Road Cycling · Public discussion

I ran over a squirrel

Started by Stp · · Last activity · 69 posts · 6,097 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 October 2003
Last activity
23 October 2003
Original author
Stp
Posts
69
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,097
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 69
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. H. M. Leary wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (AJRBJR) wrote:
    ::
    ::: Squirrels, chipmunks? I went after BIG game. No, really. I was screaming down a hill on a forest
    ::: preserve path and a deer shot out just ahead. It wasn't close but I instantly remembered that
    ::: you always hit that SECOND one. I hit the breaks and sure enough, the next one passed right in
    ::: front of me. I think I (and my bike) would have lost that battle.
    :::
    ::: Andy
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: If you are out for big game, come ride the MUP in Valley Forge National Park. I was chased by a
    :: large buck around 8AM today! I never pedaled so hard in my life, and that was not easy
    :: considering my heart was in my mouth.
    ::
    :: The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    Gawd....I'm sure he would have ran me down! I can't get over 20 mph on flat ground, I think, or at
    least I haven't yet.

  2. Michael said:

    No, she didn't dart out into the road, but she did stop on her bike right in the roadway, with
    no verbal warning or other indication. At that moment I was looking down. I plowed into her at
    16+ mph.

    Were you right behind her at the time, or did you really just plow into someone standing still? What
    was the "moment" you spoke of? How long was she stopped before you hit her?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
    stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
    morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

  3. Quoted message said:

    Squirrels are funny. I've dodged a lot of them out riding by myself. They will run out in the road,
    see something coming at them and dodge repeatedly in different directions. Its like they can't make
    up their (albiet tiny) minds which way to run.

    I believe they may be looking for a vertical escape path. Sometimes that can be your wheel. They
    abound in my area, and while I don't think I've ever killed one, I may have inadvertently
    damaged a few.

    They are fun to watch when not on a bicycle, however. A highly aggressive and fearless small mammal,
    not unlike one of my former girlfriends.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  4. O

    Quoted message said:

    If you are out for big game, come ride the MUP in Valley Forge National Park. I was chased by a
    large buck around 8AM today! I never pedaled so hard in my life, and that was not easy considering
    my heart was in my mouth.

    The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    I had the same thing with a doberman on a city street. I was already winded and I was afraid of I
    went too fast I would run out before he did. I was right I kept ahead of him till he slowed. about 3
    or 4 blocks later I came to a red light. turned back and he was after me again so I had to run the
    light (not a busy intersection) and finally he gave up. no water bottle to squirt him with as I have
    a camelback.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  5. O

    Quoted message said:

    The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    especially if he found you attractive (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  6. Pbwalther said:


    I recall being in a paceline and someone shied from a squirrel. Edwina, who is a bit of a
    berserker, said to never dodge a squirrel, just run 'em down, they can't bring down a bike.

    Well, I did have a chance to inadvertantly test that one. I was riding on a trail with a friend. A
    squirrel dashed across the road, saw the other bike, reversed and smack right into my front wheel.
    It got sucked into the spokes and fork and was sawed in half. That was just about the grossest
    thing that I have had happen on a bike. Fortunately, for me, not the squirrel, I had a full water
    bottle and was able to hose the blood and squirrel bits off of the bike, my shoes, my legs ---
    yuck. It didn't hurt my fork at all, but there was a spoke that had seen better days.

    SEE?

    --
    Bev
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke
    up in a bathtub filled with ice and I had an extra kidney."

  7. Last week I was chased by a killer chihuahua. After half a block I got tired of the yapping, got off
    my bike and attacked doing my best rabid bear imitation. Worked like a charm. I did a similar thing
    when cornered by a German Shepard once.

    I'd keep away from those squirrels, though. They're scary.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke
    up in a bathtub filled with ice and I had an extra kidney."

  8. Mark Hickey said:


    The Real Bev said:
    Mark Hickey said:

    I have a theory the best way to NOT hit a squirrel is to simply not TRY to miss it.

    Come on, admit it, you're AIMING for the little sucker!

    Heh heh heh... I doubt I'd ever hit one if I WAS aiming at it..

    Quoted message said:

    I don't see how a squirrel could shear off fork legs, and it sure seems that if you have a
    steady grip on the bars hitting the beast shouldn't be that much of a problem anyway. What are
    they, an inch thick? And the only hard part is the spine, which is much smaller.

    Next time you find a dead one, try to rip it in half.

    Different force involved. If I'd taken physics instead of English I could probably explain
    it. Or not.

    Quoted message said:

    Now imagine your fork trying to do that before failing or at the very least throwing you over the
    bars. They's skinny little devils, but they's stringy...

    If it's happened to you or a trusted friend I wouldn't dream of calling you a liar, but I would
    think that it would bend in half and get squooshed somehow. Maybe jam a wheel a little bit, but I
    just don't see how it could possibly break two aluminum tubes. Have you ever seen a squirrel's tail
    back-lit? Damn thing looks like a bottle brush. How could its body be much sturdier?

    And Buck said:

    Hey Bev! Get yourself a good-sized polish sausage (at least a foot long and an inch thick), get up
    to speed on your bike, then reach down and toss that sausage right into your spokes. When you get
    out of the hospital, let us know how well your experiment went!

    That sounds like the lead-in to a dirty joke. I think I'll skip it, thanks all the same!

    --
    Ch rs, B v
    =======================================
    My f ck ng k yb rd h s l st ts v w ls.

  9. Steve Knight said:

    O

    Quoted message said:

    The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    especially if he found you attractive (G)


    The rut is on in October isn't it? 😉 Bernie

  10. Steve Knight <[email hidden]> scribed in <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    I had the same thing with a doberman on a city street. I was already winded and I was afraid of I
    went too fast I would run out before he did. I was right I kept ahead of him till he slowed. about
    3 or 4 blocks later I came to a red light. turned back and he was after me again so I had to run
    the light (not a busy intersection) and finally he gave up. no water bottle to squirt him with as I
    have a camelback.

    turn round and chase HIM, it has never failed me yet, they RUN

    swarf, steam and wind

    --
    David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\ terrapin.ru.ac.zawelcome.html \
    / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying
    "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

  11. DiabloScott <[email hidden]> scribed in <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I was riding four abreast up hill when a squirrel ran in front of all of us. I was in the middle
    and had no where to swerve and I ran over it at about 10mph - it squeaked a little bit (twice -
    once for each wheel) but ran off in to the ditch unharmed.

    when I was in the army (conscripted) we did an excercise called fire and moevement. half the squad
    (each alternate peerson) is running forward while the other half is firing. light machine gun (belt
    fed) on the end and all. live ammo....

    I was under a tree watching the other squad in action when a rabit comes out the bush ahead of them,
    from the right. it ran all the way across the front of the squad and off to the left, followed by a
    serious cloud of dust and howling bullets. the order of movement broke up and they all just went for
    the bunny...

    how far was that? lemme think it out. 30 to a platoon, 10 to a squad, 5 meters seperation, so about
    90 meters for the squad of 10. the LMG bloke on the left gave it the rest of his 300 round belt and
    still missed (-: I laughed a lot, but wonder to this day if I could have done any better (-: (yes, I
    did tend to get high points on the rifle range, to the point where I can pick which bit of 'you' to
    injure at 200 meters, but they don't move the range targets os it's a different ballgame)

    swarf, steam and wind

    --
    David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\ terrapin.ru.ac.zawelcome.html \
    / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying
    "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

  12. "Chris Hughes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:_kBib.81934$a16.30506@lakeread01...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a deer come on the road and run alongside me for about 200 yards once. Held his line and


    could

    Quoted message said:

    be considered a good riding companion, did not seem the least bit


    suicidal.

    Quoted message said:

    Similar story, different species.

    Riding in a touring bunch, two strong riders on the front, rolling down a country road in Australia.

    Couple of kangaroos looked up from grazing in a paddock running alongside the road.

    Thought they'd give the bunch a bit of a test and started bounding beside us keeping the pace
    alongside the bunch.

    They came to a low fence, took it in their stride, comfortably keeping up with the bunch (doing
    about 30kph+)

    They a high fence blocked their way and they baulked, giving the cyclists the win by a wheel
    over a paw.

    but without that high fence I suspect they had our measure and were just toying with us ...

    best, Andrew

    "But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight; Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a
    wildcat can it fight... I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight." A B
    ‘Banjo’ Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

  13. "David L. Johnson" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No, she didn't dart out into the road, but she did stop on her bike right in the roadway, with
    no verbal warning or other indication. At that moment I was looking down. I plowed into her at
    16+ mph.

    Were you right behind her at the time, or did you really just plow into someone standing still?
    What was the "moment" you spoke of? How long was she stopped before you hit her?

    I really have no idea. It was very windy and I was riding in an aerodynamic tuck, looking up
    regularly to watch the road. I wasn't looking at other cyclists as obstacles since we were
    maintaining a regular distance, so I don't know recall where she was.

    I accept some blame for not being as attentive as obviously necessary, but IMO the squirrel, I mean
    woman, also shares the blame for stopping in the roadway during a busy century.

    Michael

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Steve Knight

    Quoted message said:

    O

    Quoted message said:

    The sound of clacking hooves behind you can be very inspiring!

    especially if he found you attractive (G)

    Maybe I should shower before I ride??

    Could it have been the Old Spice??

    HAND

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

    - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

  15. Steve Knight said:

    busy intersection) and finally he gave up. no water bottle to squirt him with as I have a
    camelback.

    Sounds a bit easier that way. You don't need to take your hands off the bars to aim; suck in a bit
    of water, squirt it out your mouth.
    --
    Rick "Can't squirt from mouth very well" Onanian

  16. The Real Bev said:

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Next time you find a dead one, try to rip it in half.

    Different force involved. If I'd taken physics instead of English I could probably explain
    it. Or not.

    Quoted message said:

    Now imagine your fork trying to do that before failing or at the very least throwing you over the
    bars. They's skinny little devils, but they's stringy...

    If it's happened to you or a trusted friend I wouldn't dream of calling you a liar, but I would
    think that it would bend in half and get squooshed somehow. Maybe jam a wheel a little bit, but I
    just don't see how it could possibly break two aluminum tubes. Have you ever seen a squirrel's tail
    back-lit? Damn thing looks like a bottle brush. How could its body be much sturdier?

    It was a carbon fiber fork, BTW. I didn't ask him how big the squirrel was, but in New Jersey, most
    of 'em are pretty large (well, for squirrels anyway). The little critter went into the wheel, then
    attempted to go through the fork probably 2/3 of the way toward the crown. It's pretty narrow there,
    and trying to force the little dear through there was just more than the fork could bear.

    A side note - he didn't even see it coming - had his head down cranking up a hill... not that it
    would have mattered much.

    I think it DOES say something about a particular failure mode of a carbon fiber fork. Maybe I could
    get him to send me photos of what's left.

    Quoted message said:
    And Buck said:

    Hey Bev! Get yourself a good-sized polish sausage (at least a foot long and an inch thick), get
    up to speed on your bike, then reach down and toss that sausage right into your spokes. When you
    get out of the hospital, let us know how well your experiment went!

    That sounds like the lead-in to a dirty joke. I think I'll skip it, thanks all the same!

    I'd imagine a sausage would be much easier to slice as well (and if that's a continuation of the
    joke, I'm not thinking about it any more...).

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  17. The Real Bev said:

    Last week I was chased by a killer chihuahua. After half a block I got tired of the yapping, got
    off my bike and attacked doing my best rabid bear imitation. Worked like a charm. I did a similar
    thing when cornered by a German Shepard once.

    you must have been going atleast 10 miles and hour or he would have over ran you right? (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  18. O

    Quoted message said:

    turn round and chase HIM, it has never failed me yet, they RUN

    it was weird he made no sound at all. ran across my path turned around and went after me. scratched
    my leg so I knew he was after human prey (G) I was going too fast to turn or stop.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  19. The Real Bev <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Last week I was chased by a killer chihuahua. After half a block I got tired of the yapping, got
    off my bike and attacked doing my best rabid bear imitation. Worked like a charm. I did a similar
    thing when cornered by a German Shepard once.

    I'd keep away from those squirrels, though. They're scary.

    Just out of couristy from everyone, what is the best thing to do when large dogs decide to chase
    you? When I do rural routes, it seems, I never fail to get chased by at least one large agressive
    dog. Some say dont go faster, that will only make it worse. Some say just keep going. Some say stop
    compleltly. What really works? Ive seen this animal mace type stuff at bike shops, but i figure
    spraying that at a good 10-15 mph might backfire on me, and hell I dont want to permeantly blind
    the animal.

    On a side note about the deer. I remember riding near a river up in Wisconsin, when suddenly I was
    engulfed in fog. If that isnt scary enough, I began to hear hoof steps. When I saw the many deer
    eyes, I realized i was pracictly in a herd of deer. I decided to dismount, for the deer were
    everywhere. One actually brushed my arm. I found it cool, and frightening all at once. After about a
    mile, I was out of the herd and the fog lifted so all was good.

    Hill

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The Real Bev <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Last week I was chased by a killer chihuahua. After half a block I got tired of the yapping, got
    off my bike and attacked doing my best rabid bear imitation. Worked like a charm. I did a
    similar thing when cornered by a German Shepard once.

    I'd keep away from those squirrels, though. They're scary.

    Just out of couristy from everyone, what is the best thing to do when large dogs decide to chase
    you? When I do rural routes, it seems, I never fail to get chased by at least one large agressive
    dog. Some say dont go faster, that will only make it worse. Some say just keep going. Some say
    stop compleltly. What really works? Ive seen this animal mace type stuff at bike shops, but i
    figure spraying that at a good 10-15 mph might backfire on me, and hell I dont want to permeantly
    blind the animal.

    What do you mean by "backfire"? Obviously you don't want to spray it directly in front of you, but
    off to the side shouldn't be a problem. It won't permanently injure the dog any more than pepper
    spray permanently injures a person. Many people swear by just squirting a dog with a water bottle.
    Others use dilute ammonia.

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.