I swear, some people

brad g

Jul 22, 2006
Had an interesting experience today. I was riding the trace with my wife and kids, and I had a guy in a mini-van run the stop sign at one of the road crossings. He and I approached the intersection at about the same time, I braked and stopped, he looked at me ( while still rolling at approx 15mph), hesitated for a second, then punched it. Now I want to make it clear that it was a 4-way stop. It really ****** me off because I had my kids with me. Luckily, I tend to go ahead of them and make sure the road is clear, or I make sure they stop for whatever vehicle is coming. I really would have liked to "talk" to that guy, you know, a one on one, heart to heart kinda talk, but I would have had to leave my family to chase him down. I also learned about the "elite" cyclists, you know the type, pro team jerseys, carbon fiber bike, etc, the ones that pretend that you're invisible when you encounter them on the path. I must admit, they are the minority around here though. I met up with six road bikers today on the trace, four of them nodded or waved, two of them decided a fellow cyclist wasn't worth the effort. That kind of attitude is sickening and unnecessary. Reminds me of Harley riders.

We've all had lots of run ins with bozo drivers. I find that throwing a water bottle and denting their car to be the best heart to heart talk I can think of.

As far as stuck up cyclists. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Some cyclists are so involved in what their doing they tend to live in their own world. Their not being rude or elitists, their just focused on getting a good ride. I always try to wave, but there have been times where I'm tired or just have my head down and not really paying attention to anyone else. Too many people judge other cyclists by what their using and not using and your gear doesn't have anything to do with it. Comparing a serious roadie to a fat alcoholic harley rider isn't what I would do. I consider myself a nice guy and I ride a $7000 carbon bike and dress in expensive cycling cloths. If anything it's usually those that aren't as much into it that are often the ones that don't want to wave and say hi.

brad g said:
That kind of attitude is sickening and unnecessary. Reminds me of Harley riders.
I wouldn't think of someone not saying hello as 'sickening':confused:

I mean really, if someone says hello then great! If they don't then its their loss not yours! geez....

I may have jumped to conclusions about the cyclists, one of them did seem pretty involved in his ride and the other really didn't seem to be trying too hard, maybe he was having a bad day. I try to be friendly to like minded individuals, even when I'm focused or having a bad day, but that's just me. I do like the look of someone that dresses the part, and believe me, if I could afford a high dollar carbon bike, I would be riding one. I wasn't meaning to label all cyclists that have the means to that end, for that I sincerely apologize. The last thing I want to come off as is judgemental of another, that's just not my place. I guess riding street bikes for so long has gotten me used to throwing a wave to every other bike that passes. Since I'm new at the cycling scene, I'm not on my turf anymore and will need time to learn the dynamics and idiosyncrasies of the people that participate in this activity. The Harley rider comment was a bit harsh as well. I know plenty of Harley riders that aren't stuck up, but also plenty that are, and I shouldn't lump them together either. Thank you for the chin check, I needed it.

It really boils down to personal expectations and sensibilities.

A driver that deliberately guns it through an intersection does so because they know they can beat you. It's just type A behavior. It's not personal nor anything against cyclists per se. There are jerks behind the wheel. For that matter there are also jerks pedaling bikes.

Waving or not waving. I enjoy meeting people on my bike rides. When it comes down to it I like the cycling comaraderie. I wave at many people I pass while riding. Some do not return the wave. I try not to own someone else's problem, if you get my drift. When I encouter someone I think is being rude, I let it go, for far be it for me to judge someone else. I agree with heathb that some are not being rude, but focused and oblivious to their surroundings. I'm like that myself sometimes. Some folks are actually training or pushing themselves hard and are just not sociable with other cyclists.

One of my peeves is the cyclist that overtakes me, but does not give the courtesy of calling out, "on your left." One of my favorite ripostes is to call out as they pull away, "cat got your tongue?"

Insight Driver said:
I try not to own someone else's problem, if you get my drift.
I like that, it seems to hit the nail squarely on the head.

brad g said:
That kind of attitude is sickening and unnecessary. Reminds me of Harley riders.
I wave to cyclists quite often. Some don't return the greeting, but often I think it's because they're either spaced out and not paying attention, or they're negotiating with traffic, and don't want to remove a hand for safety reasons. Whatever the case, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes cyclists nod, and that's easy to miss. They're on a bicycle, so I consider them cool - period!

The numbers of cyclists has really increased around here this summer. If I waved to all of them, I'd always have one hand on the handlebar! This is a good thing...

I wish we had more cyclists around here. We have a great bike path, it used to be a railroad but was converted in a move the parish president called "rails to trails". The path is 31 miles long and I rode 19 miles of it yesterday. I only saw a handful of cyclists, no joggers or skaters, and 3 women walking. The trace is a beautiful place to ride and I can't see why it isn't bustling with activity. I guess the heat around here might have something to do with it. Or maybe the helmet requirement is running cyclists off. I'll just have to see if more people come out when it cools off.

Insight Driver said:
One of my peeves is the cyclist that overtakes me, but does not give the courtesy of calling out, "on your left." One of my favorite ripostes is to call out as they pull away, "cat got your tongue?"
i never say anything, i give them alot of room or i get next to them so they see me, i have said "im on your left" then all they hear is "left" and move to the left, not good. usually its the riders on huffy bikes that ride with a cadence on 15 who mess that up.

brad g said:
I wish we had more cyclists around here. We have a great bike path, it used to be a railroad but was converted in a move the parish president called "rails to trails". The path is 31 miles long and I rode 19 miles of it yesterday. I only saw a handful of cyclists, no joggers or skaters, and 3 women walking. The trace is a beautiful place to ride and I can't see why it isn't bustling with activity. I guess the heat around here might have something to do with it. Or maybe the helmet requirement is running cyclists off. I'll just have to see if more people come out when it cools off.
The St Tammany Trace is a great asset to our parish. It is well kept and patrolled often. The parish cleaned it up rather quickly after that nasty Katrina thing. Don't get offended by the other cyclists not waving, as stated before there a quite a few serious cyclists that get in their zone when training. Try to teach the kids to stay on the left and not span across the path blocking the way for faster riders. As for the numers of cyclists or lack of, alot of people leave early in the am (5-6 am) to avoid the heat and humidity. (95°F & 95% hunidity are not very fun to do 40-50 miles in). Try getting on at the Mandeville trailhead and head west go to Abita and get off for lunch at the Abita Cafe than ride back(18-20 miles) or get on at the caboose by Koop Dr. and heat north foir a bit more senic ride. Saturday is always busy on the trace. If you see and overage, overweight guy on a black Felt f55 huffing and puffing while leaving a steady stream of sweat, give me a nod and I will always retrun the favor

-gawnfishin

gawnfishin said:
The St Tammany Trace is a great asset to our parish. It is well kept and patrolled often. The parish cleaned it up rather quickly after that nasty Katrina thing. Don't get offended by the other cyclists not waving, as stated before there a quite a few serious cyclists that get in their zone when training. Try to teach the kids to stay on the left and not span across the path blocking the way for faster riders. As for the numers of cyclists or lack of, alot of people leave early in the am (5-6 am) to avoid the heat and humidity. (95°F & 95% hunidity are not very fun to do 40-50 miles in). Try getting on at the Mandeville trailhead and head west go to Abita and get off for lunch at the Abita Cafe than ride back(18-20 miles) or get on at the caboose by Koop Dr. and heat north foir a bit more senic ride. Saturday is always busy on the trace. If you see and overage, overweight guy on a black Felt f55 huffing and puffing while leaving a steady stream of sweat, give me a nod and I will always retrun the favor

-gawnfishin
I'll be the one dying of heat exhaustion mounted to the back of a silver Trek 7.2FX. Hope to see ya sometime!

IEatRice4Dinner said:
i never say anything, i give them alot of room or i get next to them so they see me, i have said "im on your left" then all they hear is "left" and move to the left, not good. usually its the riders on huffy bikes that ride with a cadence on 15 who mess that up.
Amen! I give people plenty of room when I can, especially if they're squirrels, but, the worst was when I was on a ride (Tour de Tucson, I think it was) with a bazillion people and narrow shoulders (with lots of cars, of course). So I pass this woman apparently close enough to be violating her space because she let's out this blood-curdling scream in my right ear...:rolleyes: Look, lady, your only obligation in being passed is to ride in a straight line, I'll take care of the rest...JHC!

Oh, 'sorry, I forgot to also mention that doing things to people's cars and stuff...uhhh, I wouldn't recommend it. Around these parts, it's such a personal thing that someone's liable to chase you down and run you over, so letting it go would be the better decision.

I also learned about the "elite" cyclists, you know the type, pro team jerseys, carbon fiber bike, etc, the ones that pretend that you're invisible when you encounter them on the path.
I have a carbon fiber bike but I know who you're talking about. I get lots of odd looks because I have a blue bike, whatever color jersey I want to wear today, and a bright red helment (I want a new helment to match the bike, but I'm not ready to buy a new one). I'm that tacky rider, and sometimes I just wear athletic wear instead of a jersey top.

I was once laughed at while walking my old bike (2001 trek 1000) leaving the bike shop by this arrogant jerk. That arrogant jerk showed up at our local annual bike ride and I passed him with his team Discovery and Madone like he was standing still. So it dosen't matter what you have or wear but if you're fast or not.

If you could have caught that jerk in the van, I think you should have. It sure would have scared the **** out of him!

Oh, I'm sure I've been snickered at more than once, since I don't wear bike shorts or jerseys. I tend to don athletic apparel for my rides, but my reason is that since I'm not down to my target weight, I don't want to buy clothes right now. I've dropped 2 pant sizes and one shirt size since starting my routine, so none of my clothes fit properly, but I will deal with it until I reach my goal, then go for the new wardrobe. I guess my reward in the end will be a nice pair of bike shorts and a jersey:D

brad g said:
... I guess my reward in the end will be a nice pair of bike shorts and a jersey:D
Hey, Brad, can you buy clothing in your target size and wear it now?! I mean, so it'll stretch a little, just wash it in hot...:D

wait... are you offended if each other cyclist doesn't wave at you??? did you ever think that maybe they're not being rude... they just don't want to wave to every person on the bike path. for some people who ride a lot, it would be simply too much waving to try to wave to every other cyclist. when you drive your car, do you wave to every person you pass on the freeway? of course not... doesn't make you an "elite" driver, doesn't mean you're spaced out, doesn't mean you're rude, and it doesn't mean you're having a bad day... it just means you have better things to do than sit there and wave at every passing car. so enjoy the ride, and quit counting waves... much more fun that way!!

WINGNUTT said:
wait... are you offended if each other cyclist doesn't wave at you??? did you ever think that maybe they're not being rude... they just don't want to wave to every person on the bike path. for some people who ride a lot, it would be simply too much waving to try to wave to every other cyclist. when you drive your car, do you wave to every person you pass on the freeway? of course not... doesn't make you an "elite" driver, doesn't mean you're spaced out, doesn't mean you're rude, and it doesn't mean you're having a bad day... it just means you have better things to do than sit there and wave at every passing car. so enjoy the ride, and quit counting waves... much more fun that way!!

I think some newer riders believe that cycling is some kind of fraternity that they're automatically a member of when they ride. They want acknowledgement from the more experienced members and they feel shunned when they don't get it. While on one hand we've all got something in common, it's not enough of a bond that we have to greet everyone we see on a bike. Two riders meeting in the middle of nowhere would certainlly give each other a wave, but dozens of riders on a busy path need not bother.

And speaking to the clothing issue - Brad thinks he's been snickered at for not having the right clothes, but it could be because he wasn't riding a straight line or some other skill deficiency. An experienced rider can tell a squirrel from a skilled cyclist no matter what they're wearing or riding.

So Brad, you handled your incident with the driver pretty well, the only advice I might add is to assume drivers are going to do the stupidest thing possible and prepare for it - defensive riding keeps you and your family safe.

Keep waving and nodding to everyone if you like, but if people don't return the wave it doesn't necessarily mean they're snooty.

Most trail users and nearly all road riders will expect a certain skill level and understanding of cycling etiquette and protocol from you, the surest way to get yelled at is to display a lack of regard for these conventions.