Road Cycling · Public discussion

I was SMOKIN' on the rollers today

Started by Psycholist · · Last activity · 6 posts · 787 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 December 2003
Last activity
6 December 2003
Original author
Psycholist
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
787
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we had
    rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space heater going
    full blast it was still under 40 in the building.

    I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
    freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As I
    stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a wet road
    after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very weird. It was also very
    weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and 32 mph over the course of a
    typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph. When I started it was like I
    was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were rubbing. No such luck.

    All things I'll have to get used to on these wet winter days.

    Bob C.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we
    had rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space heater
    going full blast it was still under 40 in the building.

    I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
    freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As I
    stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a wet
    road after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very

    When the air's humid (near saturation), it doesn't take much to do that.

    Quoted message said:

    weird. It was also very weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and
    32 mph over the course of a typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph.
    When I started it was like I was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were
    rubbing. No such luck.

    The lube in the rollers was probably rather stiff from the cold (your wheels might have some of
    that, too).

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  3. In article said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently moved out to a small house in the country. Great riding when it's nice. But today we
    had rain/ice and I was forced to ride rollers in a little out-building. With a little space
    heater going full blast it was still under 40 in the building.

    I wore knickers, a long-sleeve, polypropylene shirt, polypro liner gloves and a bandana. I was
    freezing at the start, but I was fine in a few minutes. I took a water break after 1/2 hour. As
    I stood there drinking, I noticed there was vapor coming off all my clothes like you see on a
    wet road after a rain. It wasn't just a little, either. I was SMOKIN'! It was very

    When the air's humid (near saturation), it doesn't take much to do that.

    I'm a pretty sweaty guy, and in Vancouver I get this effect all the time. I've had so much vapor
    come off my body that it looked like I was smoldering during my commute. I can see the vapor in
    front of my eyes, at a range of mere inches. The commuters must think I'm on fire.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    weird. It was also very weird that I normally cruise on the rollers at an average between 30 and
    32 mph over the course of a typical 75 minute workout. In the cold I suffered to average 26 mph.
    When I started it was like I was riding in mud. I actually got off to see if my brakes were
    rubbing. No such luck.

    The lube in the rollers was probably rather stiff from the cold (your wheels might have some of
    that, too).

    Yeah, and the lube in his knees, too.

    I'm going to start tracking my commute times more carefully. It looks to me like I'm down minutes on
    my typical times from last year, and I'm beginning to think it's not just the slightly clunkier bike
    I have now.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  4. Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I'm going to start tracking my commute times more carefully. It looks to me like I'm down minutes
    : on my typical times from last year, and I'm beginning to think it's not just the slightly clunkier
    : bike I have now.

    well, what did you expect ryan? just the talk of fenders, city-bikes, recumbants, reynolds 531, 32
    spoke wheels and commuting would be enuf to slow you down ... much less, god only knows, what
    you've actually done to that bike beyond just words. slightly clunkier? you wish. it probably
    weighs 23 poounds.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  5. "David Reuteler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    well, what did you expect ryan? just the talk of fenders, city-bikes, recumbants, reynolds 531, 32
    spoke wheels and commuting would be enuf to


    slow

    Quoted message said:

    you down ... much less, god only knows, what you've actually done to that bike beyond just words.
    slightly clunkier? you wish. it probably weighs 23 poounds.

    What kind of respectable commuter bike weighs less than 30 pounds? Any thing less than that and
    it is either too expensive, too pretty, doesn't have proper weather protection, doesn't have
    enough load-carrying capacity, needs more lights, or has to be leaned against a wall when it's
    not being ridden!

    -Buck

  6. On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:39:25 GMT, "Buck" <s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c

    o m said:

    What kind of respectable commuter bike weighs less than 30 pounds? Any thing less than that and
    it is either too expensive, too pretty, doesn't have proper weather protection, doesn't have
    enough load-carrying capacity, needs more lights, or has to be leaned against a wall when it's
    not being ridden!

    Heh, my commuter bike (which is also my only bike) weighs 36 pounds, is neither very expensive nor
    pretty, doesn't have any weather protection (don't need it), any load-carrying capacity besides
    myself (don't need it), definately does not need more light (the light system costs more than the
    bike) and must be leaned against a wall, yeah.

    Doesn't seem to be very respectable, yet does more than 11 miles commuting a day every workday the
    whole year 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.