General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I need help with my pizza dough!

Started by Marc · · Last activity · 27 posts · 1,477 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 February 2004
Last activity
26 February 2004
Original author
Marc
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,477
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    Suggestions?

    Marc

  2. Marc said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    Suggestions?

    Marc

    Try using only 1/2 a packet of yeast, and leave out the sugar. That will slow the rise down and
    maybe it can develop more flavor. Also, let the dough rise and punch it down once or twice.

    Maybe it needs more salt. I use a generous 1/2 tsp of salt to 2 cups of flour.

    Bob

  3. "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    I don't proof the yeast when making pizza dough. I just dissolve it in cold water then start
    mounting the flour. I use about a teaspoon of salt and about 2 tablespoons of my best olive
    oil. Then let the dough rise in the fridge for 12-24 hours. That helps develop a really yeasty,
    tangy dough.

    Paul

  4. "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    Suggestions?

    Marc


    ==
    You didn't add anything to give it flavor--I add about 1/4 cup parmesan, a teaspoon or so of minced
    garlic and a little oregano to my two crust dough. I also use olive oil-- and much more than 1-2 T.
    Try an eighth (one crust) to a quarter cup (two crust) and reduce water accordingly. Brush crust
    with olive oil after baking as well. Pizza dough lends itself to creativity--sprinkle the edge of
    the crust w/parm. before baking. Try adding a little freshly chopped spinach to the dough in place
    of oregano.
    ==

  5. You can't beat the basic pizza recipe at www.theartisan.net.

    And. let the dough ferment overnight in the 'fridge - long slow fermentation adds a huge amount
    of flavor.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    Suggestions?

    Marc

  6. "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    Suggestions?

    Marc

    I add a little more yeast, salt and oil. Change your yeast - I use Bakipan brand with good success.

    -L.

  7. "Paul M. Cook©®" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't


    use

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rapid rise), 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any
    flavor. I read that you should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a
    better flavor.

    I don't proof the yeast when making pizza dough. I just dissolve it in


    cold

    Quoted message said:

    water then start mounting the flour. I use about a teaspoon of salt and about 2 tablespoons of my
    best olive oil. Then let the dough rise in the fridge for 12-24 hours. That helps develop a really
    yeasty, tangy dough.

    Paul

    I'll second the part about the long, slow rise in the fridge. I do that often and it does make for a
    much tastier dough.

    Paula

  8. "Brian Macke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gini said:

    I add about 1/4 cup parmesan, a teaspoon or so of minced garlic and a little oregano to my two
    crust dough. I also use olive oil-- and much more than 1-2 T. Try an eighth (one crust) to a
    quarter cup (two crust) and reduce water accordingly. Brush crust with olive oil after baking as
    well. Pizza dough lends itself to creativity--sprinkle the edge of the crust w/parm. before
    baking. Try adding a little freshly chopped spinach to the dough in place of oregano.

    That looks very California. For those of us feeling Minnesota, I'd like to point out that the OP
    had a perfectly respectable combination of ingredients.

    Some of my best pizzas have had nothing more than yeast, water, flour, salt, and olive oil.
    Sometimes I add sugar, milk, or cornmeal depending on what the crust needs to do.

    If you want those kinds of flavors, put them on top of the pizza. Putting them in the crust is
    best left to places like Pizza Hut.


    ==
    Good grief--The OP wants flavor. I gave him flavor. Your pizza dough preferences are simply *your*
    preferences which may/may not be his preferences. I am not aware of any law forbidding pizza crust
    creativity. Geez--Lighten up.
    ==
    ==

    Quoted message said:


    --
    -Brian James Macke [email hidden] "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first
    get that


    which

    Quoted message said:

    builds it." -- Unknown

  9. Paul that's what I try to do when I am organized. What is your ratio of
    flour to water, and how much yeast do you use?
    My usual is:

    1.25 cups H20 3 cups flour 1 tsp yeast
    2/2 tsp salt 1 TBS flour

    Cheers, Kent

    Paul M. Cook©® said:


    "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't use the rapid rise), 1 tsp
    sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls). I just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you
    should use regular yeast instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    I don't proof the yeast when making pizza dough. I just dissolve it in cold water then start
    mounting the flour. I use about a teaspoon of salt and about 2 tablespoons of my best olive
    oil. Then let the dough rise in the fridge for 12-24 hours. That helps develop a really yeasty,
    tangy dough.

    Paul

  10. I use about 1.75 cups of water, 2 packages yeast, teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and usually
    6-7 cups of flour. I like to make enough dough for 2 pizzas at a time. I often make calzone with the
    remainder.

    Paul

    "Kent H." <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Paul that's what I try to do when I am organized. What is your ratio of flour to water, and how
    much yeast do you use? My usual is:

    1.25 cups H20 3 cups flour 1 tsp yeast
    1/2 tsp salt 1 TBS flour

    Cheers, Kent

    Paul M. Cook©® said:


    "Marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a basic recipe 3 c flour, 1 cup water, 1 pkg yeast (and I didn't


    use

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rapid rise), 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and oil (approx 1-2 tbls).


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    just doesn't have any flavor. I read that you should use regular


    yeast

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    instead of rapid rise because it builds a better flavor.

    I don't proof the yeast when making pizza dough. I just dissolve it in


    cold

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    water then start mounting the flour. I use about a teaspoon of salt and about 2 tablespoons of
    my best olive oil. Then let the dough rise in


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fridge for 12-24 hours. That helps develop a really yeasty, tangy


    dough.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Paul

  11. Ok, tell me what the milk or cornmeal does to the dough. I use this general recipe but sometimes
    would like a crisper (on the outside) crust. Does cornmeal do that and if so how much? Anita

    Quoted message said:

    Some of my best pizzas have had nothing more than yeast, water, flour, salt, and olive oil.
    Sometimes I add sugar, milk, or cornmeal depending on what the crust needs to do.

  12. Wow! Your pizzas must be big! I use 2 cups flour to make 2 pizzas, and they are not small,
    just thin.

    il Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:43:28 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®" ha scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    I use about 1.75 cups of water, 2 packages yeast, teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and
    usually 6-7 cups of flour. I like to make enough dough for 2 pizzas at a time. I often make
    calzone with the remainder.

    Paul

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  13. il Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:23:31 GMT, "mondaymorning" ha scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, tell me what the milk or cornmeal does to the dough. I use this general recipe but sometimes
    would like a crisper (on the outside) crust. Does cornmeal do that and if so how much? Anita

    Milk is a crust softener. Eggs also soften the crust. That's when in with the mix I guess. Not sure
    what they do as a glaze besides increase browning.
    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  14. "Loki" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Wow! Your pizzas must be big! I use 2 cups flour to make 2 pizzas, and they are not small,
    just thin.

    il Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:43:28 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®" ha scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    I use about 1.75 cups of water, 2 packages yeast, teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and
    usually 6-7 cups of flour. I like to make enough dough for 2 pizzas at a time. I often make
    calzone with the remainder.

    Paul


    Thin may be the qualifier here. I often use a recipe that calls for 3 cups flour and make one 15-16"
    deep dish pizza.

    Wayne

  15. Yep - huge. I love leftovers. My calzones could feed 6 people. Plus I can also make garlic twists
    and what have you with it.

    Paul

    "Loki" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:9544887295951953.NC-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wow! Your pizzas must be big! I use 2 cups flour to make 2 pizzas, and they are not small,
    just thin.

    il Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:43:28 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®" ha scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    I use about 1.75 cups of water, 2 packages yeast, teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and
    usually 6-7 cups of flour. I like to make


    enough

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dough for 2 pizzas at a time. I often make calzone with the remainder.

    Paul

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  16. "Brian Macke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gini said:

    Good grief--The OP wants flavor. I gave him flavor. Your pizza dough preferences are simply
    *your* preferences which may/may not be his preferences. I am not aware of any law forbidding
    pizza crust creativity. Geez--Lighten up.

    No laws, no, but they could lead to problems.

    parmesan -- likely to burn in an oven above 425F garlic -- increases water and oil ratio thus
    could lead to weaker crust more olive oil -- again, makes a weaker crust. spinach -- burn and
    break risks.

    The oregano is the most likely to not impact a dough, but by itself it's not that helpful.

    I bet rosemary would be good. As for structural concerns, good grief does this dough have to be
    engineered to withstand a 747 flying into it or something? A little experimentation would tell the
    story as to whether a given additive is acceptable.

    Personally I love the pizzas that have cheese in the outer rim. Yeah I know, it's soooo Pizza Hut.

  17. "Dan Levy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Brian Macke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gini said:

    Good grief--The OP wants flavor. I gave him flavor. Your pizza dough preferences are simply
    *your* preferences which may/may not be his preferences. I am not aware of any law forbidding
    pizza crust creativity. Geez--Lighten up.

    No laws, no, but they could lead to problems.

    parmesan -- likely to burn in an oven above 425F garlic -- increases water and oil ratio thus
    could lead to weaker crust more olive oil -- again, makes a weaker crust. spinach -- burn and
    break risks.

    The oregano is the most likely to not impact a dough, but by itself it's not that helpful.

    I bet rosemary would be good. As for structural concerns, good grief does this dough have to be
    engineered to withstand a 747 flying into it or something? A little experimentation would tell the
    story as to whether a given additive is acceptable.


    ==
    Actually, I have made pizza crusts for years with said additives without incident. In fact, many
    have praised my crusts as the best they've ever had. Methinks Brian was just in a slump when he
    posted his warnings. I'm sure he's had time to reflect and see the error of his ways ;-).
    ==

    Quoted message said:


    Personally I love the pizzas that have cheese in the outer rim. Yeah I know, it's soooo Pizza Hut.

  18. Gini said:

    "Dan Levy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Brian Macke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:20:14 -0500, Gini wrote:

    >Good grief--The OP wants flavor. I gave him flavor. Your pizza dough preferences are simply
    >*your* preferences which may/may not be his preferences. I am not aware of any law forbidding
    >pizza crust creativity. Geez--Lighten up.

    No laws, no, but they could lead to problems.

    parmesan -- likely to burn in an oven above 425F garlic -- increases water and oil ratio thus
    could lead to weaker crust more olive oil -- again, makes a weaker crust. spinach -- burn and
    break risks.

    The oregano is the most likely to not impact a dough, but by itself it's not that helpful.

    I bet rosemary would be good. As for structural concerns, good grief does this dough have to be
    engineered to withstand a 747 flying into it or something? A little experimentation would tell the
    story as to whether a given additive is acceptable.

    ==
    Actually, I have made pizza crusts for years with said additives without incident. In fact, many
    have praised my crusts as the best they've ever had. Methinks Brian was just in a slump when he
    posted his warnings. I'm sure he's had time to reflect and see the error of his ways ;-).
    ==

    Quoted message said:

    Personally I love the pizzas that have cheese in the outer rim. Yeah I know, it's soooo Pizza Hut.


    I don't see anything wrong with adding stuff to the dough, but it would probably be better to
    *first* work on getting the plain dough to taste good.

    I think the original poster's dough just needed a longer rise time, and maybe more salt.

    Best regards, Bob

  19. What about the cornmeal? What does it do to the crust.?

  20. il Sat, 21 Feb 2004 03:39:42 GMT, "mondaymorning" ha scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    What about the cornmeal? What does it do to the crust.?

    Add yellow gritty bits?

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.