Bike Cafe · Public discussion

I offended another cyclist yesterday! :-(

Started by Mr. Beanz · · Last activity · 28 posts · 4,289 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
10 January 2016
Last activity
2 May 2016
Original author
Mr. Beanz
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,289
Views / 30 days
13
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We were stopped at Edna Park when some dude rolled up on a bike wearing a Hearst Castle Bike ride jersey. Nice colors so Gina noticed it and pointed it out. He was so happy being the spotlight of the show. 😎

    He went on to tell us how his company sponsored like 10 people to do the ride. It's a fun raising ride, $50 or so to register but need to raise $1500 minimum donation per rider.

    He said the company he worked for paid for 10 admissions and put up the $1500 for each rider as well. He went on and on about how his company did this and that for them blah blah blah! He seemed really proud of his company. Turns out he worked for ARCO.

    So I was just kidding and said,"yeah I noticed right around that time the price of gas shot up, probably to pay for your fees!". Image in I offended another cyclist yesterday! :-(

    He got really defensive and started going on how ARCO gas was cheaper than everybody else.

    Hey I was only joking man! Image in I offended another cyclist yesterday! :-( Gina said I was mean! :p

  2. Sounded like the guy was a little up his own end to me stating how much was needed to be raised per rider minimum.

    We have a big brewery in town with most of the higher ups bragging about their exclusive parties and exclusive events that only the best of the best can attend and constantly belittling anyone who looks worth a pound less than them. Jerks most of those guys are🙄

  3. I think he was probably just a thin-skinned braggadocio.

    But, good on ARCO (I love "big oil"!) for kicking in $15,000 for a charity...unless it was one of those gay transgender pride things. That would just be wrong.

    Hmmmmm...if I had a dollar for every cyclist I [censored] over the last 44 years I could retire on my own island in the South Pacific (The Almighty Republic of CampyBob) and pave most of the island over with roads to hold my own Pro Tour 3-week Grand Tour race on.

  4. I make a living pissing people off. It is a simple life but simple things are rewarding. On the up side you may never see this dude again so why fret?

  5. You guys still paying more than $3 a gallon out there, Beanz? My jaw dropped when I saw the price leaving LAX a couple of weeks ago. It's under $1.90 here.

  6. mpre53 said:

    You guys still paying more than $3 a gallon out there, Beanz? My jaw dropped when I saw the price leaving LAX a couple of weeks ago. It's under $1.90 here.


    2.70....sucks was 2.40 a day before Christmas.

  7. I paid $1.79.9 today. And road diesel is around $2.

    If that offends some solar/wind/geothermal/tidal energy people...suck it.

  8. Haha some people have very short fuses. Maybe something is up at his company why he is so defensive anyway

  9. I've come across these types of folks. I've even got someone in my social circle who keeps on bragging about the company he works for. This can get really annoying. There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's work or company but it's not necessary to make such a big deal about it.

  10. jhuskey said:

    I make a living pissing people off. It is a simple life but simple things are rewarding. On the up side you may never see this dude again so why fret?

    Now that I'm retired I have a good time breaking the jaw of people that think it's fun to insult people. Strange how few people insult others around me now.

  11. cyclintom said:

    Now that I'm retired I have a good time breaking the jaw of people that think it's fun to insult people. Strange how few people insult others around me now.

    You don't have to insult people to make them angry. Just telling them "no" generally is enough.

  12. The most offensive thing you can do to most cyclists is beat them up a hill or in a sprint.

  13. I hate some cyclists for these reasons:
    1) no road etiquite;
    2) inadequate or non-existant illumination when night riding.

  14. Mannu said:

    I hate some cyclists for these reasons:
    1) no road etiquite;
    2) inadequate or non-existant illumination when night riding.

    I don't hate them, but I do feel bad about them. They make the rest of us look bad as well. I try and remember that when I ride I'm also acting as an ambassador of cycling, in that the impression I leave with them reflects on all other cyclists also.

  15. Some drivers are a-holes . A guy was yelling at me this morning" get outta my way or I will run you down". I looked back and explained, dude I am on a stationary trainer and this is my basement.

  16. jhuskey said:

    Some drivers are a-holes . A guy was yelling at me this morning" get outta my way or I will run you down". I looked back and explained, dude I am on a stationary trainer and this is my basement.

    Reminds me of that exchange between a US Navy warship and a Canadian lighthouse 😉

    Interestingly I had a woman yell at me like a banshee screaming at me to move in a traffic jam when there was nowhere to move to...I sometimes think she might have been on drugs.

  17. Some people are too into themselves. o_O

  18. When I read the title of your thread I thought you were a mean person but still I didn't want to judge or say something I shouldn't. I believe we should not offend other people in general. On the contrary, we should make new friends and be as nice as we can ... While we can. However, what you did cannot be put in a group of mild sarcasm. It is not offensive, it is merely a joke. I'd say it was an observation and he got defensive because he knows it was the truth.

  19. I don't like violence.Very glad to see it is only a joke when I chick the title

  20. jhuskey said:

    Some drivers are a-holes . A guy was yelling at me this morning" get outta my way or I will run you down". I looked back and explained, dude I am on a stationary trainer and this is my basement.

    I am having a hard time figuring out how that dude got a automobile down in your basement?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.