General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I need help - Herbal Opinions

Started by Daniel James · · Last activity · 9 posts · 187 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 April 2006
Last activity
13 April 2006
Original author
Daniel James
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
187
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey there folks

    I'm a programmer and I've been writing code for websites for years.
    Girlfriend I recently moved in with (nearly 2 years now) has been a
    HUGE supporter of natural medicine and remedies, and I've taken nearly
    2 years to be convinced of their powers and abilities.

    For a while though, I've noticed that there's no great place to find
    real world opinions on what works or what doesn't. I mean REAL people
    who tried something and it worked for X very well.

    Anyway, I'm designing a site that does just that. It's in Beta 4 right
    now and I'd like to be ready for a public launch (letting real people
    use it) on the easter weekend.

    If there's anyone who wants to help, offer advice, or their opinions
    (good or bad) toward the idea, the overall layout or concept, post here
    or e-mail me personally, I could really use this. And if my idea is as
    good as I think it is, then many others could really use this too.

    The beautiful thing is that the FDA and many places out there don't
    generally like or support herbal remedies and cures. BUT... If we had a
    "database" similar to e-opinions.com of reviews or opinions on various
    herbs, vitamins, supplements and how well they performed and for what
    illnesses and problems, it would be very useful to decide which really
    did work and which didn't work so well.

    Am I off base? Drop me a line. **ANY** comments are truly appreciated.
    if you e-mail me, I'll send you a link to the test site so I can get
    feedback.

    Daniel J D.
    [email hidden]

  2. "Daniel James" <[email hidden]> wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there folks

    I'm a programmer and I've been writing code for websites for years.
    Girlfriend I recently moved in with (nearly 2 years now) has been a
    HUGE supporter of natural medicine and remedies, and I've taken nearly
    2 years to be convinced of their powers and abilities.

    For a while though, I've noticed that there's no great place to find
    real world opinions on what works or what doesn't. I mean REAL people
    who tried something and it worked for X very well.

    Impossible. N = 1. Anecdote. Look it up.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I'm designing a site that does just that. It's in Beta 4 right
    now and I'd like to be ready for a public launch (letting real people
    use it) on the easter weekend.

    If there's anyone who wants to help, offer advice, or their opinions
    (good or bad) toward the idea, the overall layout or concept, post here
    or e-mail me personally, I could really use this. And if my idea is as
    good as I think it is, then many others could really use this too.

    The beautiful thing is that the FDA and many places out there don't
    generally like or support herbal remedies and cures. BUT... If we had a
    "database" similar to e-opinions.com of reviews or opinions on various
    herbs, vitamins, supplements and how well they performed and for what
    illnesses and problems, it would be very useful to decide which really
    did work and which didn't work so well.

    Am I off base?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Drop me a line. **ANY** comments are truly appreciated.
    if you e-mail me, I'll send you a link to the test site so I can get
    feedback.

    Daniel J D.
    [email hidden]


    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email hidden]

  3. It has already been done a thousand times before.

    Unless you intend to make it a full time job, there is no way you are
    going to be able to offer anything of value to anyone.

  4. Daniel James said:

    Hey there folks

    I'm a programmer and I've been writing code for websites for years.
    Girlfriend I recently moved in with (nearly 2 years now) has been a
    HUGE supporter of natural medicine and remedies, and I've taken nearly
    2 years to be convinced of their powers and abilities.

    For a while though, I've noticed that there's no great place to find
    real world opinions on what works or what doesn't. I mean REAL people
    who tried something and it worked for X very well.

    Anyway, I'm designing a site that does just that. It's in Beta 4 right
    now and I'd like to be ready for a public launch (letting real people
    use it) on the easter weekend.

    If there's anyone who wants to help, offer advice, or their opinions
    (good or bad) toward the idea, the overall layout or concept, post here
    or e-mail me personally, I could really use this. And if my idea is as
    good as I think it is, then many others could really use this too.

    The beautiful thing is that the FDA and many places out there don't
    generally like or support herbal remedies and cures. BUT... If we had a
    "database" similar to e-opinions.com of reviews or opinions on various
    herbs, vitamins, supplements and how well they performed and for what
    illnesses and problems, it would be very useful to decide which really
    did work and which didn't work so well.

    Am I off base? Drop me a line. **ANY** comments are truly appreciated.
    if you e-mail me, I'll send you a link to the test site so I can get
    feedback.

    Daniel J D.
    [email hidden]

    Responses from industry-sponsored media grunts like Mr. Natural and
    others are typical in the newsgroups. It's their purpose to destroy
    any and all natural healing information resources, so it's safe to
    ignore them.

    PeterB

  5. Quoted message said:
    Daniel James said:

    Hey there folks

    I'm a programmer and I've been writing code for websites for years.
    Girlfriend I recently moved in with (nearly 2 years now) has been a
    HUGE supporter of natural medicine and remedies, and I've taken nearly
    2 years to be convinced of their powers and abilities.

    For a while though, I've noticed that there's no great place to find
    real world opinions on what works or what doesn't. I mean REAL people
    who tried something and it worked for X very well.

    Anyway, I'm designing a site that does just that. It's in Beta 4 right
    now and I'd like to be ready for a public launch (letting real people
    use it) on the easter weekend.

    If there's anyone who wants to help, offer advice, or their opinions
    (good or bad) toward the idea, the overall layout or concept, post here
    or e-mail me personally, I could really use this. And if my idea is as
    good as I think it is, then many others could really use this too.

    The beautiful thing is that the FDA and many places out there don't
    generally like or support herbal remedies and cures. BUT... If we had a
    "database" similar to e-opinions.com of reviews or opinions on various
    herbs, vitamins, supplements and how well they performed and for what
    illnesses and problems, it would be very useful to decide which really
    did work and which didn't work so well.

    Am I off base? Drop me a line. **ANY** comments are truly appreciated.
    if you e-mail me, I'll send you a link to the test site so I can get
    feedback.

    Daniel J D.
    [email hidden]

    Responses from industry-sponsored media grunts like Mr. Natural and
    others are typical in the newsgroups. It's their purpose to destroy
    any and all natural healing information resources, so it's safe to
    ignore them.

    PeterB

    No! I simply have great confidence in all the Kooks making the
    database totally useless unless the operator of the web site were to
    invest a great deal of time trying to clean the mess up.

  6. Mr. Natural-Health

    I have a small group of people who will be working hard to keep things
    clean.
    However it's an open source site no different than the Wikipedia or any
    other
    online community.

    The members I have hired to help keep things in line are also
    naturopaths
    who are going to write articles to help people.

    I'm just trying to get some feedback on the site itself, however I'm a
    bit worried
    about publishing the address of the site until it's completely
    polished.

    Dano

  7. Daniel James said:

    Mr. Natural-Health

    I have a small group of people who will be working hard to keep things
    clean.
    However it's an open source site no different than the Wikipedia or any
    other
    online community.

    The members I have hired to help keep things in line are also
    naturopaths
    who are going to write articles to help people.

    I'm just trying to get some feedback on the site itself, however I'm a
    bit worried
    about publishing the address of the site until it's completely
    polished.

    Speaking of Wikipedia, there are at least three Wikipedia clone sites
    on alternative medicine that were advertised on these ngs within the
    last year.

    I myself created a Wikiproject on Alternative Medicine on Wikipedia
    itself.

    All the Wiki clones are dead in the water. It is a full time job to
    promote any new web site. And, if you think people will come to your
    site in droves overnight, you are dreaming. It requires a great deal
    of promotion. And, it requires a web site with a lot more than a dozen
    articles.

    And, from my point of view none of the wiki clones are worth spending
    time on. Nobody will see your work. Wikipedia is visible in the
    search engines. The clones are anything, but.

    How will anyone know that you are serious? And, that your site will be
    around longer than 6 months?

  8. Mr. Natural-Health

    I appreciate the indepth detail you've gone into here and effort
    you've put into your post.

    I understand the work involved, I've been marketing websites on
    the internet for 7 years, so I'm not phased by what's ahead of me.

    I'm also not expecting an overnight success. I may clarify that I'm not
    curious or concerned about the business model itself, but more
    along the lines of getting a few people to contact me and
    have a look with some constructive comments or suggestions.

    Best Wishes,
    Daniel

  9. Daniel James said:

    I understand the work involved, I've been marketing websites on
    the internet for 7 years, so I'm not phased by what's ahead of me.

    Then I gather that you plan to make money on the web site? Great!
    But, this ng is not geared for for-profit operations.

    Further, I question your assumption that only the Kooks on the web
    would know what works and what does not. Just read any thread on this
    ng. I challenge you to find more than 2 people agreeing on anything.

    And, like I said there are a few databases out there. But, almost all
    of them are for profit operations. The web site pays a fee for putting
    a 3rd party health database on their web site. So, a lot of
    information is already out there. Whether or not any of that stuff
    actually works is another question.

    In my book, herbal medicine is still medicine. And, all medicine
    should ideally be used only on a temporary basis. Personally, I
    wouldn't consider taking a herbal supplement unless I was sick.

    And, as far as looks go. Commercial web sites, just like stores, are
    changing how they look all the time. I recall Weil's original web site
    changing its looks and URL's 3 times in just one year. That is when I
    STOP trying to link to Weil. It was simply too much work, trying to
    keep up with the lates URL.

    Hey, if you are programmer who knows what he is doing. Changing the
    looks of a website over night is fairly easy to do.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.