72?
    sounds like you followed the asphalt trucks down. did you do it w/ Bonnie Wong? my first trip was
    in 84 or 85. the road between Todo Santos & Cabo wasn't paved.

  6. [email hidden] (Eric Webster) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, I will post on "rides."

    Why has NAFTA changed things in Baja? More vehicle traffic?

    Thanks, Eric

    [email hidden] (B.C. Cletta) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I want to bicycle tour in Baja california, in a few months. Is there anyone out there that
    has done it that I could correspond with? I need advice regarding equipment (tires, tubes,
    carrying water, etc.). I have toured in the past, but not in the desert.

    1. you might have a better chance of responses if you post this in ".Rides".
    2. where?
    3. Hwy 1 sucks thanks to NAFTA. [censored] from CA suck. [censored] from AZ suck. (last done in '95
    and can't see any reason for it getting better.)
    4. the locals were (are?) great, including the bus drivers and truckers.

    Dear B.C.,

    I saw no asphalt in 1972, nor any bicycles--it was motorcycling back then. The only traffic was a
    kindly hunting guide pursuing mountain sheep in an elderly Willys jeep, who donated a vulcanizing
    repair kit, and a trio of truckers who appeared out of nowhere, ten minutes after the bead finally
    ripped out of my flat rear tire after 180 miles of abuse. We met no one else.

    (A few improbable nails, all our spare tubes, a next-to-useless Dunlop patch kit, and the only spare
    tube in Bahia Los Angeles afforded me the entertainment of changing the same rear tire a total of
    seventeen times in two days. I'm trying to work up the courage to try patching inner tubes again,
    but for some reason I just can't bear it--I carry spare bicycle tubes now.)

    Throughout my visit, I was assured that Baja's roads had improved since 1968. The roads were
    actually just ordinary desert roads winding along the mountains, no challenge at all outside the
    rainy season--only speed or damaged equipment made them difficult. After all, diesel trucks had been
    creeping up and down the peninsula for years.

    Luckily, I hadn't yet read Steinbeck's "Log of the Sea of Cortez," so I didn't realize that the
    fellows who went fishing were probably having a much better time.

    Carl Fogel

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.